PDA

View Full Version : Fletching for long range

DougH9
01-03-2009, 08:37 PM
I am a new archer and seem to enjoy shooting at 70 yards the most (I love the flight time and trajectory). I bought my first set of arrows with Blazers set straight (the recomendation of the vendor), but am wondering if I should get arrows that will impart a little spin in them.

I understand that spinning arrows tend to be more accurate, but loose speed faster. So for shooting at 70 yards (and maybe 80 when I get another pin), would I be better of with straight fletching, or one that imparts a spin?

Any information much appreciated.

L-train
01-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Straight fletch with offset will spin them fine, which is really more for BHs than feild tips. But I like my arrows spinnin. I shoot regularly out to 120 yrds as I also enjoy watching the arrow soar.

Chupacabras
01-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Kurly vanes made of mylar, but they are fragile. Do a search they have a website.

standsitter
01-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Any offset or helical will increase your downrange speed decay, but will stabilize the arrow better as it slows down. At the ranges you are talking about I think the difference in straight to offset will require different sight settings do to increased arrow drop.

TEXAS 10PT
01-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Straight fletch with offset will spin them fine, which is really more for BHs than feild tips. But I like my arrows spinnin. I shoot regularly out to 120 yrds as I also enjoy watching the arrow soar.

I have seen what Lonnie can do at that distance and he is very good at it. Came in handy at the Double J last October.

TEXAS

TANC
01-03-2009, 11:14 PM
I am a new archer and seem to enjoy shooting at 70 yards the most (I love the flight time and trajectory). I bought my first set of arrows with Blazers set straight (the recomendation of the vendor), but am wondering if I should get arrows that will impart a little spin in them.

I understand that spinning arrows tend to be more accurate, but loose speed faster. So for shooting at 70 yards (and maybe 80 when I get another pin), would I be better of with straight fletching, or one that imparts a spin?

Any information much appreciated.

What kind of arrows are they ?

bowhunter
01-04-2009, 12:47 AM
I too have Blazers and also bought their fletching jig (Bohning) which is preset at the factory at 2 degree offset.

standsitter
01-04-2009, 12:53 AM
I have seen what Lonnie can do at that distance and he is very good at it. Came in handy at the Double J last October.

TEXAS
Elaborate please.

TEXAS 10PT
01-04-2009, 01:00 AM
We hunted together last year for Elk. When I got to Colorado we went to his range club where he consistently nailed 3D targets in the kill zone from 67-102 yards. Elk & Caribou. He came to my ranch in October out in West Texas and killed a nice Mulie and it wasn't at 20 yards!!!!!:tape2:

TEXAS

Ringtail
01-04-2009, 01:06 AM
Jeff - Mule Deer....

Lonnie - Where....

Jeff - Waaayyyy out there...wait a few

Lonnie - Nope, I'm going long....

(zip.............................................. .................................................. .......thwack)

Jeff - my God man......

standsitter
01-04-2009, 01:07 AM
We hunted together last year for Elk. When I got to Colorado we went to his range club where he consistently nailed 3D targets in the kill zone from 67-102 yards. Elk & Caribou. He came to my ranch in October out in West Texas and killed a nice Mulie and it wasn't at 20 yards!!!!!:tape2:

TEXAS
Thanks, Do you guys think long shots like that are tough?? if you have a rangefinder and the sight settings it might not be as hard as you think. I know I can hit my whitetail broadhead target every time at 80yds if I set a pin for it.

TEXAS 10PT
01-04-2009, 01:13 AM
Thanks, Do you guys think long shots like that are tough?? if you have a rangefinder and the sight settings it might not be as hard as you think. I know I can hit my whitetail broadhead target every time at 80yds if I set a pin for it.

Its not that tough if you practice at long ranges all year long. He had a rangefinder and pins to go longer than the shot was. Mulie went 60-80 yards max and the hemmorage was massive.

TEXAS

Ringtail
01-04-2009, 01:18 AM
four Mini Blazers work great....but like Jeff said, year around practice is a have-to-do...

Maybee-R
01-04-2009, 01:29 AM
Like Jeff said lots of practice will help.
Long shots you need to know when its the right time or not too.
Lonnie has lots of time and knowledge of the right conditions for that type of shot. he wouldn't try it in a high wind scenario.

TEXAS 10PT
01-04-2009, 01:33 AM
Like Jeff said lots of practice will help.
Long shots you need to know when its the right time or not too.
Lonnie has lots of time and knowledge of the right conditions for that type of shot. he wouldn't try it in a high wind scenario.

Exactly and it was a very cold calm morning.

TEXAS

DougH9
01-04-2009, 02:07 AM
"What kind of arrows are they ?"

Easton Epic ST 340's, with a 100 grain field tip. Bow is a 29/70 GT-500.

TANC
01-04-2009, 09:37 AM
"What kind of arrows are they ?"

Easton Epic ST 340's, with a 100 grain field tip. Bow is a 29/70 GT-500.

If you are talking about shooting broadheads that far, then blazers with as much offset as you can get on them, quickspins, 4" vanes, or feathers would be my recommendation.

If you're just asking about fieldpoints, then mini-blazers or 1.8" 3D Duravanes would be great choices.

L-train
01-04-2009, 11:04 AM
I would suggest trying a heavier tip to up your FOC, it helps with long range shooting. This is why serious FITA shooters drop hundreds of dollars on 12 tungsten points it moves the weight further to the front of the arrow.
I use epics as well, very underrated shaft, but mine are 400s with 125 up front.

danialreed
01-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Ok so for hunting you guys suggest 3 blazers over 4 minis for broadheads? Let's say out to 60yds.

TEXAS 10PT
01-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Ok so for hunting you guys suggest 3 blazers over 4 minis for broadheads? Let's say out to 60yds.

I use 4 mini's for all my broadheads and when I was sighting in for my Elk hunt in September, wassaw was watching me. I cut a 1 1/2" flo orange target in half with a 125gr Silver Flame at 50 yards and was 2" off at 60 yards. Those are my results with Mini's. I would suggest using whatever works best for you. I like the results I get with the mini's so that's why I use them.

TEXAS

L-train
01-04-2009, 08:19 PM
4 minis !

TEXAS 10PT
01-04-2009, 08:32 PM
4 minis launched at 103 yards!!!! LMAO !

Thanks for that input Lonnie:hail:

TEXAS

L-train
01-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks for that input Lonnie:hail:

TEXAS

Shouldn't you be buying a old bow somewhere?:moon:

DougH9
01-04-2009, 09:35 PM
OK- I am thinking about going with the Mini-Blazers (I still have to pick three fletch or four, but I am leaning toward three).

How much offset would be ideal (2 or 4 deg.)?

The company I was going to purchase through (Hunter's Friend) only lists 4 deg. on thier website. If I need 2 deg. (for less drag), than I will call and see if that is an option (or find another vendor ((or do them myself!)).

I like the idea of "just enough" twist to get the job done, and none more.

L-train
01-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Target only 3 will be fine. For any broadhead use, 4 with offset.

DougH9
01-06-2009, 04:48 PM
I went with 3 mini-Blazers, 2 degree offset. These will be my field-point only practice arrows. Now I need to address my straight-fletched hunting arrows. I think I will fletch them with either 4 minis (offset 2 deg.), or 3 of the new X2 Blazers (offset 2deg.).

I thank all of you who helped me with your responses.

Doug.