PDA

View Full Version : Shot the Monster... NOT impressed

Z28 Shooter
03-12-2009, 12:08 AM
All I can say is the only thing "Monster" about it is the draw cycle. The bow was set at around 70lbs and it pulled like a fridge in quicksand. The first half of the pull was great, but the last half you kind of had to "pop" it into the valley. The one positive I will say is that it did hold nice at full draw and there was little to no hand shock.

Of course it was fast and all that jazz, but seriously why sacrifice the draw cycle. I'm not that small of a guy and it gave me troubles to where it was not comfortable. I can shoot my new Z at 73 lbs for 70 shots with no break and it's still easier than one pull with the Matthews. Not worth the money at all IMO.

What do you guys think who have shot it? Just another reason for me to be glad i'm holding an Elite.

zach
03-12-2009, 12:34 AM
If you have trouble pulling it that's saying something! The speeds look good on paper but I agree the z is plenty fast and super smooth, hope mine comes in soon!

Stuka1166
03-12-2009, 01:11 AM
The MONSTER is a SPEED BOW...Where do you think the speed comes from ???

You have to sacrifice something in order to get the IBO's the bow companies are claiming...I shot the Omen...Smooth..YES...But still a tug in the draw cycle...Would I want to shoot it 70 times for my indoor league...No thanks !!!

Is it good for hunting or 3D where you take a shot, then a walk...Absolutely...Plus with those speeds range estimation on the 3D course is not as critical.

That is why they make bows for every taste... :)

Rattlinman
03-12-2009, 09:36 AM
I shot the beast a couple of times and I was pleasantly surprised by it. Your right on the money about the little hump at the back of the draw...but to get 339 fps at 29" with a peep and loop(70/351), it's gonna have to build it somewhere.

No handshock, no jump, shockingly quiet and a good valley was what I was impressed with. I set it to 60 lbs and really felt I could shoot it well with little problems. I actually would buy it before the Reeson, that bow didn't feel right to me at all.

As Stucka said, it IS a speed bow, your gonna have to sacrifice something to get 360 fps out of a bow....but I think they may have a winner there.

At least they came out with something other than the Drenalin #5 or whatever they want to call last years/new bow.

No bias here, just my opinion...:thumb:

zach
03-12-2009, 11:16 AM

That is a very astute observation...thank you. All he was saying is that the draw cycle is not great, that's to be expected but his point was why do you need it. Look at some bow specs, compared to most the GT500 and Z28 would be considered SPEED BOWS...but still have great brace height and draw cycles.

bowhunt2
03-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Shot it, don't like it. When I can get a smoother drawing bow with very little hand shock and respectable speeds to boot. I'll take the Elites! JMO

Archery Machine
03-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Here is my view on the Monster. I own an XLR and love it.....Not looking to replace it anytime soon.

BUT.....I was at my dealer yesterday and they had a Monster in there. So of course i grabbed it and shot some arrows through it. I was actually very impressed. I used to shoot the X Force and this was every bit as good. I thought the draw was very managable. Little to no vibration or jump. Looks pretty cool to.

But after I shot it......We picked up my buddies new Z28.

Stixshooter
03-12-2009, 03:46 PM
That is a very astute observation...thank you. All he was saying is that the draw cycle is not great, that's to be expected but his point was why do you need it. Look at some bow specs, compared to most the GT500 and Z28 would be considered SPEED BOWS...but still have great brace height and draw cycles.

Ding Ding !! We have a winner... The Monster gets it's speed from the BH... The draw cycle doesn't have to suck so much (Based on feedback, I've have yet to shoot one) ...take a "Z" down to a 6" BH and what kinda speeds would you have? Yep very close to a Monster and still the sweet draw cycle

I'd better be careful the Mathews fan boy plants are going to show up and flame me ...

:crazy:

Rattlinman
03-12-2009, 04:05 PM
So your saying if a new bow comes out, some of shoot it and like it...then we're FANBOYS ? How open-minded of you...

I also shot a Sentinal that same night, it shot pretty nice too, am I a Bowtech fanboy too???

And I beg to differ, if the Z could be shortened to make a speed bow, then it would have been done. It takes a little more than just shortening the brace, I agree that is one component, but not the do-all done that of bow engineering. :dancebanana1si:

cbarber
03-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Ding Ding !! We have a winner... The Monster gets it's speed from the BH... The draw cycle doesn't have to suck so much (Based on feedback, I've have yet to shoot one) ...take a "Z" down to a 6" BH and what kinda speeds would you have? Yep very close to a Monster and still the sweet draw cycle

I'd better be careful the Mathews fan boy plants are going to show up and flame me ...

:crazy:

I don't understand why it always has to do with brace height with you. and more than bh plays into speed. you can't just chop limbs off and increase your power stroke. cams,limbs and risers all play a part of it.

for the sake of arguement, would the draw still suck on the monster(based on you, baseing off others) if it was offered in a 7"bh version?

Stixshooter
03-12-2009, 04:56 PM
I don't understand why it always has to do with brace height with you. and more than bh plays into speed. you can't just chop limbs off and increase your power stroke. cams,limbs and risers all play a part of it.

for the sake of arguement, would the draw still suck on the monster(based on you, baseing off others) if it was offered in a 7"bh version?

I don't see how BH effects draw curve?

Stixshooter
03-12-2009, 05:01 PM
So your saying if a new bow comes out, some of shoot it and like it...then we're FANBOYS ? How open-minded of you...

I also shot a Sentinal that same night, it shot pretty nice too, am I a Bowtech fanboy too???

And I beg to differ, if the Z could be shortened to make a speed bow, then it would have been done. It takes a little more than just shortening the brace, I agree that is one component, but not the do-all done that of bow engineering. :dancebanana1si:

I shoot all kinds of bows ... just shot a Reezen and an Admiral the other day it's just the certain crowd that can't quite let go...

The Z is a speed bow ... What do you want !!???

Kevin could easily do it if he had wanted too ... (That is make a shorty BH bow) He's done it before... several times

I give up .....

nagster
03-12-2009, 05:06 PM
I would love to get to shoot the monster, I bet its awesome

Rattlinman
03-12-2009, 05:06 PM
I don't see how BH effects draw curve?

Well G-whiz, you think maybe thats why the XLR draws smoother than the GT500 ? They have the same cam....so it can't be there, right ?

I know...it's magic !! :tape2:

Stixshooter
03-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Well G-whiz, you think maybe thats why the XLR draws smoother than the GT500 ? They have the same cam....so it can't be there, right ?

I know...it's magic !! :tape2:

You have got to be kidding me ....

Rattlinman
03-12-2009, 05:11 PM
I shoot all kinds of bows ... just shot a Reezen and an Admiral the other day it's just the certain crowd that can't quite let go...

Kevin could easily do it if he had wanted too ... (That is make a shorty BH bow) He's done it before... several times

I give up .....

Actually the Z is NOT a speed bow, it's a hunting bow, just like the AM32, Bowmadness, and Drenalin.

You started it when you called us fanboys, but I accept your resignation.:tribe:

Stixshooter
03-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Actually the Z is NOT a speed bow, it's a hunting bow, just like the AM32, Bowmadness, and Drenalin.

You started it when you called us fanboys, but I accept your resignation.:tribe:

I didn't call you anything .......

Little sensitive?

Z vs. Dren...? yea...

All right agree to disagree ... :2thunbs:

Haggy50
03-12-2009, 08:21 PM
I knew what you meant when you said Mathews fanboys Stix!:freakjam:

Z28 Shooter
03-12-2009, 09:56 PM

You have to sacrifice something in order to get the IBO's the bow companies are claiming...I shot the Omen...Smooth..YES...But still a tug in the draw cycle...Would I want to shoot it 70 times for my indoor league...No thanks !!!

Is it good for hunting or 3D where you take a shot, then a walk...Absolutely...Plus with those speeds range estimation on the 3D course is not as critical.

That is why they make bows for every taste... :)

Thaks for the all caps, that really cleared it up for me. I thought the monster was more for 3-d :flush:. I think it would be best if you didn't talk anymore. Thanks.

Stuka1166
03-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Dear Mr. Z-28 Shooter...

Didn't know you were SO SENSITIVE...I apologize !!!

RenegadeIndian
03-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Children.................

Z28 Shooter
03-13-2009, 12:38 AM
Your post exudes maturity as well. Seriously, I was just giving my opinion on a bow, didn't need a speech on how it's a speed bow, that's obvious. Sorry, I guess for giving an opinion:noidea:

Stuka1166
03-13-2009, 01:22 AM
Fair enough...No harm, no foul

realmfg
03-13-2009, 01:25 AM
[QUOTE=Stixshooter;197727]I shoot all kinds of bows ... just shot a Reezen and an Admiral the other day it's just the certain crowd that can't quite let go...

QUOTE]

The Z is not a speed bow my man.

RenegadeIndian
03-13-2009, 01:31 AM
Speed is a matter of perception..........so anything north of 300FPS would be a speed bow in my opinion.......a shootable bow on the other hand is an entirely different argument....can we move on........

Stixshooter
03-13-2009, 02:07 AM
[quote=Stixshooter;197727]I shoot all kinds of bows ... just shot a Reezen and an Admiral the other day it's just the certain crowd that can't quite let go...

QUOTE]

The Z is not a speed bow my man.

Yea what's the IBO ???

Speed bow with forgiveness in my book

If 340 ish ain't a speed bow then what is? Still many marketed under 320 ....A hunter speed bow at the least

CATrapper
03-13-2009, 02:34 AM
"340ish"?? More like 320ish, which by the way, is plenty fast but let's not stretch the truth too much.

Stixshooter
03-13-2009, 03:07 AM
"340ish"?? More like 320ish, which by the way, is plenty fast but let's not stretch the truth too much.

Straight from Elite's website .....

Z-28

ATA - 32 1/2”

BH - 8”

Draw Length - 27-30”

Draw Weight - 60-80 lbs

IBO Speed - 336 FPS

What other bow with that much brace has those #ers???? Looks like 340 ish to me..

Now why is the GT500 faster?? That's right ... 1" less Brace ... same cam...

ATA - 34 7/8”

BH - 7 1/8”

Draw Length - 27-30”

Draw Weight - 60-90 lbs

IBO Speed - 346 FPS (10 fps for every 1" BH)

Now why is the Monster 360? That's right ..2" less brace ... (That's +20fps) Ya'll see the trend here?

Cams and limbs are at their design limits ... you can't have a square draw force curve ... Don't you think the likes of Matt, Kevin and the Shepleys could have boosted IBO's significantly w/o shortening BH's by now? Actually Kevin has came the closest of them all .......

All Elite's seem to me to be "speed bows" in their given segments ...

I think I'm starting to understand how Obama got elected....

HoPaLONg
03-13-2009, 04:09 AM
Obama got elected????? Shooooot where have i been?

Rattlinman
03-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Speed is a matter of perception..........so anything north of 300FPS would be a speed bow in my opinion.......a shootable bow on the other hand is an entirely different argument....can we move on........

If 300 fps is the bottom for a "speed" bow, then almost every new bow out there is a "speed" bow. My 42" ProElite ibo's at 315, but I would hardly call it a speed bow. I do however agree on the "shootable" part, my belief is that's why Kevin hasn't built one yet to bring to market...he wants it to be shootable too.

Stixshooter.....I thought you gave up ? :bye2:

RenegadeIndian
03-13-2009, 12:16 PM
“Speed and forgiveness were like water and oil…you could never mix the two,” says Gene Shands, BowTech Marketing Director. “That’s history! In the past, the Black Knight had been a love-hate relationship. You either loved it or it was too aggressive. That’s no longer the case. Bowhunters will be impressed with the speed and shootability of the new Black Knight, and they’ll enjoy the experience.
"BowTech, Inc. (www.bowtecharchery.com (http://www.bowtecharchery.com/)), the manufacturer and distributor of the world’s fastest bows, was founded in 1999 by CEO and Chairman of the Board, John Strasheim, and by Vice President of Research and Development, Kevin Strother. BowTech continues to be the fastest growing bow company in history. The company holds patents on the world’s fastest single, dual, and three cam bows, along with the patent-pending SandTrap Technology. Each is a BowTech original."

SOURCE: http://www.fastestbows.com/press/2002/bowtech_pr_bk2.htm

That was back in 2002.

Wonder what the industry views are on speed and forgiveness now and what they have to say about the GT500........whatcha think Kevin??

Oh and for the record: I have nothing but fond memories of the BK2.....that was until my string slap of 2003.....

Elite_Kevin
03-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Building a "all out" speed bow is pretty easy.

Yea shorten the brace to 5" make a very aggressive draw force curve that "fall off the cliff" at the end of the draw cycle and BAM. SPEED BOW.

I am the biggest speed freak in the world, thus why I always shoot heavy weight bows with light arrows. But I also know that they are more critical to shoot, even though I see guys post about how accurate they are with their 5-6" brace bows.

I have built lots of true 'Speed bows" in the past, I mostly remember the comments of "Its fast but too hard to draw". The other one is "Yea its fast but the brace height is too short". And my all time favorite D.A. comment is "It just makes for a faster miss".

When and if I make another true "Speed Bow" it will be a shootable Speed bow. :nahnahbooboo:

RenegadeIndian
03-13-2009, 12:45 PM
When and if I make another true "Speed Bow" it will be a shootable Speed bow. :nahnahbooboo:

I think everyone here is going to hold you to it, me included......:freak:

Just 1 More
03-13-2009, 12:57 PM

WELL????? Let's git with it :pop2:

bowhunter
03-13-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm a little apprehensive in shooting it due to it looking like a PSE XForce. My shoulder was already tender when I took it upon myself to shoot the Xforce, Result; Had to turn my 70# bow down to low 60's because when I drew it back and finally got it over the "slight" hump the arrow came off the rest, and I had to let it down, and of coarse it wanted to "go", and I had to keep it from going, and well... OUCH!!!!

TEXAS 10PT
03-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Well I tried the Monster today and all my Elite bows have nothing to worry about. The draw cycle started out nice but it loaded up to peak weight late in the draw and then dropped hard after hitting the let off almost like the Hoyt Trykon did. Not as severe but close. It held ok and it shot fast. I didn't notice any hand shock and the bow was extremely quiet. I still don't like that big wooden grip that Mathews has. Other than the grip and draw cycle this could be a pretty good bow. I would never be able to get used to the draw cycle after shooting Elites for so long....there's really no comparison. Should be a good seller for the Mathews fanboys.

TEXAS