PDA

View Full Version : ? on torque and 09 Z??

archer58inPA
06-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Just want to throw a question out to there on the 09 Z28's.
I've struggled w/ torque issues on my GT. Tried torqueless grips and still have a minor issue.
Is the 09 Z28 any different in the grip area? I heard that it's made
a little fatter at the riser.
Info and thoughts please???

Daniel Boone
06-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Seems to be working for me. I do think the grips are designed pretty good. I just have fat paws and I believe thinner works for me.
DB

KARBON
06-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Not sure but If you have a torquless grip lying around...

I'LL BUY IT!greenwithenvy

L-train
06-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Seems to be working for me. I do think the grips are designed pretty good. I just have fat paws and I believe thinner works for me.
DB

DB you are shooting off of the grip, it is machined into the bow, you dont have sideplates;)

Not sure on differences in the gt vs. z, I do know that the GT torque issue, "might" be a very small spacer adjust.

Daniel Boone
06-18-2009, 02:52 PM
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z289/okiebwhtr/Picture494.jpg
DB you are shooting off of the grip, it is machined into the bow, you dont have sideplates;)

GT500, Not sure on differences in the gt vs. z, I do know that the GT torque issue, "might" be a very small spacer adjust.

Getting ready for Metropolis tournament. Seemed to be a getting a right left issue. Took the grip off and wrap with rubber tape I use in electrical work from 3M Products. My groups are doing better. Have a couple of tournaments this weekend and will give it a try.

flintcreek6412
06-18-2009, 03:04 PM
All winter I shot my GT500 great. I scored very well at the indoor worlds. The great feeling grip was one of the many things that sold me on the bow. It then began to get warm outside and my grip would get sweaty. I'd start a 3d course 5 up after 8 targets. It would start to warm up coupled with some sweat from hiking. All of a sudden I would throw a gut shot 5......When I blow a shot, I usually know it and this left me clueless. All of a sudden I have 3 fives and then you start to question everything. Is my 3rd plane off? did my anchor change in the heat? Am I still in tune/timing? What the heck is it.

I did this for 2 shoots and finally put the bow down in frustration and picked up my Hoyt with stock grip(not sideplates). I went out and shot up on 2 different courses. Even when sweaty, the larger grip kept my hand placement where it needed to be and my only errors were yardage ups and downs into the 8 ring.

I know it's not the bow and that it's the indian, but I guess the Elite grip just isn't for me.

Hunterpete
06-18-2009, 03:19 PM
I actually hold on to the riser, not with a death grip, but light pressure from my index finger and thumb. This has eliminated pushing some arrows to the right. I also almost always shoot with a thin glove on.

archer58inPA
06-18-2009, 03:29 PM
I just tried some grip changes to see how I was introducing the torque into the bow. The lower my grip , the lees torque.
I had been holding the bow high and my thumb is resting on the bottom of the shelf. That's where I believe the porblem lies. However , the bow slides down a little when starting the grip lower. Isn't the bow supposed to slide in your hand to position itself? Or should I get a grip wrap?
Do you guys touch the bottom of the shelf w/ your thumb and index finger ??
I'm like flintcreek, I don't have an issue with a Hoyt one piece grip.

Daniel Boone
06-18-2009, 03:31 PM
All winter I shot my GT500 great. I scored very well at the indoor worlds. The great feeling grip was one of the many things that sold me on the bow. It then began to get warm outside and my grip would get sweaty. I'd start a 3d course 5 up after 8 targets. It would start to warm up coupled with some sweat from hiking. All of a sudden I would throw a gut shot 5......When I blow a shot, I usually know it and this left me clueless. All of a sudden I have 3 fives and then you start to question everything. Is my 3rd plane off? did my anchor change in the heat? Am I still in tune/timing? What the heck is it.

I did this for 2 shoots and finally put the bow down in frustration and picked up my Hoyt with stock grip(not sideplates). I went out and shot up on 2 different courses. Even when sweaty, the larger grip kept my hand placement where it needed to be and my only errors were yardage ups and downs into the 8 ring.

I know it's not the bow and that it's the indian, but I guess the Elite grip just isn't for me.

Customize the grips. Many shoot right off the risor. Often it about what feels good to you. Thats why there so many grip makers. But I do know most like thin handles. One has to find what works for him. Hunting and shooting deer the grip works fine for me. We are all looking for that perfect arrow flight ever shot.
DB

Daniel Boone
06-18-2009, 03:36 PM
I just tried some grip changes to see how I was introducing the torque into the bow. The lower my grip , the lees torque.
I had been holding the bow high and my thumb is resting on the bottom of the shelf. That's where I believe the porblem lies. However , the bow slides down a little when starting the grip lower. Isn't the bow supposed to slide in your hand to position itself? Or should I get a grip wrap?
Do you guys touch the bottom of the shelf w/ your thumb and index finger ??
I'm like flintcreek, I don't have an issue with a Hoyt one piece grip.

Get there hands almost on top of the shelf. Often wonder how the arrow doesnt hit it. Darrin Christenberry here in this video and I just watched Burly Hall video. Both have there hands close to the shelf.

Video of Christenberry. You can actually see the hand above the shelf.
http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z289/okiebwhtr/Archers/?action=view&current=Picture239.flv

archer58inPA
06-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Not sure on differences in the gt vs. z, I do know that the GT torque issue, "might" be a very small spacer adjust.
I don't think it would be a spacer issue. I can tell when I start aiming if "my bubble" is off. ( I can't believe I said that on here)
But, what would I look for, or how do I tell?

Hunterpete
06-18-2009, 03:38 PM
I also had to change to a lower wrist than I have in the past. I can feel the bottom of the shelf with the side of my thumb.

pjrol
06-18-2009, 03:47 PM
I had to do the same thing. It seems to help my torque problems.

JOSHM
06-18-2009, 04:28 PM
I also had to change to a lower wrist than I have in the past. I can feel the bottom of the shelf with the side of my thumb.

same here, I can also feel the bottom of the shelf with my thumb and have never had any tourque issues :mad0215:

archer58inPA
06-18-2009, 04:36 PM
How are you guys starting your grip?
Is it with your hand touching the bottom of the grip or further down?

L-train
06-18-2009, 04:53 PM
I don't think it would be a spacer issue. I can tell when I start aiming if "my bubble" is off. ( I can't believe I said that on here)
But, what would I look for, or how do I tell?

If the string track isnt lined up with how you hold the bow, it will be more sensitive to torque. I tried about every combo in 1/1000th spacer increments till I found one that worked. It aint easy, and it very well could be your hand placement. Just throwin that info out there.
I have better luck shooting a higher wrist grip, my hand is right up under the shelf, index finger is slightly above the outer curve up in shelf.
Not quite as high as Diego in the "new world record with an Elite" thread.

old man archer
06-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Generally the thinner the throat of the grip on a bow the less torque that can be applied. Whether you shoot a high, mid or low wrist grip the only part of your hand that should contact the bow is from the life line out toward your thumb if you look at your hand palm up. The butt of your hand below your life line if held in shooting position should never contact the bow if it does it will create a miss to the right caused by torque or push to the right. If anyones is interested in learning a bullet proof way to hold a bow that creates no torque on the grip send me a PM. I'd be more than glad to get into the details.

archer58inPA
06-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Sent you a PM Kevin.:)

Daniel Boone
06-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Still getting a few left/right issues. Not the grip.

Got new glasses and not sure its how Im looking at the pin through the glasses.

Quest is on to solve it before Illinois.:censored2:

old man archer
06-18-2009, 10:21 PM
If I missed someone that PM'd me please send again and I will get back with you

jjohnson
06-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Get there hands almost on top of the shelf. Often wonder how the arrow doesnt hit it.

I started doing this midway through our winter 5 spot league and my scores went way up. My thumb is real high and my index finger is almost coming over the shelf. A buddy of mine that shot several 300's is the same. His index finger looks like it's gonna get jabbed but he shoots great.