PDA

View Full Version : Releases

NUARCHER
11-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Question does a thumb trigger release such as the Carter Chocolet Addiction help one,s accuracy in say 3-D and other target type shooting. And after shooting a thumb release does it hinder your shooting when going back to a wrist strap style release for hunting.

shootstraight
11-25-2009, 08:18 PM
I've had success with both, I started with a strap release and changed to a thumb a couple of years ago. Michael Braden shot a strap for years as do other top pros. You can be accurate with with either and I don't personally think that one device is more accurate than the other.

TEXAS 10PT
11-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Nick is absolutely correct in his explanations of using both releases. For me I used a Scott Mongoose for quite some time. During hunting I could shoot with it great but consistantly had trouble with it in the off season shooting paper as I constantly found myself "punching" the trigger. I switched to a Chocolate Addiction about four years ago and it helped me get rid of the target panic I was having with the wrist release. I'm sure I could have worked out the target panic with the Scott but I liked the thumb release so well that now that's all I use for all shooting.

TEXAS

jschulz
11-25-2009, 08:36 PM
I use a TruBall Short-N-Sweet for hunting, & a Carter BK Hunter 4 finger for target. I can shoot both well, but my consistancy is better with the Carter.

evworld
11-25-2009, 08:37 PM
I just find it easier not to punch a thumb trigger release. In the past I have gone back to the trigger style and shoot it well for a few days. But, It doesn't take long for me to pick my bad habits of punching the trigger again. Therefore, I just stick with the thumb style. If I do any thing I at times will pull out my triggerless release and shoot if for a few days just to reinforce the back tension activation.

NUARCHER
11-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Are the Caters that you have to cock to noise for a hunting release. I really like the Carter CA 4 finger seem it would make drawing a touch easier.

old man archer
11-25-2009, 09:13 PM
The Chocolate Addiction is fine to hunt with the noise it makes is very minimal and if you hunt wit gloves on they will absorb most if not all the noise. I have a couple although I use them primarily for target and 3-d and hunt with a Tru -Ball short and sweet 1. You can learn to shoot back tension with index or thumb release but generally have less of a tendancy to punch a thumb trigger if you set it up correctly.

shootstraight
11-26-2009, 08:50 AM
To lower the noise a thumb trigger makes you can wrap a wide rubber band around it, I've done this in the past and it works pretty well

evworld
11-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Are the Caters that you have to cock to noise for a hunting release. I really like the Carter CA 4 finger seem it would make drawing a touch easier.

I have shot many deer with my Chocolate and never once was there a noise problem. First, you can clip it to your loop and leave it there, or like me I use a wrist sling on mine. Normally, I clip the release well before the deer is in shooting range.