PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather gear and what works best for you bowhunting.

Daniel Boone
12-09-2009, 12:20 PM
I wear the Artic Shield slip over your boot covers in the stand. Feet stay warm.

I just purchased a Artic Shield jacket yesturday. Got a steal of a deal. $75.00 on sale at discount house. Hoping it works great.

I tend to wear sweats and Carhart cover alls in the real cold. I usually get three layers of clothes on during cold weather.

DB

P.Smash
12-09-2009, 12:37 PM
I need to check out these slip-over covers. Are they expensive?

Daniel Boone
12-09-2009, 12:48 PM
I need to check out these slip-over covers. Are they expensive?

$29.00

There $39.00 at Cabelas. Check AT.

Link at Cabelas
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0020696830362a.shtml

I bought mine in Illinois one year and dont need them often here but they sure work. When they demonstrate them at the show they stick there feet in dry ice. No boots on at all. I just slip them over my Muck rubber boots.

You should stop by Walls in Muskogee, they got some great stuff from Cabelas they are marking down. Marked down and now 25% off all jackets. I bought 3 jackets yesturday. Im talking good stuff. (Cabelas Brand) Goretex. Just have to dig through for sizes. Had lots of XL and 2XL and 3XL stuff.

Hoping they mork there cover alls down soon.
DB

Hook
12-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Generally see them between 35.00 to 45.00 dollars. Do a search on the internet for the best price. Definately worth having. I struggled for years with cold feet until I started using these. Just a note, somewhat bulky when you are wearing them in a stand. Need to really pay attention to your foot positioning.
Safety first!!!

Jim

DustyRx
12-09-2009, 02:59 PM
First of all, my feet get cold no matter what. I have tried the Arctic Shield covers before with just a pair of boots and regular socks. I almost froze to death!! That was the last tried I tried those.
I have had a lot better luck with Boot Blankets. I don't buy in to the Arctic Shield stuff.
Some people are just more cold natured than others (or have less insulation).
If it is say below 30 I wear 2 layers of thermals and then insulated overalls and jacket. I wear a thick pair of wool socks with 800gr Thinsulate Lacrosse rubber boots. If it is in the single digits I stay home.

snakehater
12-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Arctic Shield for me. I will sweat in the pull over with a jacket. Bought the wife some and we stay toasty!

Daniel Boone
12-09-2009, 04:35 PM
First of all, my feet get cold no matter what. I have tried the Arctic Shield covers before with just a pair of boots and regular socks. I almost froze to death!! That was the last tried I tried those.
I have had a lot better luck with Boot Blankets. I don't buy in to the Arctic Shield stuff.
Some people are just more cold natured than others (or have less insulation).
If it is say below 30 I wear 2 layers of thermals and then insulated overalls and jacket. I wear a thick pair of wool socks with 800gr Thinsulate Lacrosse rubber boots. If it is in the single digits I stay home.

I take blood thinner and my feet get cold. Artic shield has worked great for me and my buddies. We went to Illinois one year and its was around 20 degrees with a wind chill of 10 and we all purchased these artic shield covers and they work. They demonstrate them by putting there feet in dry ice and thats below zero.
DB

yotekiller
12-09-2009, 04:42 PM
King of the mountain wool! quiet and warm!

cordwood
12-09-2009, 05:04 PM
For still hunting, I love my HBS(Heater Body Suit). It totally takes the coldness out of the equation for me. They're a little expensive but not really when you think about it. They cost about $325 but it eliminates a large amount of money you would normally spend on cold weather gear.

And an important factor is getting dressed and the trip to your stand. If you bulk up on clothing, you're sweating by the time you're settled for a morning hunt. If you're using a HBS, you pack light and get comfortable after getting settled for the hunt. I dont like or think sweating is a good mix when hunting...the whole :censored2: scent elim thing.

Get an XXXL HBS Dan!:thumb:

CamG
12-09-2009, 06:07 PM
This is the easiest problem in the world to fix. Heater Body Suit. I've hunted on stand in -2 and still was plenty warm wearing uninsulated boots, and light fleece.

It is also a must for waterfowlers when using a layout blind!

DustyRx
12-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Arctic Shield for me. I will sweat in the pull over with a jacket. Bought the wife some and we stay toasty!

Well now if my wife was in there with me I might would stay warm to. lol

DustyRx
12-09-2009, 06:14 PM
I take blood thinner and my feet get cold. Artic shield has worked great for me and my buddies. We went to Illinois one year and its was around 20 degrees with a wind chill of 10 and we all purchased these artic shield covers and they work. They demonstrate them by putting there feet in dry ice and thats below zero.
DB

DB, I am inside a pharmacy working with 5 heaters going and my feet are cold right now.

DustyRx
12-09-2009, 06:29 PM
been considering one of those

BPJ
12-09-2009, 08:10 PM
I found the Solution to Cold Weather....it took me years though.

The Solution is........................Carol Davis Sportswear.

https://www.cdsportswear.com/

I wear 4 layers......1. Medalist Base layer both Top & leggings.
2. Carrol Davis
3. Under Armor Fleece Hoodie
4. Ultimate Camo.

For boots I wear Field & Stream 400's for weather above 35 degress, with a Dry Fit sock so my feet don't sweat. Under Armor Gloves, and Under Armor Beanie, and I must say I do not get cold. :)

Capt Ray
12-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Layers of QUALITY clothing.

1st. Silk
2nd. Merino Wool
3rd. Polar Fleece or Under Armour
4th. Final outer layer GGW 27oz Wool.

Any temperature from the 30's to around zero.

Todd Imiola
12-10-2009, 06:46 AM
Those are all pretty good suggestions. I like to also wear Under Armour Cold Gear as my base layer. It works great and I think it's worth every penny!

P.Smash
12-10-2009, 11:32 AM
A buddy told me the Artic Shield boot covers were very noisy, the material it is made out of is "crinkly" to use his term. Is this true?

Also, anybody got a link to this Heater Body suit? Sounds interesting.

Daniel Boone
12-10-2009, 12:36 PM
A buddy told me the Artic Shield boot covers were very noisy, the material it is made out of is "crinkly" to use his term. Is this true?

I have not noticed any noticed any noise while in the stand. Maybe Ill put the video down around them and dance a jig in the stand this weekend.

cordwood
12-10-2009, 01:39 PM

Here's the order form page with pricing...I think you can nav back to the main page to see vid clips of it in action. They're very cozy...but my jealous friends that like to torture themselves freezing refer to my HBS as a 'B:censored2: Bag'.:(

http://www.heaterbodysuit.com/orderform.htm

P.Smash
12-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Cool, thanks!

TMax27
12-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Here's my GO 2 system of layering when the temperature plummets.

Bottom
1. Starter PolyPro Long Underwear(similar to UA Warm Gear)
2. Expedition weight PolyPro (similar to fleece sweats)
3. StormKlothII Pants (Fleece: windproof/water proof)
4. Thin liner socks w/ Merino Wool Socks

1. Starter PolyPro Long Underwear(similar to UA Warm Gear)
2. Expedition weight PolyPro (similar to fleece sweats)
3. Fleece Turtleneck (self explainatory)
4. StormKlothII Vest (Fleece: windproof/water proof)
5. StormKlothII hooded Jacket (Fleece: windproof/water proof)
6. Fleece Neck Gaitor
7. StormKlothII Beanie
8. Thin gloves w/ a Fleece Hand warmer (like QB's wear)

This setup is not bulky but warm enough that I am comfortable to about 15 degrees w/ no wind, or I'd guess 20 w/ a bit of wind.

It doesn't normally get colder than that here for more than 2 or 3 days in a row, so I haven't found the need to buy more/better gear. However, if the oppurtunity arose, I wouldn't mind having a set of Arctic Shield gear or a HBS or Warmbag so I could head north or hunt the days when it gets down to the single digits.

ratfart
12-11-2009, 07:17 AM
Heater body suit or check out the Warmbag. Similar in design.
There's also a similar product being offered by Jeff Orion right here on the Trading post that is like the Warmbag only your arms are out. Looks good and much cheaper.
Lot's of good options out there.

sefan
12-11-2009, 08:51 AM
1000 g rubber boots w/ the toasty toes & if that doesn't work I have a pair of boots I got at army-navy store. I don't know how they got the name "mickey mouse boots" . Their real heavy , so lucky I haven't needed them much. My hands & release go in a muff with hand warmers.

HORSEMOVER
12-11-2009, 12:58 PM
I prefer to get naked and roll around in the snow before putting on my gear. Once your all numb and tingly you can't feel a thing:thumb::toothless:

gutpyls
12-13-2009, 09:44 AM
I prefer to get naked and roll around in the snow before putting on my gear. Once your all numb and tingly you can't feel a thing:thumb::toothless:

Now thats funny

P.Smash
12-15-2009, 10:15 PM

Genius!!!! All this time I've been doing it all wrong...:)

BAD007
12-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Wool,wool and wool are the only things that keep me warm in extreme cold weather stand hunting. Justin Charles heavyweight base layer and then a heavy merino wool sweater with the sleeves cut off to short sleeve(less arm bulk). Then i simply use Gray Wolf's heavy pullover and bibs then nothing gets cold but my feet. But the answer for that is one heavy pair of wool socks with Muck boots and the Raven Wear overboots. No problem staying all day. If money is no issue the Raven Wear body bag would be my first purchase. They are only 655.00 but will keep you completely warm for days without going inside in zero weather.lol Would love to have one to try for a while but not for 655.00.