PDA

View Full Version : Tip of the day thread

shootstraight
12-27-2009, 08:16 AM
How about a thread that you post a tip that has saved you time or just made good sense. Sometimes we forget that everyone doesn't know the basics or things we take for granted. You guys surely are doing things that I don't know about so, what say you..

Let's try and keep each tip to one post rather than listing everything you can think of that moment. Maybe we could put the tip in red as well so we can see it easier.

I'll start..

Used to drive me nuts when my field points kept coming loose, try putting a bit of string wax on the threads, it's a quick fix to a common problem..

woodbooger
12-27-2009, 08:52 AM
when tying peep sight wrap serving same direction as bow string is twisted

J3100
12-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Emory boards are great for removing glue from arrows

standsitter
12-27-2009, 10:00 AM
When adjusting sights remember to "move pin to the arrow"

Maybee-R
12-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Tie d loop knots in opposite directions to eliminate torque on the string.
Tie in your top knot away from your face so it doesn't cut you if it touches. also will save facial hair.

YETI ARCHERY
12-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Tie d loop knots in opposite directions to eliminate torque on the string.
Tie in your top knot away from your face so it doesn't cut you if it touches. also will save facial hair.

+1 especially with looooong loops:)

John-in-VA
12-27-2009, 10:30 AM
After I get my bows all set up I mark everything with a pencil ,Like where my sight is ,rest ,most important my cam or cams I scribe a line on the cam both the front and back of the limb .That way you can get a quick check if something is moveing .Or when your not shooting good you can just look at everything and know its not the bow or it is the bow.Work's for me

Maybee-R
12-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Wrinkled fletching can be straighten with the ole Lady's hair dryer too.

superdiablo
12-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Nice suggestion! Hereīs one of mine:

Spray your high density foam targets with vinyl cleaner spray (dashboard cleaning ones made for cars, cheapo ones work the same!) and youīll pull arrows much easier. Product stinks to first half of shaft ready for the next shot, and you wonīt stink your fingers which is safer to operate BT releases!

Belicoso
12-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Here is mine..............shoot bows more than hanging on Archery forums, will def. makes you a better shot......:woohoo::woohoo:
Sorry couldnīt resist LOL.
Honestly double check new cable slides for any burrs and remove them with fine sandpaper to avoid cable damage.

BAD007
12-27-2009, 10:47 AM
This one is for the newer archers that have problems with peep and loop rotation. Nock your arrow from the front of the string not from the side. When you rotate the nocked arrow it will also rotate your loop and peep. I have seen so many hunters nock their arrow on the side of the string and then roatate it to the rest. Nock it just as it will be when on the rest.

Maybee-R
12-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Here is mine..............shoot bows more than hanging on Archery forums, will def. makes you a better shot......:woohoo::woohoo:
Sorry couldnīt resist LOL.
Honestly double check new cable slides for any burrs and remove them with fine sandpaper to avoid cable damage.
Run out of strength shooting so much. needed a break. Letting the blisters heal some.
You want a shooting better tip remember to breath... stop holding your breath. LOL!

rocket80
12-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Make sure when you put your cables back on they go from the outside in so you can draw your bow when you get it out of the press.

CATrapper
12-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Learn to activate your release using back tension and say goodbye to target panic forever.

Belicoso
12-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Learn to activate your release using back tension and say goodbye to target panic forever.
Regardless what else comes up we have a winner!!!!!:bump:

HoPaLONg
12-27-2009, 01:04 PM
when shooting at a 380 bull look out for cattle fences. They can ruin your shot. (don't ask how I know)

a tip for new people on this forum... Don't try to catch up on any of texas10's threads while driving, working, drinking hot liquids or having to go to the bathroom....

Capt Ray
12-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Wrinkled fletching can be straighten with the ole Lady's hair dryer too.

Use "ole lady" vice OLD LADY when referring to your wife and she has access to this site.

P.Smash
12-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Flex carbon arrow shafts before shooting, might save you a trip to the E.R.

DustyRx
12-27-2009, 06:26 PM
If you swap out cams be sure and put draw stops in before you draw!!:jaw:

P.Smash
12-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Don't kick a Opossum off the porch in the middle of the night while in your underwear. Especially if it's too fat. You can really sprain your ankle. :thumb:

DustyRx
12-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Don't kick a Opossum off the porch in the middle of the night while in your underwear. Especially if it's too fat. You can really sprain your ankle. :thumb:

I tried that with an armadillo. You are right it can hurt your ankle/foot. lol

Don't eat yellow snow!!

P.Smash
12-27-2009, 06:38 PM
While at the zoo, don't aggitate the spider monkeys. They will throw poo at you. They have amazing range and accuracy too.

cordwood
12-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Aim Big, Miss Big...or something like that.:noidea:

Bruce Leslie
12-28-2009, 01:45 AM
Sight in on vertical & horizontal strips of tape, not spots.

old man archer
12-28-2009, 08:34 AM
When fletching your own arrows using a Bitz style jig. If you are using the smaller fletchs and are trying to use helical clamp put a fletch (with out gue of course) at the far end of the clamp so that you get even pressure on the fletch you are glueing. It stops the nose up or tail up problem many experience while fletching.

Daniel Boone
12-28-2009, 08:54 AM
I always mark my arrows with numbers. Sometimes it can be just the littlest things to make an arrow hit off.

Marked if an arrow isnt catching the xring I spot quickly.
DB

Indoors I usually shot my arrows in random. one through five.

Hunting arrows I mark as well. Got to hit the mark.

DB

Metrodix
12-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Whatever you have to serve or serving in, peep, kisser or whatever...
Use string wax with the thread, it prevents from slipping.

shootstraight
12-28-2009, 09:13 AM
When fletching your own arrows using a Bitz style jig. If you are using the smaller fletchs and are trying to use helical clamp put a fletch (with out gue of course) at the far end of the clamp so that you get even pressure on the fletch you are glueing. It stops the nose up or tail up problem many experience while fletching.

Good idea for sure!

In my shot routine, one of my mental pictures is to imagine a string tied to my release hand elbow. The string is being pulled straight back, not down or up but straight back. I can have problems with pulling down causing high shots.

Daniel Boone
12-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Whatever you have to serve or serving in, peep, kisser or whatever...
Use string wax with the thread, it prevents from slipping.

Many dont realize how much this helps.
DB

John-in-VA
12-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Make sure the kids your shooting with shoes are tied.:chair:

L-train
12-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Stare at the spot you wish to hit, not the pin.

shootstraight
12-28-2009, 10:18 AM

Yes this helps or you could wear a football helmet.

dicksenn
12-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Use a plastic bag or ziploc bag instead of glue to insert your pin nock bushings into your arrow. Makes it much easier to replace them when someone trashes your pin nock.

shootstraight
12-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Use a plastic bag or ziploc bag instead of glue to insert your pin nock bushings into your arrow. Makes it much easier to replace them when someone trashes your pin nock.

Nice......

Hornytoad
12-28-2009, 01:12 PM
During hunting season keep a small dab of Vasoline in one of the cutouts on the upper part of bow riser. Comes in handy when on a dead calm day you can hear your arrow on the draw. Simply take a smidgen and wipe on rest and arrow holder on dropaways. Works good on chapped lips in cold weather also. :chair:

TEXAS 10PT
12-28-2009, 01:40 PM
When tuning your 06 models, don't waste time twisting. The EZ and S mods run a 1/2" long and the 500 mods run an inch long. Get it timed and figure out which mod you need.

TEXAS

P.Smash
12-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Don't forget your wife's birthday or your anniversary.

ntypicl11
12-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Tell your wife , that also hunts, how big of a buck you couldn't shoot at, cuz ya didn't know the FLIPPIN YARDAGE!!! She might buy you a rangefinder for X-MAS!!!:woohoo::applause::freakjam::freakjam::freak jam:

ntypicl11
12-28-2009, 05:02 PM
I think this worked for somebody???

ba3darcher
12-28-2009, 05:34 PM
if you cable slide is making noise when drawing your bow, rub your nose with your finger and then rub your finger on the cable guard.

ntypicl11
12-28-2009, 05:47 PM
if you cable slide is making noise when drawing your bow, rub your nose with your finger and then rub your finger on the cable guard.
Inside or outside? J/K, I know, the outside, for the (grease).

P.Smash
12-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Drinking beer through a straw will not get you drunk any faster, just makes you look like a sissy.:toothless:

Bo Bob
12-28-2009, 06:37 PM

Yes this helps or you could wear a football helmet.

Have no idea what you guys are talking about. :weird:

Not a spot shooter but did pick up a good tip once. Number you arrows 1-5 and shoot each arrow at it's own spot. #1 has it's particular bull, as does arrows 2-5. You quickly can see a pattern develop if arrow 3 is grouping to the left of the X, or high in the X, or... sometimes a turn of the nock can bring it right to where you want it.

tomcat8794
12-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Make sure to bring toilet paper when going to your stand. Cause you never know when your gona have to go.

Wood
12-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Always store your release on your bow limb (if it has a strap) and always keep a backup release in your pack.

Maybee-R
12-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Always store your release on your bow limb (if it has a strap) and always keep a backup release in your pack.
I seen a guy draw his bow with the release like that. it slid down in the cam and you can guess what happened when he let down.. I tell them to strap it to the cable rod. you have to see it then. also suggest to not draw with your fingers but that never works.

Bruce Leslie
12-29-2009, 01:36 AM
Determine the short range sight distances for your bow. For instance on my hunting rig the 20 yard pin is on @ 10 yards, the 30 @ 8, the 40 @ 6.3 and the 50 @ 4.5 yards. Comes in handy if you have to replace a sight, shoot rabbits or just want to practice shooting 50 yards in your garage at midnight.

wassaw
12-29-2009, 08:38 AM
Do NOT draw your bow OR a buddies bow back without and arrow nocked.
:D

When letting down a pressed bow, lift the string to add tension and check the seating of the harness, hold tension as you let down to keep the harness in the tracks.

Metrodix
12-29-2009, 09:02 AM
If you have an issue with screws that comes loose,
fill the thread of the screw with string wax!
Works better than LocTite.(bolt adhesive)

shootstraight
12-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Measure the distance from the bottom of the top serving down to your peep and then from the peep down to the d loop, then write them on a piece of tape and stick it on the bow. I also mark the string with a sharpie where the peep is so if it ever moves you can easily put it where it's supposed to be.

knife2sharp
12-29-2009, 09:34 AM
"If you have an issue with screws that comes loose,
Works better than LocTite.(bolt adhesive)"

I use a small amount of choke tube lube on all my bolts, and even rub a little on the head of the bolt. This keeps them from rusting.

If your limb driver string stretches, you can shorten it in small increments by burning the end that fits in the limb deelio thingy.

dicksenn
12-29-2009, 09:44 AM
"If you have an issue with screws that comes loose,
Works better than LocTite.(bolt adhesive)"

I use a small amount of choke tube lube on all my bolts, and even rub a little on the head of the bolt. This keeps them from rusting.

If your limb driver string stretches, you can shorten it in small increments by burning the end that fits in the limb deelio thingy.

Good tip, the wax helps your field tips from coming loose as well.

HoPaLONg
12-29-2009, 10:37 AM
If you have an issue with screws that comes loose,
Works better than LocTite.(bolt adhesive)

when you do this make sure you don't crank the screw down really tight it will break.

P.Smash
12-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Don't spit tobacco in a beer bottle and hand it to your buddy when you get out of the truck to pee. Even if you tell him not to drink it, he may try to chug it thinking it's your beer. True srory, and yes I'm a redneck.

wassaw
12-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Don't spit tobacco in a beer bottle and hand it to your buddy when you get out of the truck to pee. Even if you tell him not to drink it, he may try to chug it thinking it's your beer. True srory, and yes I'm a redneck.

:rofl: seen that one in action. followed by a quick exit (pun intended)

P.Smash
12-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Don't let a cuss word slip while talking to your hunting buddy on the phone in Toys-R-Us when Christmas shopping. Evidently it's frowned upon by pretty much all the other parents.

P.Smash
12-29-2009, 12:11 PM
When fishing a night-time bass tournament, watch out for bats. If a bat hits you in da face at 70 mph, it can knock you nearly unconscious.

CATrapper
12-29-2009, 01:01 PM
When Duck hunting in flooded marsh, never reach down to pick up a 4ft. Gator no matter how cold the water is.

Maybee-R
12-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Dont drink and drive! But even more important dont let your buddy drive because you have been drinking. He is probably as drunk.

P.Smash
12-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Dont drink and drive! But even more important dont let your buddy drive because you have been drinking. He is probably as drunk.

That was nearly 20 yrs ago, and neither of us were driving. Several of us were piled in a big Ford Bronco mudding. It was pretty darn funny, he sure did puke alot!

knife2sharp
12-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Tip of the week: Mudding isn't driving, so drink up.

P.Smash
12-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Your wife is always right :blahblahblah: So it's better to ask for forgiveness about something you did than asking permission to do something. Assuming you know what you are doing.

P.Smash
12-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Don't tell anyone where you killed a big buck. Before you know it, you'll have 63 :censored2:holes hunting your favorite ridge.

P.Smash
12-29-2009, 02:16 PM
When performing a "Dukes of Hazzard" style jump, don't pick your nose. You could stab your brain on the landing.

shootstraight
12-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Geez we've been hijacked...supposed to be post of the day not quip of the minute..:mad0215:

P.Smash
12-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Geez we've been hijacked...supposed to be post of the day not quip of the minute..:mad0215:

Okay, I'll stop. Just interjecting a little humor to the day.

One day some of these tips could save your life though!:D

old man archer
12-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Always keep a spool of dental floss in your hunting gear or target quiver you can use it to re-tie in peeps and replace nocks or even tie down serving that has come loose. It is just a temporary fix but can save a hunt or a competition.

cbarber
12-29-2009, 06:06 PM
get a broadhead wrench, and use it.
never let you buddies shoot in your basement

hoefj
12-29-2009, 07:41 PM
why? they wont shoot a hole in your ceiling...

mchildress
12-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Yell four when shooting down the hallway so someone doesn't step out of a bedroom and screw up your shot.

Bruce Leslie
12-29-2009, 09:49 PM
why? they wont shoot a hole in your ceiling...

Maybe not, but they can sure put a hole in your furnace plenum...

Bruce Leslie
12-29-2009, 10:03 PM
WD-40 is a good shaft lube for 3D targets.

Maybee-R
12-29-2009, 10:11 PM
WD-40 is a good shaft lube for 3D targets.
Reminds me, Dont use gun oil in your arrow lube tube. it acts more like instant glue then lubricant in a foam target.

wassaw
12-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Yell four when shooting down the hallway so someone doesn't step out of a bedroom and screw up your shot.
:rofl: my flabbs hurt on that one

( when my wife knows i'm back in the "room" she always asks " are you shooting?" when she comes back to check things out, kinda hit home lol)

sefan
12-29-2009, 11:04 PM
After you pull your bow up, tie your rattling antlers on & drop them to the ground. If a buck gets hung up , a little shake on the rope might just be enough. & NEVER practice a straight down shot out a bedroom window. Its expensive & time consuming.

shootstraight
12-30-2009, 08:36 AM
Change your nocks two or three times a year and alway change one when it is marked in any way.

ntypicl11
12-30-2009, 10:43 AM
get a broadhead wrench, and use it.
never let you buddies shoot in your basement
Why not? Arrows don't bleed!!! They are mighty hard to track because of that though. Stinkin thumb releases! Tip of the day- don't draw a buddies thumb release back with your thumb on the trigger! It makes ya kinda queasy.

TailChaser
12-30-2009, 11:53 AM
When tying on a d-loop, burn the ends with a soldering iron with the flat blade attachment. Can get some huge balls and shape them however you want. Leave about 1/2" to burn down so you have plenty of gooey by the time you get to the stopping point. Whatever melted rope is on the blade you can wipe off onto the ball to make it bigger. You use the V between the blade and the head of the iron, so you have a V to burn with. Going straight down with a flat blade don't work so good.

sliverpicker
12-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Gotta be the best thread I've ever seen on a site...
I use a heat bag on my shoulders before shooting, to loosen things up a bit. It sucks getting old.

tomcat8794
12-30-2009, 04:42 PM
When working on Electric Socket make sure to turn power OFF.

chasemukluk
12-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks for all the tips!

Here's mine.
If you hunt a lot of different areas or spots buy one of those big rubber made containers from Wal-Mart or Target. Throw all of your hunting stuff in them and you never have to pack all your things up before each hunt. Just grab the tub and go! I also leave mine outside with a brick on top of it with some pine/oak/maple branches/leaves and dirt. Works great!

kydirtbag
12-30-2009, 11:11 PM

great idea...i use teflon tape!

kydirtbag
12-30-2009, 11:24 PM
when you're bow hunting in early season make sure your cover limbs do not get between your cams and string...could cause you to miss a nice buck

shootstraight
12-31-2009, 07:11 AM
When setting up a stand I always think two things first, which direction are the deer most likely to come from. I want to set up so that being rt. handed they would come from my left side of the tree. This way I have minimal movement and can remain seated if possible. Secondly pay attention to which direction the sun will set or rise, nothing worse than a deer standing right behind brilliant sunshine.

tomcat8794
12-31-2009, 08:05 AM
Allways remember the faster the bow the quicker the miss. Tom's tip of the day.

P.Smash
12-31-2009, 11:39 AM
Don't try to sneeze with your eyes open, They'll pop out of your head.:confusion:

Dan Worthington
12-31-2009, 02:11 PM
A week before you go elk hunting make sure you nock an arrow before you shoot your hunting bow!!!

TailChaser
12-31-2009, 02:17 PM
The worst way to figure out if a fence is electric is to pee on it. Very bad.

Use a separate quiver mount in a treestand with a bowholder on the other side. This allows you to put your bow by your bow hand and not have to try to switch sides and move around a lot when a deer is coming. Practice without a quiver on just like you will be hunting.

ALWAYS shoot your arrows before you go hunting with them. That first shot seats the nock in good and they won't shoot as good the first shot.

shootstraight
01-01-2010, 09:21 AM
On each of my Elites one of the first things I do is to put it in the press and remove the cable rod, I put a small amount of "Goop" on the end and reinstall it. I used to have problems after a while of the cable rod working its way out, this fixes that problem.

Lunk
01-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Good stuff folks! Keep it coming.:thumb:

mchildress
01-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Always take a peek in the outhouse hole before sitting down. Over the years I have only found two things that didn't belong a opossum and a 4' rattler. I was a youngster when I found the opossum and I had already made him pretty mad. I heard the growling coming out up out of the hole from between my legs. I made a run for the truck fetching the shotgun when my dad caught me by the back of the collar as I entered the outhouse. Stopping me from making a mess out of the opossum and myself.

Maybee-R
01-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Always take a peek in the outhouse hole before sitting down. Over the years I have only found two things that didn't belong a opossum and a 4' rattler. I was a youngster when I found the opossum and I had already made him pretty mad. I heard the growling coming out up out of the hole from between my legs. I made a run for the truck fetching the shotgun when my dad caught me by the back of the collar as I entered the outhouse. Stopping me from making a mess out of the opossum and myself.
A crappy tip there bro!:)

mchildress
01-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Rick it good of been real messy. We were going to be at the camp for a few days and I believe he was looking out for himself too. With no running water he would of had to throw me in the cow pond to clean up.What was bad is he knew the thing was in there and thought it would be funny to let me find it. He just got real busy when he saw me headed back with a shotgun.LOL

Metrodix
01-02-2010, 03:42 AM
Whenever you open your release aid (Carter or others)
to repair a broken part
http://www.compoundbow-online.com/media/repar/messer.jpg
http://www.compoundbow-online.com/media/repar/innen.jpg
http://www.compoundbow-online.com/media/repar/bruch.jpg

Do it INSIDE a plastic bag!!

In case of "jumping springs", you get nearly no chance
to find them again!

dwm323
01-02-2010, 09:09 PM
I have always put a drop of glue at both ends of each fletching on my arrows to help keep them from being peeled off on target pass throughs or when you have to push an arrow back out of a target.

wassaw
01-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Whenever you open your release aid (Carter or others)
to repair a broken part
http://www.compoundbow-online.com/media/repar/messer.jpg
http://www.compoundbow-online.com/media/repar/innen.jpg
http://www.compoundbow-online.com/media/repar/bruch.jpg

Do it INSIDE a plastic bag!!

In case of "jumping springs", you get nearly no chance
to find them again!
WOW!!

that one post will save me from myself! thanks

mchildress
01-02-2010, 11:42 PM
That is a great idea. I was hunting an E-Clip that bounce off the wall just the other day. How many gallon bag do I need to get a GTO in.

wassaw
01-03-2010, 12:00 AM
That is a great idea. I was hunting an E-Clip that bounce off the wall just the other day. How many gallon bag do I need to get a GTO in.
:rofl::rofl:

it's cheaper to buy a new E clip!! been there!

shootstraight
01-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Some more great tips for sure, here one for 3D

I carry a roll of electrical tape in my side quiver for when the sun is too bright that it makes the pins burst. I shoot pins with a wrap and just stick the tape on the outer edge of the wrap to block the light from getting to the fibers.

eros
01-03-2010, 08:08 AM
If your at a ASA shoot and you and friend go out to eat and you enter the place you choose, you then see things like canned peas and old thick white dishes and coffee cups. Then you see everyone is 50 plus and 50 lbs over weight just get up and walk out. Trust me your friend will thank you later for saving the day.

DustyRx
01-03-2010, 01:35 PM

Maybe a 30gal trash bag would work. LOL

That is why I have extra clips. I spent a lot of time on my knees looking for one in my shop ONCE.

TEXAS 10PT
01-03-2010, 01:40 PM

A crappy tip there bro!:)

Oh you two just made me bust my big blob gut!!!!! LMAO!!!!

TEXAS

shootstraight
01-03-2010, 02:16 PM
If your at a ASA shoot and you and friend go out to eat and you enter the place you choose, you then see things like canned peas and old thick white dishes and coffee cups. Then you see everyone is 50 plus and 50 lbs over weight just get up and walk out. Trust me your friend will thank you later for saving the day.

Yep good advice, gotta have a good meal before any ASA event. Sorry I didn't make it this weekend, too stinking cold.

shootstraight
01-04-2010, 08:52 AM
When you are practicing and you get tired or stop following your routine, quit shooting. You are only practicing bad habits from that moment on.

John-in-VA
01-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Practice judgeing as much or more than shooting for you 3d ers.

tomcat8794
01-04-2010, 07:25 PM
When shooting steep down angle shots pick a tree along side your target and look at the tree straight on judge your yardage to the tree and shoot your bow for that distance. What seems to be a forty yard shot could be more like a twenty.

Elkski
01-04-2010, 11:18 PM
No rutting around the house without protection from T-day till after V-day. . You dont want kids b-days during the fall hunt.
Very good advice here.
Buy a rifle Nikon 550 range finder with angle feature if you gonna hunt out West.

Metrodix
01-05-2010, 08:39 AM

The whole bow? :jaw:
TurN over the plastic bag over the cam and
half of the limb. Thats all.

archer58inPA
01-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Practice at the longest distances you can before hunting season begins. Shooting at 60 to 70 yards during the off season will make that 25 yard shot at your buck a slam dunk.
A good rule of thumb is to double your normal hunting distance.

Practice from an elevated stand at least 2 or 3 times before the season WITH your hunting set up.

Keep a spare sight that's been pre set for yardage in your vehicle. If you break a pin or fiber on your primary bow sight, you can slap the spare sight on and not loose any hunting time sighting in. It doesn't have to be the same sight or even a top quility one. Just a cheapy spare w/ good fiber optics.

Metrodix
01-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Sometimes, when I read some posts in AT or other
forums, I ask myself, what this guys are having in their brains.....

Given that the arrow rest is OK......
To set a pin sight, there is ONE RULE only:

Follow the arrow!!

If your arrow is hitting high, pin upwards - follow the arrow!
If your arrow is hitting low, pin downwards - follow the arrow!
If your arrow is hitting left, pin to the left - follow the arrow!
If your arrow is hitting right and low - pin right and low!

Follow the arrow!!

Metrodix
01-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Sometimes we have an isssue with turning peep sights!
Here is, how to fix it in seconds!!
I DO NOT recommend the use of a bow press!!
If you will use a press, the string has to settle again!
With a press, you have to do it sometimes 3 or 4 times
till you get the desired result!!

Bow at full draw, the peep sight is leaning to the left:
http://www.compoundbow-online.com/media/tipps/peep0.jpg

Bring the knots away from the peep.
http://www.compoundbow-online.com/media/tipps/Peep1.jpg

On the fronside:
Take ONE strand of the string and bring it
from the left to the right side of the peep.
AGAINST the pointing of the blue arrow
in this picture!!
http://www.compoundbow-online.com/media/tipps/Peep2.jpg

For the counterbalance, bring one strand on the BACKSIDE
of the peep, from right to the left side!
Again, AGAINST the pointing of the blue arrow.
(Keep attention, you see the backside, but the
instruction refers to the front sight!)
http://www.compoundbow-online.com/media/tipps/Peep3.jpg

Possibly you have to repeat this two steps.
At last, bring the knots back to your peep.
The job is done.
http://www.compoundbow-online.com/media/tipps/Peep4.jpg

If you dont have a adequate tool to separate the
strands in the string, ask a fellow for help.
He should draw the bow, and with the LET-OFF
it is very easy to do this!!

shootstraight
01-05-2010, 02:08 PM

On the fronside:
in this picture!!

The job is done.

That's a great tip!

shootstraight
01-05-2010, 02:12 PM
I carry about a half dozen bungee cords of different lengths in my climbing stand saddle bag. If I climb a tree and there's a branch in the way I don't want to prune but want to leave for cover. I use the bungees to pull it out of the shooting lane.

Bo Bob
01-05-2010, 03:03 PM

On the fronside:
in this picture!!

The job is done.

Would guess it woud be best if done on a draw board?

Metrodix
01-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Would guess it woud be best if done on a draw board?

Yes, that is true, but takes more time and if you are on the shooting range...
Seldom I take my draw board with me. :)

michaelpierce40
01-05-2010, 04:02 PM
I think a great tip of the day is not to draw a gt500 without the stops in:mad0215:

shootstraight
01-05-2010, 04:47 PM
I think a great tip of the day is not to draw a gt500 without the stops in:mad0215:

The best tip I had for that was after you take the draw stops out tape one of them to the grip, this will make sure you remember.

KARBON
01-05-2010, 05:20 PM
The best tip I had for that was after you take the draw stops out tape one of them to the grip, this will make sure you remember.

Oh...good tip.

michaelpierce40
01-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Great Idea!!!

ntypicl11
01-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Don't lick the jelly off your bow from your PB&J sandwich when it is cold out! Never had to, just wanted to warn you. Tried the metal pole thing once, ONCE!!!

shootstraight
07-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Great tips here, any more??

stikbow26
07-29-2010, 04:27 PM
When you get your new bow from Elite all set up put alittle bow string wax on the screws and it will keep them from rusting in the rain..

shootstraight
07-29-2010, 04:29 PM
When you get your new bow from Elite all set up put alittle bow string wax on the screws and it will keep them from rusting in the rain..

I thought the new ones were stainless?? Good tip for the older ones for sure.

Button Buck
07-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Put a wide rubber band around your fiber optic type sight (HHA or similar) and slide it where you want to adjust pin brightness, kinda like a rheostat shade if you don't have that option.

CATrapper
07-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Never tell a Scottish Highlander his "skirt looks nice". I did this when I was in East Berlin and things got really ugly.

I know it's not archery related but this one could save a life.

shootstraight
09-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Thought I'd resurrect this, some really good tips here..

eros
09-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Its ok to date hot looking women with no property to hunt

It's ok to date ugly gals with property to hunt

It's not ok to get the property thing mixed up on the top two.

duda
09-27-2011, 12:34 AM
It was probably posted but when broadhead tuning shoot the broadhead first then the field point. I seem to always forget and end up having to refletch.

Maybee-R
09-27-2011, 08:58 AM
It was probably posted but when broadhead tuning shoot the broadhead first then the field point. I seem to always forget and end up having to refletch.Use two different dots to aim at. then it doesnt matter.

P.Smash
09-27-2011, 12:06 PM
I forgot about this thread! LOL.....some of my best material got deleted from here :D

shootstraight
09-27-2011, 12:12 PM
I forgot about this thread! LOL.....some of my best material got deleted from here :D

Yeah your sex life has nothing to do with archery :mad0215:

P.Smash
09-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Yeah your sex life has nothing to do with archery :mad0215:

How would know? I get kinda freaky sometimes :freak:

shootstraight
09-27-2011, 02:36 PM
how would know? I get kinda freaky sometimes :freak:

tmi..........

eagle-357
09-27-2011, 03:26 PM
tmi..........

And to think, I almost poted a:

:withoutpics:

devin1
09-27-2011, 04:58 PM
When lying to wife about how much money you have spent on your bow and archery gear. Dont leave receipts in your pockets. She will find it when she does the laundry.