PDA

View Full Version : 90 pound limbs for Hunter

Mooneypilot
03-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Are there 90 lb limbs available for the hunter?

mchildress
03-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Shows only going to 80 Lbs.http://www.elitearchery.com/products/2011-bows/hunter/

Mooneypilot
03-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Thanks, I saw that but was hoping.....

eltaco
03-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Why pull the excess weight when you can get more speed out of a different bow?

I don't think speed is nearly as critical as some do, but if I were that hard-up for it, I'd drop 10# and choose a speed bow.

3Fletch
03-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Why pull the excess weight when you can get more speed out of a different bow?

I don't think speed is nearly as critical as some do, but if I were that hard-up for it, I'd drop 10# and choose a speed bow.

Why not? To some people a 90LB draw weight is not that hard to pull. If you can pull the weight go for it. I have shot heavy bows forever and really wish they still made the 90 LB limbs for the Elites. (actually they do the 80LB limbs on a hunter would be a 90LB on a pure)....I have a set of 80LB's limbs for my Pure on their way from the factory.

eltaco
03-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Why not? To some people a 90LB draw weight is not that hard to pull. If you can pull the weight go for it. I have shot heavy bows forever and really wish they still made the 90 LB limbs for the Elites. (actually they do the 80LB limbs on a hunter would be a 90LB on a pure)....I have a set of 80LB's limbs for my Pure on their way from the factory.

My point in saying that was this:
The Hunter IBOs at 323... my GT500 IBOs at 343... 20fps difference, which is essentially the same as 10# of draw weight.

If you're that hard up for extra speed that you want a 90# draw, you could get the same speed, theoretically, with an 80# GT500. You're pulling 10 extra pounds for no performance gain when comparing the two bows. Seems like a no-brainer if speed is your ultimate concern.

ntypicl11
03-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Exactly the way I have always felt 3fletch! I was shooting an 80 lb Synergy a few years back. ya gotta love the KE they produce!!!! Than I tried a 90 lb Z, way easier to pull than my Synergy. Shoot what ya want! Wish they would put 80 limbs on a pulse!!!

When ya get a passthru on a 2 very big carp, side by side, 5 feet on the far side of them is a big rock! It curled the tip of my carpin arrow over. THATS KE!!! Only problem was, everytime I shot, it was arrow fixin time! Anything over 70 is absolute :censored2: on arrows and targets!!!

thumper
03-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Holy powerhouse batman ! Are you guy's on steroids ? LOL I'm not trying to be cocky because you could probably fold me up like a pretzel . Man that's alot of weight . Time to go Rhino hunting ! :luck:

eview326
03-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Wish they would put 80 limbs on a pulse!!!

Me too! I ordered a 70lb but would have most definitely went for an 80 if it was available

3Fletch
03-07-2011, 03:55 PM
My point in saying that was this:
The Hunter IBOs at 323... my GT500 IBOs at 343... 20fps difference, which is essentially the same as 10# of draw weight.

If you're that hard up for extra speed that you want a 90# draw, you could get the same speed, theoretically, with an 80# GT500. You're pulling 10 extra pounds for no performance gain when comparing the two bows. Seems like a no-brainer if speed is your ultimate concern.

Your point is correct but with the heavier draw weight you also get more kinetic energy and you still have the forgiving brace height. I'd rather shoot a heavy arrow fast than a lighter one. I currently have 3 bows that are 100 lbs or more. Pulling heavy bows is not an issue, as I mentioned to some people pulling 90 is like others pulling 60-70. If you can handle the weight go for it. Shoot a heavier arrow and add some kinetic energy. You are really shooting something with some power when you break 100 FTLBS of KE... Especially when shooting large animals like elk and moose.

bushpig
03-09-2011, 12:52 PM
I know this is an Elite forum. Nowadays the guys here in South Arica use a 70lb Bowtech destroyer for buffalo and giraffe. You get the the same speed, with a heavy arrow,at 70lb than with most 80lb bows. And bow they are succesful. It all depends on what you want to shoot. I will not chase after speed, it is nice though. At the end of the day it all comes down to shot placement. I also like my 92lb GT500.

Cope
03-09-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm getting a smidge over 84 ft.lbs @ 71lbs. with my Pulse. If they start selling 80-90lbs. limbs for the Pulse, i'm pulling out my foldin' money!!

3Fletch
03-10-2011, 10:28 PM
I know this is an Elite forum. Nowadays the guys here in South Arica use a 70lb Bowtech destroyer for buffalo and giraffe. You get the the same speed, with a heavy arrow,at 70lb than with most 80lb bows. And bow they are succesful. It all depends on what you want to shoot. I will not chase after speed, it is nice though. At the end of the day it all comes down to shot placement. I also like my 92lb GT500.

Not sure where you are getting your information but I guarantee you wont get the same speed out of a 70 LB bow as an 80 LB bow...with the same weight arrow? Now if your comparing a speed bow (destroyer) vs an old slow bow... well then thats obvious. You will typically pick up about 20 FPS out of the same bow by going 10 LB higher draw weight.

My Pure will give that Destroyer a run for its money just because they dont have the long draw... My pure is right at 32"....Oh yeah I have 80LB limbs on the way!

Im getting over 115 ftlbs out of my 80 LB monster...Your not getting that out of any Destroyer 340 or 350...period.

My 100 LB Safari custom is shooting 121 ftlbs of KE....

My 135LB draw Golden Circle is shooting about 130 ftlbs of KE...

Heavy draw bows shoot heavy arrows better than lower poundage bows!

bushpig
03-12-2011, 03:09 PM
If heavy draw bows shoot heavier arrows better than why do you shoot such light arrows out of a heavy draw bow?

3Fletch
03-12-2011, 08:29 PM
435 is the lightest I shoot, 660 gr for elk, I would guess the 660 gr is close to double what most are shooting. I have some that are just over 800 grains that I shoot out of my big bows..(bows over 100 LBS)

Mooneypilot
03-13-2011, 10:02 AM
My heavy bow is currently a Bowtech Tribute with 100 lb limbs, depending on game sought I use 700-1000 grain arrow. I have used it for Hippo, Cape Buffalo, 2 Water Buffalo, Bison and other. I am planning a trip for Elephant in 2012, I will beef arrow up to 1200 grains and would like to get a little more speed to get kinetic energy as high as possible. As far as speed bows go, I want around a 32" ATA and at least a 7" brace height. I also have an 80lb tribute and a 70lb bowtech Destroyer 340. I always shoot heavy arrows 300 & 340 FMJs and the Dangerous game FMJs sometimes with weight tubes.

I shot the Hunter at the bow shop the other day and thought it might be a good replacement. I don't think the 80 limbs would be as fast as the 100 lb tribute. I guess I will keep shooting the tribute and continue looking.

doubled
03-13-2011, 01:02 PM
My heavy bow is currently a Bowtech Tribute with 100 lb limbs.

I'm getting old! I just took the 70lb limbs off of my Elite Judge and went to 60s! Made the decision after sitting up in my stand a few hours one frigid cold December morning and then trying to draw back on a doe, I think hearing every muscle and joint in my back and shoulder pop made enough noise she spooked! :censored2: I used to shoot an 85lb PSE Carrol Intruder back in the day, only 60% let off BTW!

3Fletch
03-14-2011, 10:16 AM
My heavy bow is currently a Bowtech Tribute with 100 lb limbs, depending on game sought I use 700-1000 grain arrow. I have used it for Hippo, Cape Buffalo, 2 Water Buffalo, Bison and other. I am planning a trip for Elephant in 2012, I will beef arrow up to 1200 grains and would like to get a little more speed to get kinetic energy as high as possible. As far as speed bows go, I want around a 32" ATA and at least a 7" brace height. I also have an 80lb tribute and a 70lb bowtech Destroyer 340. I always shoot heavy arrows 300 & 340 FMJs and the Dangerous game FMJs sometimes with weight tubes.

I shot the Hunter at the bow shop the other day and thought it might be a good replacement. I don't think the 80 limbs would be as fast as the 100 lb tribute. I guess I will keep shooting the tribute and continue looking.

FYI: I believe if you get the 80 limbs for the Hunter (90 deflection) and put them on the Pure you will have a 90 LB bow which should have around 120 KE. Even the new Mathews Safari will only go up to 85 LBS. More and more companies are dropping their high poundage bows...

What kind of KE are you getting out of your Tribute? Those are some heavy arrows and should pack a lot of Momentum which as you probably know is more important than KE on those very large thick skinned animals. I would sure like to pursue those dangerous animals with a bow.

Good luck on your elephant hunt!

greenwithenvy

Nuketech04
03-14-2011, 02:42 PM
I know that the extra KE is defenitely a nicety for those that can pull that kind of weight but i know people up here that are killing HUGE moose and HUGE brown bears with a 50lb recurve. Nice to have the extra KE, yes, necessary?? Nope....

Mooneypilot
03-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Last time I measured was for the Hippo and I was just under 110 KE with the bow pulling 94-95 pounds. I would like to get that up to 120 KE for the elephant but I don't think it is in the tribute even if I screwed the limbs all the way down all the way.

3Fletch
03-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Last time I measured was for the Hippo and I was just under 110 KE with the bow pulling 94-95 pounds. I would like to get that up to 120 KE for the elephant but I don't think it is in the tribute even if I screwed the limbs all the way down all the way.

You may try one of the KE calculators and mess around with arrow weight. I believe you can get to 120 but not with those real heavy arrows. There is a point where the heavy arrows will slow down enough and you will loose KE. Your momentum will be greater which may be more important. My pure has about 105 KE with the 435 GR arrows. If I go up to the 660 GR my arrow speed drops to 258 and I drop to 98 KE. The arrow speed calculators really help to fine tune the optimum arrow weight and the resulting speed to achieve the best mix of speed and arrow weight and max kinetic energy.

Good luck!