PDA

View Full Version : Are carbon bows the future of Archery???

Jaben620
03-30-2011, 02:04 AM
If you have shot a Hoyt Carbon Matrix or Element then you know what its like... I dont think ive met anyone that has had bad things to say about those bows... The only complaint ive heard is ''Its too light.''. Which IMO is trivial because you can add weight where you want. They are completely vibe free. No noise what so ever. And hold on target extremely well.

So i have to ask... Are we going to see more manufacturers use carbon as a riser material in 2012 and beyond??? Maybe even in Elites future??? I know cost is one varible that is important to consider... On both ends. Manufacterer and consumer... But the cost of Hoyts carbon bows dropped significantly in their 2nd year. Is it possible we see full lineups of carbon bows from most bow companys by 2020??

Lets hear your opinions....

Magilla
03-30-2011, 04:44 AM
I think the cost involved to gear up for making carbon fiber risers would be too much for the smaller manufacturers. The way Elite is growing you just never know. If the likes of Hoyt, Mathews, PSE and Bowtech start bringing out carbon fiber bows at a reasonable price it might be a case of join them or sink. There is still a lot of room for improvement in other aspects of bow design as well.

eros
03-30-2011, 07:16 AM
I don't think they will get the cost down for all bow makers to switch to carbon risers.

I would think the next big change for bows will be bow limbs made from another material.

The last few years its all about cheating on brace and cams to achive speeds

chappy
03-30-2011, 09:21 AM
At first I wasn't impressed with them. Finally shooting a "tuned" element I love it. I'm not getting one, but would love to if I could swing it. Imagine a binary system on that riser, Revs?, and that'd be the sweetest bow made.

Karbon
03-30-2011, 09:48 AM
I thought about a Reved Element too.

Twisted Archer
03-30-2011, 12:17 PM
I know things have improved dramatically with carbon riser and technology but I still have nightmares from HCA and their carbon riser, the shop I managed had to warranty a couple and it took at least 15 risers to get one that would work.

With that still in the back of my brain I would have to "Pass", at least for now. I have a couple of staff shooters that own them and they love them so I know I will be getting feedback from them, and I hope they are as good as they were lead to believe.

ntypicl11
03-30-2011, 12:35 PM
They are gonna have to pick up alot of speed before I even look!

Karbon
03-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Yup...not a speed bow, and the valley was rather short IMO.

superdiablo
03-30-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't think they will get the cost down for all bow makers to switch to carbon risers.

I would think the next big change for bows will be bow limbs made from another material.

I am with you. I would rather prefer a true revolution in limbs material-design along with string materials before ...

Tater
03-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Yup...not a speed bow, and the valley was rather short IMO.

I will say, that I just tuned a new Carbon Element last night. I am impressed with how Hoyt has been rating their bows and the three 2011 models that I have shot this year has me really considering them as a future purchse. The 2011 grip is my new all time favorite grip of any bow.

The finished specs for the 2011 CE I done last night were:

27 3/8" DL (27" mod setting)
70.5# DW
loaded string (tied nocks sets, d-loop, 10.8gr fletcher peep)
484gr arrow @ 263.5fps
358gr arrow @ 301.2fps

I feel like that's pretty comparable to a 335-338 IBO, and that's figured at 27.375" DL. Pretty good for a measured 7 1/8" BH. Go ahead Steve, have Scott get you one, I bet he can probably find more than that out of one.

My guess is that the #2 base came is far more efficient than the #3 base cam that they use for 30" DL, which is what they would figure their speed ratings off of. I'll know more about a #3 base cam by the end of the week because I waiting on strings for one right now, should have them in a day or two.

P.Smash
03-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Just my opinion: I dont see the advantages being that drastic over a aluminum riser bow, once you figure in the extra cost. Also I trade bows every couple of years so it seems kinda trivial to me.....

DrenalinHunter
03-30-2011, 03:01 PM
If I had the fund's I would have an all black Element sitting here right now. It's hard to appreciate them untile you actually can pick one up for yourself.

The look's are starting to grow on me!

Cope
03-30-2011, 03:15 PM
I personally wouldn't own one. They look like a grape vine. When they were first announced i didn't get all the raves about it. High Country had been there done that. Granted, it didn't work out for them. I've just never seen a Hoyt that has tickled my fancy.

bowzone_mikey
03-30-2011, 03:39 PM
I used to be a hard core Hoyt fan .....the Carbon bow was the first time in 10 years they did anything drastically differant ...and its 15 to 20 years old idea ...Via Diamond(before bowtech bought them) and as previously mentioned HCA.

I personally cant see manufacturers going to an all carbon line-up ... as their bread and butter are casual archers/bowhunters .... that dont wanna spend $1000 plus for a bare bow and personally when I picked one up and shot it I hated it ...the grip was all wrong and I personally thought it was top heavy because it wanted to fall forward like an APA does. I bought my Pure on the feel of a GT500 ...not the smartest thing to do I know but I am glad I did gamble on it...

Jaben620
03-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Just for the record High Country used compressed carbon risers.... Hoyt is using tubular which isnt even close t the crap HCA was making....

Maybee-R
03-30-2011, 05:13 PM
I think its out of reality for a smaller business to go to Carbon risers.
I'm sure there are benefits to them but I use to buy three bows for the price of one.
Reason for leaving Mathews years ago was the $1100 dollar price tag on the Apex.
Bows are pricing them selfs out of business. $2,100 for a Safari and $1,200 for the Hoyt. I'm thinking about going back to Golfing for fun. Cheaper!!

P.Smash
03-30-2011, 05:34 PM
Ok, "golfing" and "fun" used in the same sentence must be a typo!!! :D

Unless of course you mean "driving a golf cart loaded with cold beer" and "fun".......then you're ok :)

bowzone_mikey
03-30-2011, 06:14 PM
Ok, "golfing" and "fun" used in the same sentence must be a typo!!! :D

Unless of course you mean "driving a golf cart loaded with cold beer" and "fun".......then you're ok :)

now there has never a more more truthfull statement ever written ....

shootstraight
03-30-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm currently in the process of making a riser out of carbon arrow cutoffs, I mean what a waste to throw out all that expensive carbon. Glue it together with gorilla glue, a little bondo and a sharpie, I'm expecting to be able to stop the body shop business when this takes off.

L-train
03-30-2011, 07:00 PM
If I had the fund's I would have an all black Element sitting here right now. It's hard to appreciate them untile you actually can pick one up for yourself.

The look's are starting to grow on me!

I think that elements far and away the baddest looking bow made.
If it used a cable rod, that I could clamp a tilttamer on I would have one. They are sweeeeet, even for hybrid cams, but then hoyt knows how to build them.

Jaben620
03-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Remember folks... This thread isnt about the Hoyt carbon bows and what your opinion is about em... Its about carbon being used more extensively in the future... And for those that think the carbon bows are going to stay 1200 dollars are mistaken. In their second year the price has already dropped from 1600 to 1200. I bet next year you can find one with a tag right around 1000.

Maybee-R
03-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Remember folks... This thread isnt about the Hoyt carbon bows and what your opinion is about em... Its about carbon being used more extensively in the future... And for those that think the carbon bows are going to stay 1200 dollars are mistaken. In their second year the price has already dropped from 1600 to 1200. I bet next year you can find one with a tag right around 1000.
I doubt it jabs. Im pretty sure it cost more to build a carbon riser then aluminum. and aluminum is already hitting the 1000 dollar mark. (Prime)

mchildress
03-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Have yall seen this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-zSiKbfx3o&NR=1

DustyRx
03-30-2011, 08:37 PM
I think someone should run over their Elites with a truck and see how they do. REEEEEMMMMMMMMMY!!!!!!!!!!!

Smart
03-30-2011, 08:41 PM
I. The only complaint ive heard is ''Its too light.''. Which IMO is trivial because you can add weight where you want....

Trivial to some but others could wonder why one would purchase a bow knowing they had to add more weight to it than an aluminum bow.

Personally I don't care for the bicycle look of carbon tubing either..

ontarget7
03-30-2011, 10:01 PM
Carbon risers do make for a sweet shooting bow. They hold better than any aluminum bow I have ever owned. If I were Elite I would be looking into it to see if it was doable.

elitezthebest
03-30-2011, 10:39 PM
I think the snow camo is the future in archery!!

CATrapper
03-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Hoyt will own this market for awhile as I'm sure their not giving up the patent to use the tubular carbon for quite sometime. Unless someone wants to try angular tubes.

standsitter
03-30-2011, 11:20 PM
IMO you give this riser some time and a lot of shooting and I think some problems will show up. Flexing and associated noise are a sure bet. What about the adhesives, I mean the bow is held together with glue....

CATrapper
03-30-2011, 11:30 PM
IMO you give this riser some time and a lot of shooting and I think some problems will show up. Flexing and associated noise are a sure bet. What about the adhesives, I mean the bow is held together with glue....

The risers were developed and made by a major bike company that has had this technology for quite some time. I think they will hold up but anything is possible.

woodbooger
03-31-2011, 09:55 AM
I think that elements far and away the baddest looking bow made.
If it used a cable rod, that I could clamp a tilttamer on I would have one. They are sweeeeet, even for hybrid cams, but then hoyt knows how to build them.

agree completely

superdiablo
03-31-2011, 10:09 AM
Carbontech offers a carbon riser compound as well, I believe it is made by Win&Win archery from South Korea (their experience with recurve carbon risers/limbs is considerable now). It is not tubular, looks more "traditional"shape. Anyone knows something more?

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee239/superdiablojmp/Carbontechcarboncompound2010.jpg

eltaco
03-31-2011, 10:23 AM
I've not personally shot them yet, but I believe the fundamental idea of reducing the bow's weight appeals to me greatly as an elk hunter. That said, the $1200 price-tag takes it out of the running for me. I truthfully don't see the price-tag on the premium carbon bows dropping much, if any, below this point. I could see them offering a lower performance bow at a discount, which again, wouldn't appeal to me.

I'd love it if I were wrong. I'd certainly give 'em a shot if so. As it stands, currently, the cost outweighs the potential benefit to me.

Chippy (aka Slippy)
03-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Are carbon bows the future of Archery???

Yep. I feel it, deep down in my plums. Carbon composite not real carbon of course as the C14 assigns a half life of 5,730 years which could possibly be sped up by hand torque. Not to mention improper pressing.

eros
03-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Man the You Tube spot shows they one tuff bow.

Stixshooter
04-30-2011, 02:06 AM
I really like mine .. It holds so nice

Shot a 60 yard hood 1 hour out of the shop

Very pleased with the bow .. Yea I think we will see more carbon bows

tomkat04
04-30-2011, 06:56 AM
I like mine

Sent from my Droid

tomkat04
04-30-2011, 07:14 AM
Just for the record High Country used compressed carbon risers.... Hoyt is using tubular which isnt even close t the crap HCA was making....

No doubt. I still remember my HCA twisting in the press. Yikes that was scary. I was apprehensive until I got my hands on the Element. I was looking for something different that shoots great. The Element is all that and more for me!

I read how people don't like them, and I wonder how many of the nay sayers have given it a shot. I wasn't a fan until I shot mine.
Sent from my Droid

ontarget7
04-30-2011, 09:40 AM
No doubt. I still remember my HCA twisting in the press. Yikes that was scary. I was apprehensive until I got my hands on the Element. I was looking for something different that shoots great. The Element is all that and more for me!

I read how people don't like them, and I wonder how many of the nay sayers have given it a shot. I wasn't a fan until I shot mine.
Sent from my Droid

Would have to agree. With anytime at all behind them its tough not to like them. I remember thinking to myself I would never have one of those in my stable. Well I would have to take those words back now. For how light they are they hold extremely well at full draw. Not sure it would ever happen but would like to see an Elite carbon riser with a tilt tamer or a similar TI glide cable rod system.

chappy
04-30-2011, 12:08 PM
If I could afford it, I'd buy an all black Element and have Crackers Z3 it up.

Cope
04-30-2011, 09:16 PM
You guys don't have to worry about me standing in line in front of you for one. I just can't get over the general appearance of the Element. My Pulse is prettier than your Element... NanaNana BooBoo!!! LMAO!!:rockon:

teflonhunter
04-30-2011, 09:33 PM
I don't think they are the "near" future of archery. You can get recurves in aluminum , wood and carbon and have been able to for awhile. I think there will be "entry" level bows for sale in aluminum risers "forever".:)

Blacktail187
04-30-2011, 10:36 PM
I dont think so, nothin wrong with aluminum risers

UPS'r
04-30-2011, 10:44 PM
If I could afford it, I'd buy an all black Element and have Crackers Z3 it up.

I have said I would never pay 1200.00 on a bow. Well I my eating my words now. I made the mistake of shooting one lol. I LOVE everything about this bow but the back side of the Fuel cam. So my CE is setting at Crackers waiting on some Z3 cams. From what I have heard this will be a awesome combo. I do think the new Elite cam would be better though.

Cajun Blake
05-01-2011, 12:20 AM
FYI - Before Diamond was bought out by Bowtech, they were located in Shreveport, LA and designed several carbon fiber riser bows.

I owned 3 of them which were produced around 2002-03 and IIRC these bows sold $699.00 roughly 10 yrs ago

The CF bows were named "Marquis" (split limbs / dual cams ) and "Widowmaker" (solid limb / single cam) and weighed right at 2.5 lbs. , 36" ATA

unbelievably lightweight and I do recall some handshock

Diamond sold the CF riser rights to High Country in 2004.

i got pics somewhere as I'll have to find 'em and post up

tapout155
05-01-2011, 01:19 AM
I hope not, because all of the carbon bows are so damned ugly. I lolve the carbon element and matrix. To be honest, they were the best shows i've shot to date, right next to my GT500 but it seems you really have to ugly up a bow to make it carbon.

tomkat04
05-01-2011, 01:40 PM
I owned the diamond hornet way back when cajun. I really liked that bow.

Sent from my Droid