PDA

View Full Version : Gto Is A 350 Ibo Bow Clarification

trophytaker75
04-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Here's one
GTO 29/70 337fps 500gr super slim 284fps w/peep - loop

Who says the GTO is not a 350fps bow.Elite usses a chrono that is 7fps faster then most chrono's and i am sure their chrono is allot more accurate then most.The GTO speed rating is 340-350@30"70# idk any manufacturer that does not have a 10fps variance from bow to bow.If you take this bow that is getting 337fps and add 10fps for drawlength that puts it at 347 which makes it hit its mark then you add the 7fps that most chronos run slow to elites then you are at 354 and from the way i read it that with a peep and loop.That is above the speed it is suppost to.Crackers and micheal have done awesome things to these bows to get the speeds and make the bows shoot nicer,but you do not have to get them supertuned as they are awesome bows that shoot closer to advertised IBO out of the box then allot of bows out there.Sorry for the venting just getting sick of guys bashing Elite on speed i think a little knowledge and understanding is needed in this area.Their were a few bows that left elite that did not make speed and everyone knows this and they also know that they can call elite and elite will fix the issue free of charge so if you have an issue call elite,but first you might want to do some adding and make sure your bow is not closer then what you think.

Masheen76
04-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Here's one

Who says the GTO is not a 350fps bow.Elite usses a chrono that is 7fps faster then most chrono's and i am sure their chrono is allot more accurate then most.The GTO speed rating is 340-350@30"70# idk any manufacturer that does not have a 10fps variance from bow to bow.If you take this bow that is getting 337fps and add 10fps for drawlength that puts it at 347 which makes it hit its mark then you add the 7fps that most chronos run slow to elites then you are at 354 and from the way i read it that with a peep and loop.

Actually, aren't GTOs supposed to gain between 12-15fps going from 29" draw to 30"??? I may be incorrect on that, but if it is indeed correct and these numbers posted are true then this would be a 350-350+.

Crackers
04-17-2008, 02:03 PM
I have tried the pro chrono and their lighting is terrible and they will always read slow. We have seen this at every ASA shoot we have been to....they use this machine. I have talked to many people that I didn't know who shot through it and asked how close it was to their chrono and it averages 5 - 7 fps slower

archer1983
04-17-2008, 02:09 PM
TT- Sounds like your chrono is reading fast.

:laugh:

trophytaker75
04-17-2008, 02:14 PM
The GTO speeds I listed was 1 that crackers done and is listed in the GTO posts it was not 1 of mine.I believe Crackers has done some testing and his chrono is fairly accurate to allot of peoples on here dont know how far off from Elites it is though.

2xR
04-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Congrats TT - I agree. I am at at 348fps IBO/AMO - Thanks Michael!!!

mdewitt71
04-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Nothing against the GTO; I WANT ONE.....but,
I will believe 350 FPS when I see it come up on the chrony as that......Speed calculators are O.K to play with but, I don't go by nothing but the real speeds myself.

The adding "10 FPS per inch", "per pound of draw", and "wieght on the string" are just calculations...
I have seen many a speed bows that do not (as well as some that do) meet these calculation numbers.

ICH BIN
04-17-2008, 04:25 PM
I have tried the pro chrono and their lighting is terrible and they will always read slow. We have seen this at every ASA shoot we have been to....they use this machine. I have talked to many people that I didn't know who shot through it and asked how close it was to their chrono and it averages 5 - 7 fps slower

Which chrono have you found to give accurate readings below $200?

Thanks for the feedback.

e

EricO
04-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Which chrono have you found to give accurate readings below $200?

Thanks for the feedback.

e

I have $1 that says he uses the archery model listed here: www.chrony.ca

Crackers
04-17-2008, 09:13 PM
What do I win if your right?

Tuskbuster
04-17-2008, 09:16 PM
What do I win if your right?

3 fps.:thumb:

Mxracer532
04-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Here's one

Who says the GTO is not a 350fps bow.Elite usses a chrono that is 7fps faster then most chrono's and i am sure their chrono is allot more accurate then most.The GTO speed rating is 340-350@30"70# idk any manufacturer that does not have a 10fps variance from bow to bow.If you take this bow that is getting 337fps and add 10fps for drawlength that puts it at 347 which makes it hit its mark then you add the 7fps that most chronos run slow to elites then you are at 354 and from the way i read it that with a peep and loop.That is above the speed it is suppost to.Crackers and micheal have done awesome things to these bows to get the speeds and make the bows shoot nicer,but you do not have to get them supertuned as they are awesome bows that shoot closer to advertised IBO out of the box then allot of bows out there.Sorry for the venting just getting sick of guys bashing Elite on speed i think a little knowledge and understanding is needed in this area.Their were a few bows that left elite that did not make speed and everyone knows this and they also know that they can call elite and elite will fix the issue free of charge so if you have an issue call elite,but first you might want to do some adding and make sure your bow is not closer then what you think.

I will second this in a heart beat.

archer58inPA
04-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks TT for the "venting". It needed to be said IMO. :thumb:

quackho
04-17-2008, 09:51 PM
I would like to add my two cents on the chronograph issue here. It is not so much that Elite uses a chrono that is 7fps faster than others but they do use what is probably the most accurate. I have found after shooting over 100s of chronos around the country that most major brands are pretty accurate and you will get more variation off of lighting then you will by brand. I competed in IPSC (handgun) at the professional level and we had to make a certain velocity (minimum) or we were penalized. A 9mm bullet traveling at over 1400fps and we would only see about 10fps + or -. An arrow being much larger and easier to read will generally give a much smaller deviation. I own a Chrony, ProChrono, Pact and an Oehler and on any given day under the same lighting conditions all 4 will measure within 2fps on average (at 325fps). I get a bigger deviation shooting multiple arrows through the same chrono then I do when I shoot one through each in succession.

Where does all this get you? Owning a chrono is great so that you can try something new and check your results but they are not the best to compare to what someone on the other side of the country says they are getting. There is no magic 7fps difference between chronos but I do find it funny that an unfletched arrow(mine) gets exactly 7fps more than an identical fletched one and I bet that very few are testing their new GTO's with unfletched arrows.

Buy the best you can afford because just like the bows that we are shooting, you get what you pay for. Coincidentally, if I had to rate mine they would go, Oehler, Pact, ProChrono, Chrony which is also how they go from highest $ to lowest.

trophytaker75
04-18-2008, 01:41 AM
WOW and i thought i was clarifying something so you are saying that it is possible that the 2 chrono's being the Oehler and the prochrony are shooting the same speed the only diff. is Elite like most manufacturers are using a bare shaft to get their speeds.It has always been known that bow manufacturers use a bareshaft for chronoing but i guess i never knew it would actually be faster guess i never even thought about trying it.I guess in my defense i always just figured 350 grn arrow would be the same no matter what And the inconveniance of fletching for a manufacturer would not be worth it.Is it possible that their sensors are better tuned and that is the real reason or are all oeler chrono's the same and how much does calibration and sensor alignment have to do with this.I have to admit i am chronographically challenged and have not really read up on this so I would really like to hear your veiws on this.Also in your opinion what is the best cheap press and what do you think about the bow mounted radar chrono's.Thanx

Archery-Addiction
04-18-2008, 01:52 AM
I heard that as long as your bow does not have any serving seperation, it will not lose the 7fps. :crosshair:

trophytaker75
04-18-2008, 02:44 AM
Im ok i dont shoot schmidty strings so i dont get any.Here i thought you had grown up and started acting all adult.Guess people never do change.

quackho
04-18-2008, 03:13 AM
I just find it funny how one person says that Elite's chrono is 7fps faster and it gets repeated over and over as if it is the only fast one out there or that it is intentional to get speeds up. I do not know if Elite uses bare shaft testing or not but fletching does add drag so if you remove it you will increase speed. Most good chrono's are calibrated using rifle velocities and are 99.5% accurate or better which equates to a pretty small number at an arrows velocity. Like I said, all mine will average nearly identical to each other but my Oehler is by far the most consistent and less "picky" about the lighting. I can say that as serious as we were about making "major"(but staying as close to minimum as possible) I never once tried to figure out how to load ammo based on the brand of chrono that was going to be used. We factored in air temperature and altitude but never which brand. As for the bow mounted ones? I havent shot much through one but the fact that the sensors are moving as the arrow is shot doesnt seem like a good situation to me. Maybe I need to test it more though.

2xR
04-18-2008, 05:05 AM
Im ok i dont shoot schmidty strings so i dont get any.Here i thought you had grown up and started acting all adult.Guess people never do change.

X2 TT. As far as Elite having the only chrono that is 7 fps faster... Well, Michael and Crackers have chrono's that are 7ish fps faster too, because they are getting all the bows they setup into the advertised 340-350 fps IBO range...:woohoo:

quackho
04-18-2008, 09:19 AM
They are getting those speeds because they are using the best strings and they are the best at tuning them. I picked up 6fps by putting on a set of Crackers strings myself and I am definitely not a supertuner. I would be willing to bet a plane ticket that if I flew out to one of those "fast chronos" that my combination would clock with in + or - 3fps of 324.

Scablands
04-18-2008, 09:24 AM
I read somewhere that if you use a blunt for the point readings will be more consistent or accurate but have never tested it.

quackho
04-18-2008, 09:31 AM
I will try a blunt but these things are designed to measure the speeds of .17 caliber bullets at over 4000fps. I think an arrow would be easy for it to see no matter what head was on it.

Cliff Orley
04-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Gee whiz, I must have some mighty fast bows than.:)

ICH BIN
04-18-2008, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=quackho;51483]
There is no magic 7fps difference between chronos but I do find it funny that an unfletched arrow(mine) gets exactly 7fps more than an identical fletched one and I bet that very few are testing their new GTO's with unfletched arrows.

Thanks for the input on the subject. It is very helpful. Just to clarify, your unfletched arrow and fletched weighed the same? If it was the identical arrow then 25 grains additional weight matters.

Thanks for your feedback.

E

Archery-Addiction
04-18-2008, 04:12 PM

I was just having a little fun with you, I thought you would have got smart by now and realized this. Oh, and about schmidty's strings that I didn't say anything about. How would you know if they seperate or not, you have never shot one!

quackho
04-18-2008, 04:34 PM
same exact arrow but the unfletched is actually .4gr heavier than the fletched. I made an epoxy insert that goes into the arrow and is glued in to keep it from shifting. That wasn't my point though.

2xR
04-18-2008, 05:03 PM
I will try a blunt but these things are designed to measure the speeds of .17 caliber bullets at over 4000fps. I think an arrow would be easy for it to see no matter what head was on it.

You would think that wouldn't you. But thinking usually gets me in trouble!