PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of owning multiple bows?

Tanner Mann
03-01-2012, 02:01 AM
I'm definitely not trashing owning multiple bows, in fact I respect it a lot.

With that being said, if you don't shoot competitively, what are the BIG incentives in owning multiples?

I'm thinking about buying a second bow :)

I kinda figure having a second bow means you spend less time perfecting shooting the other bow. IDK.

Don Beaver
03-01-2012, 02:50 AM
If you're strictly a hunter I can see getting away with one bow, but there are still a few reasons to own more. I can see owning a short, lightweight rig for chasing turkeys or whitetails from blinds and a longer more accurate bow for spot and stalk hunting... Or a heavy hitter for chasing larger game... Or a black bow for blinds and a camo bow for stands... Or a camo bow for early season stands and a snow camo bow for late season stands...

I could go on and on. :) One bow will suit the hunter just fine... But we still find reasons to have more than one. Just cuz we want to... :D

wdriver
03-01-2012, 03:04 AM
It's also a good idea to have a back up bow. Speaking of a back up, I could use another... like a Pure with speed mods....:liebe069:

bfoot
03-01-2012, 04:02 AM
I have twenty bows and in my case I have definably gone overboard. However, owning say,five bows makes sense to me. All of my Elites are 2008 and older (13 bows) I have two each of six models but I wanted one Ninja and one camo of each as they are my favorite Elites. I suppose you could get by with a couple bows, but I think I would always have at least five.
I enjoy working on the bows, I have learned to tune, change out cams, limbs, and customize bows having owned so many. The downside for me is I spend more time tuning and working on bows than shooting them.
To each his own I guess.

duda
03-01-2012, 06:34 AM
I just like to have a backup. Stuff happens. If you were to cut your string by accident with a broadhead you could be down for a week. If limbs or cams got damaged in the process it could take longer.

deerct101
03-01-2012, 06:59 AM
There are upsides and downsides to owning multiple bows. Having a backup like someone said strings/cams can go down and a backup is always good, but owning multiple bows adds more expense to the equation. I also believe if you own multiple bows you need to have the tools, press and draw board to be able to do the maintenance that is needed without having to go to the shop everytime.

Button Buck
03-01-2012, 07:24 AM
I have 4, I just like em! I love to shoot them and work on them. I try different releases, fletchings, etc. It's just what I enjoy, so I have more than one. They're all really hunting rigs actually, but I do shoot Hunter class in local 3D tourneys.

Rather B. Hunting
03-01-2012, 07:39 AM
Here's each of my bow's purpose:

70# Aigil - turned down to 63# it is my primary hunting bow. A veritable killing machine. If I ever do go on that dream western hunt for elk or Canada for bear, I'll dial it up to #70.
60# Aigil - Will see some hunting time this year. Just dipped it in Mothwing Winter Mimicry. It's the only Elite I shoot in "stock" condition, meaning with the thumper thing in place. So it gives me a different feel at release.
60# GTO - Another killing machine and it's my speed bow. Fast, relatively quiet, it's just fun to shoot. It would be my backup on aforementioned dream hunt.
50# GTO - dipped in Orange Game Day, it's my sore shoulder days bow.
Ross 331 - Also a great hunting bow and it's the one I take out in the really crappy weather, ie rain or snow. I consider it my short range bow because it doesn't have the giddyup that my Elites have. I also shoot it lefthanded just for the heck of it.
ZMax - the first truly great bow I ever had, for its time, and a reminder to me of when Mathews made great bows.

archer58inPA
03-01-2012, 08:39 AM
I usually have 2 bows.
I need a back up to the primary bow.
Several years ago I pulled a slick move and left my bow on the hood of my truck
and tried to drive off. Needless to say the cam and string didn't fare well when it hit the
tarmack. That's what happens when you get in a hurry.
I was out of business for 2 weeks, just at the peak of the rut.
At this point I have 3 bows.
I'll set one up for 3D and spots for the summer. Most likely the Judge.
2 is all I need , but if I don't shoot the Judge as much as I planned, it will be the one I sell.
I should sell it now.:slap: I need some bling for my Pulse and Answer.
:cheese:

HORSEMOVER
03-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Kinda like a beer...how can you just have one

Maybee-R
03-01-2012, 08:52 AM
I have twenty bows and in my case I have definably gone overboard. However, owning say,five bows makes sense to me. All of my Elites are 2008 and older (13 bows) I have two each of six models but I wanted one Ninja and one camo of each as they are my favorite Elites. I suppose you could get by with a couple bows, but I think I would always have at least five.
I enjoy working on the bows, I have learned to tune, change out cams, limbs, and customize bows having owned so many. The downside for me is I spend more time tuning and working on bows than shooting them.
To each his own I guess.

You ever see the TV show titled Hoarders? You might need the host of the show to step in and help you out brother. LOL!

HORSEMOVER
03-01-2012, 09:05 AM
You ever see the TV show titled Hoarders? You might need the host of the show to step in and help you out brother. LOL!

Only if he has 800 lbs of cat feces in his bow room...LMAO

bucktrout
03-01-2012, 09:06 AM
I have 3 bows, and i use 3 bows. in fact every bow i have ever owned (as an adult) I have killed deer with. My 3 current bows all killed deer this past season.

Bow and backup - I always have 2 bows for hunting that i rotate 50/50, i always have a bow ready to hunt, 3d, shoot.

Camp bow - One bow I leave at hunt cabin, it's nice to have a bow around up there full time.

IRISH66
03-01-2012, 10:01 AM
I can't help it I have this sickness..... I am tying to keep it under control but "IT" is winning the battle:hit_self:

Grizz
03-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Kinda like a beer...how can you just have one

Pretty much sums it up right there.

chappy
03-01-2012, 12:06 PM
I can't help it I have this sickness..... I am tying to keep it under control but "IT" is winning the battle:hit_self:

You've got nothing on Karbon as you probably know. That man buys some bows every year. Don't know how many he keeps in the stabl at one time though.

Twisted Archer
03-01-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm definitely not trashing owning multiple bows, in fact I respect it a lot.

With that being said, if you don't shoot competitively, what are the BIG incentives in owning multiples?

I'm thinking about buying a second bow :)

I kinda figure having a second bow means you spend less time perfecting shooting the other bow. IDK.

True but if you have more than one of the same bow then it really doesn't matter as it is the same exact bow, I use to be big into having a bunch of different bows at one time. I believe the most I ever had at a single time was 22 Bowtech's, 5 PSE's, 3 Hoyt's and 2 Kodiack Outdoors but I carried all of those in the proshop I managed and I always wanted to be honest when a customer asked about them so I just bought them and shot them. To be honest I still have more than most but back then I had a couple of the ones I really liked and then just one of all the others and I was OK with all of them but not really good with any of them, now I have streamlined my collection to the two I shoot well and my groups are much better as I only have Envy's and SBH Energy's that I shoot regularly. I still own a PSE Mojo 3D that was used on the TV show Smallville by the Green Arrow character and a Pro 40 but that one will soon be finding a new home, granted I own 8 Envy's and 3 SBH Energy's but at least they are only two different bows instead of the herd I use to have.

And it is always a good idea to have a back up if you can afford it because you never know what could happen, and if it was me I would have two of the same bows if I could only have two that way you could go from one to the other and nothing really changes.

340axis
03-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Nothing will turn your once in a life time hunting trip into a camping trip faster than not having a back up bow!!!!!!!!!!!

KodiakArcher
03-01-2012, 01:56 PM
As far as hunting goes I keep 2 bows around set up identically. The nice thing about Elite is that I can switch mid-season when the snow flies!
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/robswanson/Archery/IMG_0285-2.jpg

fraz23
03-01-2012, 02:02 PM
for hunting, its nice to have a backup IMO

for competitive shooting, its nice to have a bow for each type of tournament you shoot, cuts down on switching equipment all the time

P.Smash
03-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Well ya got two hands dont ya??? Unless you're a gimp, then maybe one is plenty......or to many? :noidea:

TEXAS 10PT
03-01-2012, 09:27 PM
I have several bows but many of them are the same model. I hunt in the middle of nowhere that is 8 hrs away from home so I always have a backup. I also have many of the same models that original parts aren't available anymore so if one goes down I still have parts to fix it in its original condition. I'm sure I have too many bows but have regretted selling a bunch of them in the past so I keep hoarding them now LOL

TEXAS

Bulldog
03-02-2012, 08:06 AM
I have two bows myself, but now since I moved to ELite..who needs two bows, when Elite will send you one within 24 hours already set-up to get running again :bow:.......I love their warranty and standards and it can't be beat. However, I understand the addiction for multiple bows - - it's like a drug :pop2:

cicero
03-02-2012, 09:07 AM
they are happier when they have friends to hang with!!

x-ring-1
03-02-2012, 11:08 AM
I own several different bows and do that because I hunt, shoot spots, shoot 3-D. I always have a hunting bow back up to. Stuff happens an it is always best to be prepared!

Rgarbarino
03-02-2012, 11:18 AM
The most I've owned at one time is 3. Now I'm down to just the Answer. I understand having a backup but I'd rather get completely dialed in with 1 bow and use it for everything.

Grizz
03-02-2012, 11:43 AM
I have several bows but many of them are the same model. I hunt in the middle of nowhere that is 8 hrs away from home so I always have a backup. I also have many of the same models that original parts aren't available anymore so if one goes down I still have parts to fix it in its original condition. I'm sure I have too many bows but have regretted selling a bunch of them in the past so I keep hoarding them now LOL

TEXAS

Jeff, do you carry a small press to lease with you? If so which one you got? I am thinking of getting one, because I'd to have to drive 4 hours to nearest bow shop.

TexasCanesFan
03-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Jeff, do you carry a small press to lease with you? If so which one you got? I am thinking of getting one, because I'd to have to drive 4 hours to nearest bow shop.

It is called the Wassaw press. Does everything for you!!! :D :D :D

Maybee-R
03-02-2012, 11:51 AM
This weekend is reason for me to own more then one bow. Indoor championships and a local 3d shoot thats pretty large. Probably wont do well in either but I have the chance to with two set ups, one for each style of targets. Good thing Turkey season isnt open yet. Or there would be another reason to own another bow, lol.

wassaw
03-02-2012, 12:24 PM

Sean, i use a bowmaster press for traveling. 30-40 bucks and will fold up and store in a small zipper bag

DustyRx
03-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Sean, i use a bowmaster press for traveling. 30-40 bucks and will fold up and store in a small zipper bag

Great investment!

I almost had a disaster 2 years ago in Nebraska when my peep cut a few strands of string. I will always have a backup with me now.

Rick
03-02-2012, 05:04 PM
I own 3 bows. One (Pure) for hunting fall, One (GT500) for hunting winter w/snow camo, and One (xxl) which was my first Elite and my backup. Can't seem to let her go. I have owned 2 others that I sold. 1-XLR, and another Pure.

rookie0014
03-02-2012, 05:04 PM
the reason i told myself i needed another was the gt is in realtree and the pure is in snow so i have a early season bow and a late season bow. not really a good reason but it dont take much to justify another elite to me......:)

Grizz
03-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Not sure I can afford it, but I'd love to have a wassaw, maybee or a Jerry press. :D

HORSEMOVER
03-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Not sure I can afford it, but I'd love to have a wassaw, maybee or a Jerry press. :D

Wouldn't we all :rofl:

hyj
03-02-2012, 09:15 PM
I always keep two ready to go. if somethin happens on an evening hunt, I wanna be able to get up in the morning and go hunting. Tinker time is over for me come deer or turkey season...

TEXAS 10PT
03-02-2012, 09:46 PM

No sir I just always take at least two bows.

TEXAS

Z-Rider
03-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Multiple bows allow me to dedicate a longer ATA rig to a 3D set-up. Then I have one for hunting with slightly shorter ATA and a 3rd for a back-up to either one of the others. You never know when at the last minute, right before a shoot or hunt when something can go haywire on you.

kydirtbag
03-03-2012, 09:33 AM
It's safer than having multiple women! Lololol

Rev'd e500-Yeti built

old man archer
03-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Actually I would like to say I own multiple bows for many of the reasons already stated but the main and probably real reason is because I want to. I've enjoyed this sport for more than a few years and have worked my butt off over those years and the bows I own are one of my rewards for doing so no matter how I felt or what I endured to do that work. So truthfully it is because I want to own them and enjoy shooting them. Over the years I have shot every venue that archery has to offer and enjoyed them all and at any opportunity given will do so again.OMA

benel3006
03-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Have multiple bows for many of the reasons stated here. I don't keep them all identical but I do spend time set each up and sighting it in. I don't shoot year round as winters can get pretty cold here and the snow deep so it limits the outside stuff. I do shoot thru most of the Spring and Summer. I start at low poundage and concentrate on form and will go up in poundage thru the Summer. I'll start hunting mid-Sept and go thru to the New Year. At this time I don't make the time to shoot as much as I would like so by Nov I'm backing down 10# or so. Easier just to have a different bow all set up and ready to go than back down and reset.

bgriff008
03-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Ya, Im debating on getting a second bow. Which I would set up identical to my current z28. I would be heart broken if something happened when I go hunting and I was without a bow to hunt with. I too hunt way up North in Michigan with my Brother inlaw and would be PI$$ED off it a lost anytime hunting. I take my weeks vacation then, so missing time is unacceptable. But I understand it could happen.

mongopino915
03-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Currently have:
- 4 Elites
- 2 Hoyts
- 2 Bowtechs
- 1 PSE
- 1 G5
All hunting bows. Each bow has its own unique flavor. Can shoot some more accurate than others. Never had the need but always have a back up ready at camp.

It is more of an addiction than anything else. A little over kill but we only live once.

Oh, almost forgot to mention the forgiving and wonderful wife part.

Todd Imiola
03-04-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm like a few of the others I need a backup bow. You never know and being gone on a hunt, away from home, far away from any pro shop is not the place to run into bow problems.