PDA

View Full Version : Hand held vs. Strap type release

caseys101
06-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Could anyone chime in on the pros and cons of hand held releases?I am tempted to try one but they don't seem to be used all that often for hunting. I haven't been around many target shooters to know what they use. Are they more accurate? I wondering about the back of the hand toward the face shooting style.
Thanks

caseys101
06-17-2008, 02:18 PM
I was also wondering if the release type has any effect on your draw length.

mlk3454
06-17-2008, 04:53 PM
I use a Chappy Boss as my primary release for target and hunting. I have been using it for the last 3 years and did notice better accuracy when I moved to it from my Winn Free Flight C-10. I use a Carter Quickie for my back-up when I hunt as it is small and I can throw it in my pocket and not know it is there. Between the two types of releases i personally shoot better with the Chappy Boss than I do with the strap styles.

My $.02

TEXAS 10PT
06-17-2008, 05:10 PM
I switched from a Scott Mongoose to a Carter Chocolate Addiction 3 years ago because of target panic and punching the trigger on the Scott. I have found that I shoot much better with the Carter that has a thumb barrel trigger mechanism. This is all I use for hunting.

TEXAS

L-train
06-17-2008, 05:14 PM
I use a hand held release for everything as well. I use a spike head 2 finger from Ideal. I had TP bad with a index finger release.
Pros- silent operation
no parts to fail
cons- not straped to wrist(although the one I shoot now does have a strap)
Not as quick of a shot(if done properly with back ten)though I can still punch one off quick when needed

ICH BIN
06-17-2008, 05:19 PM
I use a Winn free flight glove style. I like it beacuse it makes my wrist, hand, and release feel as one. Plus there is no tension in my fingers, they just hang. I am a puncher though. It is also makes it easy to pull the bow back having the whole release fixed to your hand.

E

dch3k
06-17-2008, 05:27 PM
I was also wondering if the release type has any effect on your draw length.
I say..... yes,for me it does hand held makes it feel longer

TEXAS 10PT
06-17-2008, 05:56 PM
I say..... yes,for me it does hand held makes it feel longer

For some people that go from a wrist release to a hand held it changes their anchor point and that's why it might feel longer. It didn't change for me and it doesn't feel longer either. I don't think I could ever go back to a wrist release.

TEXAS

2xR
06-17-2008, 06:06 PM
I am in the process of changing from a Scott Silver horn (wrist release) to a Stan SX2 (thumb release). I am shooting more accurately with the SX2, but it has been a steep learning/feeling curve...

Maybee-R
06-17-2008, 06:13 PM
I like both. With the B.T. release its slow and surprising.(Targets)Most accurate.
With the trigger its try and control the squeeze.(hunting)

ccasanova
06-17-2008, 06:22 PM
I can't ever find a consistent anchor point with a hand release. I have an old Bear hand release that I keep in my pocket for emergencies and practice with on occasion, but my wrist release gets 90% of the action. I shoot about the same with each.

3drchr
06-17-2008, 07:47 PM
I use a carter Ember for target and hunting. I do most of my shooting at targets, so it feels natural for hunting. I tried a wrist release a while back, and just couldn't get as good of an anchor as the hand held. Plus, being draw length challenged, it adds about an inch over a wrist release.

jabs elite
06-17-2008, 09:47 PM
hand held thumb barrel trigger mechanism. because you don't have any tension on your thumb at full draw.this allows you to squeeze the trigger not punch. try shooting a strap release & then shoot thumb release. you will feel the tension on the top of your four fingers muscles. they are tight this prevents you from a proper shot. try this test you will know which one to shoot. with thumb release back of hand against jaw bone. 2nd part of your question strap release feels longer to most of our customers. most common error in a strap release is when you have to reach forward at full draw to put your finger on release . it should feel short in your hand when relaxed. when you pull bow back it will pull forward when you reach around for trigger your finger should be relaxed & in first joint. not straight. hope this helps

dch3k
06-17-2008, 09:58 PM
you should see my 10 year old daughter punch a thumb release the girl has some serious panic ....we have to work on her...maybe some BT

mlk3454
06-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Back to the draw length question that I forgot to add my .02 for in my first post. Most of the wrist releases out now have adjustable straps and lengths of the nylon/rod for the actual release head so that you can make them fit better to your draw. With a proper adjusted wrist release you shouldn't see any draw change if you switch to a hand held.

dch3k
06-17-2008, 10:08 PM
for me I achor with my thumb at the back of my neck using a wrist strap but when I tried hand held I could achor that way and it brought my hand forward farther I have a short DL as it is so usually there wasnt enough to spare a mere 1/4 inch or so and made it feel longer to me.....I feel I shoot best with the wrist style ...I want to give BT a try again but I never can fully committ to it Im afraid I just cant do it and go back to my trusty wrist strap

Boch
06-18-2008, 12:05 AM
Has anybody tried 1 out yet? They can be used with a strap or strapless,kind of odd looking but feel good in your hands

caseys101
06-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks for all the input. I do have one more question regarding the hand held releases. Do they seem to make the bow any harder or easier to pull back? Thanks again

evworld
06-18-2008, 11:21 AM
For ease of pulling, I would say there is not much difference, maybe the hand held just a tad easier.

My experience with thumb trigger is, I had to find one that had a wide handle. Some thinner models caused my fingers to bother me. I would try other peoples release if they would let you. With the price of some of them you don't want to buy one and find that it is uncomfortable or not to your liking.

dch3k
06-18-2008, 12:11 PM
I can pull 55# with a wrist release but not with a hand held I think the strap helps me pull more but maybe its just me

mlk3454
06-18-2008, 03:47 PM
For me the Winn glove was the easiest to pull back an 80# bow. After bothering the shoulder I dropped to 60-65# draws and they all feel about the same. I would say I prefer the feel of the hand held for the draw over the tension on my hand from the wrist release.