PDA

View Full Version : suprise release

Slugger
07-07-2008, 01:24 PM
so friday morning i was thinking, i better start praticing for this little leauge thingy we got going on now and i need to get my 20yrd pin hitting perfectly in the center instead of 1inch highand left! right? I also decied im gonna try the little springy trigger that came with my scott sabertooth ncs release.
Boy was I suprised . even though i thought i was doing a good job squeezing a suprise release off with the standard peg trigger, I realized after using the spring trigger that I wouldnt have know a surprise release if it had kicked me in the butt. even though i wasnt punching the trigger i was still commanding the release. Kinda makes me thing ive been missing out for a while now.

Ive never considered using a BT before but now im thinking i need to try one.

Chippy (aka Slippy)
07-07-2008, 01:36 PM
so friday morning i was thinking....

There is a first time for everything.

I too have twiddled with the idear of BT, but just not sure I am smart enough to try it. But then again, Creekchub can do it....:haha:

Slugger
07-07-2008, 01:39 PM
the main reason i never tried a BT is I hunt with my bow and any shooting i do is in preparation for deer season and i dont think i will ever use a BT for hunting

Chippy (aka Slippy)
07-07-2008, 01:48 PM
the main reason i never tried a BT is I hunt with my bow and any shooting i do is in preparation for deer season and i dont think i will ever use a BT for hunting

we're the same in that regard I guess. I know guys who shoot both. Shooting a BT won't muck you up for hunting with a trigger. All I know about BT is.....there is a reason why all the good shooters use them.

CATrapper
07-07-2008, 01:57 PM
You can learn to shoot your hunting release using back tension instead of pressing the trigger. It takes practice bit the results are well worth it.

Slugger
07-07-2008, 02:09 PM
You can learn to shoot your hunting release using back tension instead of pressing the trigger. It takes practice bit the results are well worth it.
I tried hooking my finger around the trigger and pulling againts the wall but found that I still had to press the trigger to get a shot.

CATrapper
07-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Have you tried reducing the travel on the trigger? I've had too many accidents with true BT releases and have no confidence in them now.

J3100
07-07-2008, 02:24 PM
I shoot my thumb trigger and index finger release with back tension , but I couldnt well until I used a hinge style release for a month and blind bailing really helped also shooting at dusk when i could just see target but no spots

L-train
07-07-2008, 03:55 PM
I tried hooking my finger around the trigger and pulling againts the wall but found that I still had to press the trigger to get a shot.

You might be shooting a bow with the Draw length to long.

Slugger
07-07-2008, 04:02 PM
I may adust the trigger to be more sensitive and try that since i had it set as hard as it would go so i could squeeze it, mabe if its touchier i can hook it and pull through the shot. but for right now im loving the spring peg!

dch3k
07-07-2008, 05:33 PM
we're the same in that regard I guess. I know guys who shoot both. Shooting a BT won't muck you up for hunting with a trigger. All I know about BT is.....there is a reason why all the good shooters use them.

that my friend is not true....... while ALOT use it not all do there are professional who use trigger and thumb releases too...I think whatever you are most comfy with you should used for some people it really helps them ger over panic...Im a take charge kinda gal dont like the surprise

Chippy (aka Slippy)
07-07-2008, 05:40 PM
my bad, not ALL, just 95%.....:hit_self:

Mike from Texas
07-07-2008, 05:44 PM
I am struggling with a bout of target panic right now. I am still trying to find a release that will give me a true surprise release. I've tried the springy trigger and it works for a little bit but then I find myself just moving my finger in close to the release and negating the effects of the spring. I also have a Chocolate Addiction that the same thing happens. I also have a Carter Backstrap that I am playing with but it seems inconsistent on the amount of additional pull required to fire plus it's a freaking chunck in the hand.

Guess I'm going to have to go back to old school and break out the 4 finger Stan hinge release. That thing scares the crap outta me for the first few outings and I don't have a big back stop to blank bale with. 3130

dch3k
07-07-2008, 05:45 PM
my bad, not ALL, just 95%.....:hit_self:

do you have target panic? or just MOD panic....

LHpuncher
07-07-2008, 06:59 PM
For those of you that wanna try a BT release but are scared of a true BT, try the carter solution series. I like them alot

heaterht
07-07-2008, 07:16 PM
I Don't care who you are or how much you shoot backtension takes dedication and time. There is alot that can be learned in the process. Bye the time you've got it mastered the shot will truthfully no longer be a suprise. Unless you have multiple releases and set them all different. When you execute back tension correctly the release will fire basically in the same time sequence, if it doesn't you did something different in your shot sequence which will lead to inconsistency.
However there are alot of really good command shooters out there that prove that back tension is not necessay to win tournaments.
Dan

Chippy (aka Slippy)
07-08-2008, 08:30 AM
do you have target panic? ..

sometimes...it comes and goes...somedays I am steady, sometime not, when I am having a shakey day, I punch

dch3k
07-08-2008, 09:35 AM
sometimes...it comes and goes...somedays I am steady, sometime not, when I am having a shakey day, I punch
you know you can use your trigger with a BT pull to help too...use your whole arm and back to make the trigger go instead of just your finger ...that helps me

Mike from Texas
07-08-2008, 02:35 PM
you know you can use your trigger with a BT pull to help too...use your whole arm and back to make the trigger go instead of just your finger ...that helps me

I have tried that many times with limited success. I have shortened my releases to where the hook in behind the second knuckle joint but have had limited success with this method. It seems like I pull and pull to the point that I begin shaking. Sometimes it goes off, sometimes I have to just let down or I end up just punching it.

Has anyone tried the Bernie's can't punch release?

creekchub
07-08-2008, 08:00 PM
well as chippy (aka slippy) mentioned i can shoot a BT release but i might add i am a work in progress with it. i may try an evo+ at sometime in the near future. as far as hunting goes i used a tru ball tallon head thumb trigger last yr. and liked it really well. of course i punched it instead of shooting BT.

CATrapper
07-08-2008, 08:19 PM
It takes alot of work to beat target panic but I found that the gimmicks and different releases only delayed my progress instead of helping it. If you punch with a trigger than you will most likely punch with the thumb. A hinge will help you learn what a good release feels like but until you learn to shoot a trigger properly, you will most likely punch it when you switch over.