PDA

View Full Version : Thought I had done it all!

DOAGuide
09-02-2008, 02:30 PM
You know that shirt that says "been there, done that, got the shirt"? Well I think I should have one. If you can screw something up or figure out a way to hurt yourself on accident I have done it. Well I did it again and actually impressed myself with my level of ingenuity (stupidity)

So HuntingChic got her new Fire in the other day. Being the GREAT husband that I am I set the bow up for her so she can shoot it as soon as she gets home. Well while setting the fall away cord I notice that the rest is a bit low at full draw. Like an idiot (while at full draw 62lbs) I twist my hand around to see if it is in the full upright position by pushing up on it with my thumb. Long story short (too late) I have a reverse dry fire. I held onto the string and the riser flew backwards and imbedded the cable rod between my trigger and middle finger right at the point of webbing. Shot straight through to the bone. SOMEHOW, I drove myself to the hospital and what you see is what followed. The pics don't do it justice as you can't see the bone from that angle.

Who gets dumbass of the year???:first:

KARBON
09-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Dude! OUCH....

Best wishes buddy...Dang....

DOAGuide
09-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Yeah went out the next morning and made sure I could still shoot my bow. Hurt like **** (and broke 2 of the stitches) but I can get it done. Nothing stopping me next week.

Slugger
09-02-2008, 02:36 PM
at least the bow should be ok:turkey:

Sorry Dave, I could nt help it,, seriously, Everyday people do stupid things, today you just happend to be one of them.

OK seriously..... hope you get well soon

DOAGuide
09-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Before I even stopped the bleeding I was checking the bow to make sure it was okay. No adverse effects. But my hand does make an incredible string stopper. LMAO!!!!!!!! Sorry......pain killers are kicking in....

Maine Woods
09-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Draw Board. I am glad it is not worse. Take care Buddy. John

StraightArrow
09-02-2008, 02:58 PM
That's gonna leave a mark!!:freak:

dch3k
09-02-2008, 02:59 PM
If ya wanted it pierced you should have just asked me!!!

killemclean
09-02-2008, 03:01 PM
man thats got to be a first.congrats hope this dosent start a new trend.couldve just been hunting chics bow was just so bloodthirsty it had to have a victim?:noidea:dont feel bad ive done stupider,for instance;when i was young,i was putting muzzy heads on at the range for some pre season tuning,had all my arrows sitting on a picnic table just screwed the first ferrule(no blades)onto the first shaft put the arrow head first in my mouth to free my hands to dig in my tackle box the wind blows my arrows start to fall off the table ibend forward to catch my arroiws the nock end of the arrow hits the table bench driving the muzzy into the back of my throatwhere it hung till i could gather myself enough to PULL the muzzy out,i bled like crazy.now tell me thats not the STUPIDIST thing youve ever heard of a guy doing!!!!!!!!:2thunbs:

DOAGuide
09-02-2008, 03:04 PM
man thats got to be a first.congrats hope this dosent start a new trend.couldve just been hunting chics bow was just so bloodthirsty it had to have a victim?:noidea:dont feel bad ive done stupider,for instance;when i was young,i was putting muzzy heads on at the range for some pre season tuning,had all my arrows sitting on a picnic table just screwed the first ferrule(no blades)onto the first shaft put the arrow head first in my mouth to free my hands to dig in my tackle box the wind blows my arrows start to fall off the table ibend forward to catch my arroiws the nock end of the arrow hits the table bench driving the muzzy into the back of my throatwhere it hung till i could gather myself enough to PULL the muzzy out,i bled like crazy.now tell me thats not the STUPIDIST thing youve ever heard of a guy doing!!!!!!!!:2thunbs:

CRAP FIRE AND SAVE THE MATCHES.....I feel better now....:duhclap: J/K

Slugger
09-02-2008, 03:06 PM
:fit:

OMG, that hurts just thinking about it.:fit:

killemclean
09-02-2008, 03:13 PM
glad i could help DOA:2thunbs:

Chippy (aka Slippy)
09-02-2008, 03:25 PM
please tell me you were drinking...heavily...:noidea:

Either way, I'm glad you weren't hurt bad.

Did you cry?

MoBuzzCut
09-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Before I even stopped the bleeding I was checking the bow to make sure it was okay. No adverse effects. But my hand does make an incredible string stopper. LMAO!!!!!!!! Sorry......pain killers are kicking in....
What DOA are you trying to invent a new string stopper :jaw: J/K
Glad you are alright.

StraightArrow
09-02-2008, 03:55 PM
killemclean....do tell me you have photos of that...?????????

killemclean
09-02-2008, 04:50 PM
oh no are you kidding me,i buried my head in the sand for a week,i couldnt even bring myself to go to the ER,as my stitches in my finger and thumb hadent even come out yet,you see a few days earlier i had a little mishap with another muzzy that left me with 21 stitches in my thumb and fore finger on my left hand,still cant feel the tip of my finger ,its been 16 years or so,havent shot a fixed blade since,well till i shot a slick trick this season.any way i stay away from MUZZYS oh and electricty.:2thunbs:

predatorboy13
09-02-2008, 05:04 PM
lol!!!dad you are so stupid. i dont even think i could pull that one off. haha

Rattler
09-02-2008, 05:35 PM
ding ding ding...we have a winner! :D

shootstraight
09-02-2008, 05:44 PM
I feel quite a bit smarter now that I've read this thread, and thanks for the laugh.

DOAGuide
09-02-2008, 05:47 PM
WOW.......Slammed by my own son....:mooner:

TX Rattlesnake
09-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Man, that had to hurt. Hope you get to feeling better so you can hunt.

archer58inPA
09-02-2008, 06:40 PM
I'd make light of your injury but it looks too painful.
At least you got some good pain meds.
Is your finger covered under warranty??:scratchhead:

Sorry, I had to.

Ringtail
09-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Dave, how bad has it swelled up.....man I hope that did not ruin your elk hunting.

3drchr
09-02-2008, 07:05 PM

repeat 3 times
"I am sofa king, we Todd did"

JK, I've seen things worse than that being on the rescue squad the last 10 years. I will learn from your mishap and not do that myself:thanks:

Dave Nowlin
09-02-2008, 07:12 PM
In the future, anytime I do something dumb, I will think back on this post and instantly be made to feel better. I thought I had done some dumb things in my long life, but they don't come even close to you guys antics. DOA you should do a cartoon about hunting and include some of your adventures, opps missadventures. You just might become filthy rich.

Dave Nowlin

Maybee-R
09-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Sorry to see your hand DOA. I hope it heals quick.

DTAJR
09-02-2008, 07:33 PM
It's funny to hear some of the mishaps. We all do stupid things but not all them break the skin. Hope you get feeling better.

DOAGuide
09-02-2008, 07:35 PM
It looked like a softball for the rest of the day but has gotten better since. I will be fine by Saturday.

vhunter
09-02-2008, 08:00 PM
There goes half of your you know what life. So hows the typing with one hand going? Ah ya your use to it.

Seriously didn't somebody get killed awhile back almost the same way. The cable rod stuck him in the head.

wassaw
09-02-2008, 08:41 PM
That adds a new meaning to the phrase " bet that hurt like fire". that is a worry of mine when letting a bow down, but not in that direction. Heal quick! and when you do get your deer, wear some latex gloves, don't want you catching "hoof & mouth disease". LOL :)

CamG
09-02-2008, 11:00 PM
OH NO!!! You got lucky!

I was in a sporting goods shop years ago, and some young fella was in. He pulled back a Mathews Q2, and on the let down, he did the exact same thing. Only the outcome was much, much worse! He tore all kinds of ligaments, and tendons requiring a major hand surgery, and left him layed up for 6 months.

How you gonna blow calls in the shape you're in?

DOAGuide
09-03-2008, 01:11 AM
I'm too stuborn to let something small like this shut me down. I already have over 40 days booked in the duck and goose blinds this year. Plus we leave for Elk on Saturday for 9 days. Then a couple predator hunts to film, a mule deer hunt, then the duck and goose opener, then trapping......AND there is a possibility a good friend and I may be PHing in Africa next spring. Busy busy busy. And that goose call freakin rocks Cam. Any of you looking for an awesome duck or goose call should give Cam a shout. TOP NOTCH!

Archery-Addiction
09-03-2008, 01:26 AM
Glad to see your alright bud, I have heard of many reverse dry fires that do much more damage.

Ringtail
09-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Dave, either your tough as nails or you got some really good pain killers.....

DOAGuide
09-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Dave, either your tough as nails or you got some really good pain killers.....

Or both:jaw:

Maybee-R
09-03-2008, 07:27 PM
With V's permission, From this day forward You will be known as "Knuckle buster":tape2:
Sorry couldnt pass it up!

Takeum
09-03-2008, 07:53 PM
WOW>.. THat's gotta hurt..... I actually watched my buddy lastnight at Sportsmans while tuning a bow,,, stick his hand inbewteen a customers bow and string that was at full draw and made my stomach sick to think what could have happened... I wouldn't do that on a bet,, for anyone at anytime.. Hope your hand heals soon.. If you need someone to fill that elk tag.. Let me know.. :spank:

trophyhuntin01
09-03-2008, 09:33 PM
sorry to here about your hand man but if it makes you feel any better i saw a kid do the exact same thing on a mathews except it went thru his lip and took out 4 teeth. Just a lil hint if the surface gets sensitive around the stitches my doc told me to put that oragel numbing stuff on it, except mine was on the tip of my release finger.

Hunting Chic
09-03-2008, 09:57 PM
WOW!! I cant believe you guy's feel sorry for DOA. He is not hurt that bad. His cut is alot smaller then it looks. He almost started crying when i met him at the hospital. He is fine and will be ready for our hunt.

Ringtail
09-03-2008, 09:59 PM
wow, Ang you really :slap: him in shape don't you....

ProLine
09-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Not gonna lie, I have a weak stomach.... I just about threw up when I saw those pics... ewww