PDA

View Full Version : My sons first time hunting.

vhunter
10-13-2008, 06:21 AM
Well I got a chance to take my 8 year old son out with me hunting last night. First time he's been out with me, It's all he could talk about all weekend. Well lets just so that my son is a little hyper, he normally can't sit still for more than 5 min. So I that plus the fact that it was 80 degrees out, had me thinking that we would be lucky to see any deer. So we get in our double ladder stand about 5:00. I didn't want him sitting to long. 5 min into the hunt he asked me where all the deer were at. I gave him my binoculars and told him to look around. We had a great time every little movement and noise was a deer to him. We saw lots of birds and squirrels. He was asking me a ton of question. Dad what was that noise, what kind of bird was that, etc. He was really into it, which I loved to see.

About 6:00 I see some movement off to my right. Turns out to be a flock of turkey. They slowly worked there way by us. I could see the look on my sons face that he was very exited. So it's starting to get dark, about 7:00 and I tell my son we have about 15 min left before it's to dark to shoot. I look over at him and he's praying, I asked him what he's praying for. He says he's praying to see a deer. Just then we here something coming from the corn. He looks at me and says dad deer. Coming from his side a doe comes trotting by us. Its stops about 20 yard in front of us but I can't get a shoot, all I can see is it's head. It new something was going on, and it took off in front of us in a swamp. I grunt and it stops about 40 yards away. I already had my bow pulled back, but she was facing strait away from my. I grunt again and she turns giving me a quartering away shot. I let the arrow fly. At the shoot the deer spun and i thought I saw my arrow hit a little further back than intended. I look over at my son and he is shaking and smiling from ear to ear. It was kind of like looking in a mirror. We waited about 30 min and climbed down. I walked over to where I had shot at the deer and at first I couldn't find any blood. Then I see it a drop of blood. Then I see lots of blood. So we start tracking it. Great blood trail, I know the deer didn't go far. About 50 yard later there is mine and my sons doe laying there dead. The arrow actually went in from the rear end of the deer and went strait up in hitting the lungs and heart. Not one of my best shots, but it did the job.

It wasn't a huge buck, but it is by far the best deer I have ever shot.And I think my son may be hooked now. I was very proud of him, he did a great job of being quit and sitting still. I didn't have my camera on me at the time. But my brother took some pics. I'll post them when I get them.

Scablands
10-13-2008, 07:28 AM
Congratulations, sound like you may have a hunting partner for life. :shakehands:

Daniel Boone
10-13-2008, 07:36 AM
My son was with me. Thrill for sure. Memorys for alifetime for sure.

DB

Zwickey
10-13-2008, 08:17 AM
Awesome, mine is now 3, cant wait.

Slugger
10-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Thats awsome V, congrats Great story , thanks for sharing

DustyRx
10-13-2008, 04:12 PM
That's a trophy right there!!

vhunter
10-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Not the best pic, but it's what I got. My son wrote a story about it today at school. And yes we are both wearing elite hats.
http://us.mg201.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f129648%5fAMBWv9EAAWgUSPPL%2fwfhlE y3UqI&pid=1.2&fid=Inbox&inline=1

archer58inPA
10-13-2008, 07:38 PM
That's a great story Dan.
You should be proud of your son and yourself.
To be able to harvest a deer for him is awesome.
I hope I can take my son and daughter soon.
Your story really warmed my insides.
Congrats buddy. Keep up the good work.

GTO63
10-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Awesome story! Congrats to the both of you, Brings back memories from when my son shot his first deer 14 years ago.
Something you never will forget!

Maybee-R
10-13-2008, 08:13 PM
What a cool story. Congrats on a very successful hunt.

vhunter
10-15-2008, 06:01 PM
ttt..............

rcates
10-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Great story! Made me smile. Sounds like you are teaching him well.

Lookin 4 PnY
10-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Awesome story. I felt like I was sitting with you guys! My 3 1/2 daughter is hopefully going to join me in the spring for a turkey hunt. I already tear up thinking of her taking her first deer!

TxHunter
10-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Great story. He is gonna be hooked for sure. I bet he can't wait until it's his turn to let the arrow fly. Good job. :)

vhunter
10-16-2008, 04:26 PM
2 more years and he can hunt. When he gets he's first deer it will be an awesome day. I have a nephew that got his first buck last year. A ten point bigger than anything I have ever shot. He reminds me of that every time I see him.

MiBowfisher
10-16-2008, 05:37 PM
What an awesome story! Congrats to you on the quick recovery, and especially for bringing the little guy out with you!

Hunting Chic
10-16-2008, 05:57 PM
That is a great story!! Congrats

lewie62
10-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Man, thats awesome! Nuthin' like a son to a dad, especially he if he shares your passions! Take him as often as you can, they grow up fast!:violin:

lonehara
10-18-2008, 02:54 PM
When you have the next generation with you it just doesn't get any better than that.:2thunbs: