PDA

View Full Version : Mental side of archery

Daniel Boone
11-20-2008, 07:42 AM
What percentage do you think the Mental part of archery plays?

Im saying 90% of archery is mental. Trying to shoot a 300 60X indoors has been one of the toughest things in sports I have been trying achieve.

I did reach one goal last year in Texas. Perfect round in a major 3d pro am. Shot 210 with no eights or fives. It will be something Ill use to gain convidence again this year.

I use indoor to build my mental game for 3d in the fall months.

I have compeated in sports my entire life. Was a weightlifter for many years. Mental part took a few years there to win but eventually lifting in a major event became second nature. I achieved my goals there and won a World title.

My coach says you got to get that exsperiance compeating on the top level. You cannot practice tournament pressure.
DB

Belicoso
11-20-2008, 08:17 AM
This is a good one.
I think I read somewhere that in most sports 70 % is training and only 30 % talent.How much the mental aspect of it includes??
I guess the 90 % arenīt to much off, just think about why people have target panic, doesnīt come from your muscles it reflects something from in between your ears.

ProLine
11-20-2008, 01:50 PM
I have to say its what you put it at...
Depends on alot of factors...
Equipment, form...and also your mental capacity for the tough mental game.

Some shoot crazy good, and they say "I don't know, I just fling the arrow"
Others tell you how mentally tough it is and what they think during the shot...

The one just flinging arrows, has not had to train his mind to be sub concious. Its there...
The one that has to think a full routine, yep 90% of his shot,,,,is probally mental...

The less mental that you can use during the shot, the better....because its our crazy minds that deter that arrow, not the bow...
Is there mental challenge to get to the subconcious aspects, absolutely... But I believe that is before the shot, not during the shot...

Just my thoughts

tim doll
11-20-2008, 02:30 PM
For me, I try not to think about it at all, I just react to the situation. I have seen numerous guys/gals, that can shoot 3D and do very well but put in a hunting scenario with an elk or deer at 20 yards or closer they totally blow it..and I know your talking about tournaments and such but I don't have that opportunity where I live..... just my .02

michaelpierce40
11-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Shooting archery for everyone is different. We all want to win a world championship or olympics or vegas-very few want to make the commitment it takes to do so. The bow and the shooter must work as one. The mental part of archery does not exist if the shot and the form is not consistant. Shooting a deer for some is as difficult as shooting that last spot needed for a 300. Any doubt in the form or the equipment and the mental game falls apart. that said I believe archery is 50% mental 50% form and 50% equipment.:first: