X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My sons first time hunting.

Well I got a chance to take my 8 year old son out with me hunting last night. First time he's been out with me, It's all he could talk about all weekend. Well lets just so that my son is a little hyper, he normally can't sit still for more than 5 min. So I that plus the fact that it was 80 degrees out, had me thinking that we would be lucky to see any deer. So we get in our double ladder stand about 5:00. I didn't want him sitting to long. 5 min into the hunt he asked me where all the deer were at. I gave him my binoculars and told him to look around. We had a great time every little movement and noise was a deer to him. We saw lots of birds and squirrels. He was asking me a ton of question. Dad what was that noise, what kind of bird was that, etc. He was really into it, which I loved to see.

About 6:00 I see some movement off to my right. Turns out to be a flock of turkey. They slowly worked there way by us. I could see the look on my sons face that he was very exited. So it's starting to get dark, about 7:00 and I tell my son we have about 15 min left before it's to dark to shoot. I look over at him and he's praying, I asked him what he's praying for. He says he's praying to see a deer. Just then we here something coming from the corn. He looks at me and says dad deer. Coming from his side a doe comes trotting by us. Its stops about 20 yard in front of us but I can't get a shoot, all I can see is it's head. It new something was going on, and it took off in front of us in a swamp. I grunt and it stops about 40 yards away. I already had my bow pulled back, but she was facing strait away from my. I grunt again and she turns giving me a quartering away shot. I let the arrow fly. At the shoot the deer spun and i thought I saw my arrow hit a little further back than intended. I look over at my son and he is shaking and smiling from ear to ear. It was kind of like looking in a mirror. We waited about 30 min and climbed down. I walked over to where I had shot at the deer and at first I couldn't find any blood. Then I see it a drop of blood. Then I see lots of blood. So we start tracking it. Great blood trail, I know the deer didn't go far. About 50 yard later there is mine and my sons doe laying there dead. The arrow actually went in from the rear end of the deer and went strait up in hitting the lungs and heart. Not one of my best shots, but it did the job.

It wasn't a huge buck, but it is by far the best deer I have ever shot.And I think my son may be hooked now. I was very proud of him, he did a great job of being quit and sitting still. I didn't have my camera on me at the time. But my brother took some pics. I'll post them when I get them.
    Last edited by vhunter; 10-13-2008, 12:00 PM.
    -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Congratulations, sound like you may have a hunting partner for life.
    Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not
    me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've
    traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Comment

My first good buck

My son was with me. Thrill for sure. Memorys for alifetime for sure.

DB
      OK-Archery DST 40, 09 Elite Z28, Vortex binos 15X50 Vipers , Carter releases, Trophy Taker rests, Vapor Trail strings, Custom Bow Equipment sights, Goldtip arrows. B Stinger Stabilizers. Slick Tricks

Comment

Awesome, mine is now 3, cant wait.

Comment

Thats awsome V, congrats Great story , thanks for sharing
          Elite GTO

"These days man knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

Comment

That's a trophy right there!!

Comment

Not the best pic, but it's what I got. My son wrote a story about it today at school. And yes we are both wearing elite hats.
              -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Comment

That's a great story Dan.
                You should be proud of your son and yourself.
                To be able to harvest a deer for him is awesome.
                I hope I can take my son and daughter soon.
                Your story really warmed my insides.
                Congrats buddy. Keep up the good work.
                2014 E32
                2011 PULSE AP
                TUNER OF BOWS BY LONG DISTANCE
                Member of the JURY MEMBER OF THE LEFTY BROTHERHOOD

"If it ain't broke , I can MAKE it better".
                Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Comment

Awesome story! Congrats to the both of you, Brings back memories from when my son shot his first deer 14 years ago.
                  Something you never will forget!

Elite team
                  Stokerized stabilizer
                  Sword Centurion Sight
                  Code Red arrow rest
                  Elite Answer ++++
                  RIDGERUNNER SLINGS

Comment

What a cool story. Congrats on a very successful hunt.
                    No ifs and or buts Just maybee.

Comment

ttt..............

Comment

Great story! Made me smile. Sounds like you are teaching him well.
                        08 Elite Synergy Xtreme, 29.5" @ 65#
                        Kansas bowhunter

Comment

Awesome story. I felt like I was sitting with you guys! My 3 1/2 daughter is hopefully going to join me in the spring for a turkey hunt. I already tear up thinking of her taking her first deer!
                          "Mauled" 08.5 Limited Edition TA Z28
                          29.5/70 331fps
                          Limbdriver
                          Victory V-ForceHV 300 / Pathfinder Custom Wraps
                          Center Circle Custom Strings

Comment

Great story. He is gonna be hooked for sure. I bet he can't wait until it's his turn to let the arrow fly. Good job.
                            Elite GTO

Comment

2 more years and he can hunt. When he gets he's first deer it will be an awesome day. I have a nephew that got his first buck last year. A ten point bigger than anything I have ever shot. He reminds me of that every time I see him.

Comment

Working...
                              X