Homemade Deer Feed Blocks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Deer Feed Blocks?

I've been puting out Purina's Deer Feed Blocks and the deer love them but around here they are $15 a pop. I would like to try making my own and was wondering if anyone else has. Any good recipes?

Add Peanut Butter and honey to what ever you come up with...They love it...

you can also make a dripper can for it,set it up over your Deer block and it will drip over top of it...Cut small holes in the bottom and a vent hole in the top,use some wire to hang it...Coffee cans work good for 6lbs of PB to 32 oz. of Clover honey...
    Magnified Fur
    "To become a bow hunter,you must become a archer first"
    Ole Faithful
    Carbon 4-Runner Pro /
    75# 28' / Hogg-It 5 pin 4 X lens / Drop Tine WB / The straightest thing in the woods is my arrow .001
    Gold Tip pro's

Comment

I found it was easier to buy a feeder. thye eat the blocks on my place in 2 days, Sometimes 24 hours. So even a small 5 gal. feeder with a timer comes out cheaper

Comment

I bet you have alot more than Deer eating off of it...Coons,squirrel,Opossum,Chipmunks,if its in the woods it is eating from it...They all love a easy meal...

If you want to keep using the blocks you can make a metal stand for it that the other animals cannot climb,it should help but it wont keep everything off of it...
        Magnified Fur
        "To become a bow hunter,you must become a archer first"
        Ole Faithful
        Carbon 4-Runner Pro /
        75# 28' / Hogg-It 5 pin 4 X lens / Drop Tine WB / The straightest thing in the woods is my arrow .001
        Gold Tip pro's

Comment

I'm about to make my 1st deer lick block. I got molasses, honey, peanut butter, bread and tomorrow I'm going to stop at the feed store and buy some cracked corn, oats and sheep pellets. I found a lot of recipes on the internet by searching "how to make deer blocks" that's how I found this forum thread.

Comment

I use a long masonry bit to drill through the deer blocks and put a threaded rod with a large washer and nut on the bottom and a threaded eye on the top. I hang them from a tree limb and they last for quite awhile. If I put them on the ground, they would be gone overnight.
            Syn XT
            Z28
            Rev'd E500
            For we walk not by sight but by faith

Comment

Tractor supply has 50lb mineral blocks for $6.50 each Just pour some buck jam on top and they will come back until it's gone. lasts a long time!!
              "Aim small miss small"

2013 Pure 70lb Blk/Max1 Limbs
              2012 Pure 70lb Blk/ 2013 Black AP Limbs

CBE Tek Hybrid 5 pin sight
              Exxus Core, Exxus, SX-2, Silverhorn Releases
              Solids, DRT's, Deep six, axis and DCA Hunters 300
              Past Elites
              2008 XXL
              2010XLR
              2010 GT500
              2011 Pure AP
              2011 Pure Max1