Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattled in 3 tonight...Story inside...

I went to my Hot spot...It has been pretty warm and I thought I would try to rattle and see what happened...Well I got set-up and let the sun drop...Before I even hit the horns together I seen a young 8 point come out of a creek bed and up into the field about 200 yards away...I said well,Ill give the horns a try and see what happens...About 10 minutes later he was coming in on the trail i cut with the dozer...He came in to about 35 yards and hung out for a while...Had his tail sticking in the air and about half bent...He ended up going back the same way he came and walked back towards the creek bed...I noticed more movement to the north,yea there he was a nice 8 point with a nice kicker off of his right G-2...He was downwind of the smaller buck and went half way of the trail I cut,way to far for a shot...He followed him into the woods and about 5 minutes later I heard their horns crash together,it did not last long,about 2 good clashes and it was over...Well that got a different buck headed that direction,I heard him breaking limbs etc walking that way rather fast,I did not know how to get a look at this buck so I hit my horns together really hard and started making noise with my feet against the small brush...He turned and headed my way,he walked around the edge of the woods to my right as he had the wind in his face...I had some Tarsal gland out on the ground nearby ...I guess he was smelling it and it did not scare him off...Another 8 pops out of the woods to my right and about 60 yards south of me...He is pretty nice,he is the one I shot at when my rest was broke...

I never got a shot off tonight but man the 8 with the kicker was ticked off that another Buck was in his area...His hair was standing and his ears were back as he walked towards the smaller deer from the scent he left behind...It took about 20 minutes for this to unfold...

Tomorrow I am headed to his set of woods and I am taking some young buck urine with me...He was on a bead to that young buck...I tried to rattle him towards me but his nose was on the ground after the smaller buck...I am glad I got some action tonight,been a tuff week...It was very exciting to watch,I am glad I went tonight,,,I almost stayed home because of the heat...

First Buck movement I have seen since saturday morning...
    Magnified Fur
    "To become a bow hunter,you must become a archer first"
    Ole Faithful
    Carbon 4-Runner Pro /
    75# 28' / Hogg-It 5 pin 4 X lens / Drop Tine WB / The straightest thing in the woods is my arrow .001
    Gold Tip pro's

Sounds awesome.
    I had my own very first rattling encounter last Sunday night. I hadn't ever rattled before and I really did not expect it to work, but I crashed the antlers together and hit two low grunt calls then continued to rattle. I waited for a minute and looked around in my tree before I finally noticed a large eight point staring right at me in my tree. He did not seem quite scared, but he did not like what he saw I suppose and turned and walked down a fence line about 45 yards out. I was so impressed with myself!
    Proud Member of the Texas Boys

Comment

Glad you got somthing going James. sounds like an exciting hunt. Good luck
      Elite GTO

"These days man knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

Comment

Yea it was pretty cool to see it unfold...Went this morning and I seen Nadda...Putting up another stand today for the "tree saddle",I found another spot they are crossing the creek...

This weekend should be smokin...Tomorrow morning should be a good start,AM rain and cooler temps...I will be thinking about you Jesse when I am in stand...You think about me next week when my arse is stuck at work LOL...
        Magnified Fur
        Ole Faithful
        Carbon 4-Runner Pro /
        75# 28' / Hogg-It 5 pin 4 X lens / Drop Tine WB / The straightest thing in the woods is my arrow .001
        Gold Tip pro's

Comment

LOL will do
          Elite GTO

"These days man knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

Comment

Sounds fun!
            I dont hunt whiteys that much, I did grunt one in once that was chasin a doe, and that was really cool.
            good luck

Comment

I have never had luck with rattling horns is there a spacific time duruing the rut thats better for rattling.
              07 Elite Synergy
              08 Elite Synergy XT
              08 Elite XTREME-XL

Comment

I think when they start laying Scrape lines is a good time...That is their territory and they do not like other Bucks intruding...It is also good to know about how many other bucks are around...I have about 5 on the property,2 bigger ones and 3 younger...

Last night I went to the same spot and trailed some Dominant buck urine up and down the trail I cut...I did not want to rattle,I just waited to see what happened...We'll he did not come out of the woods but I heard him grunt 3 or 4 times,I forgot my grunt call at home like a fool...A younger buck came in and smelled my trail,he went to the other side of it and walked in very nervous...I let him pass on through...It was warm last night,he was not wanting to move out of his bedding area..Tonight should be different,the cold front is here and temps already dropped 20 degree's....
                Magnified Fur
                Ole Faithful
                Carbon 4-Runner Pro /
                Gold Tip pro's

Comment

good luck tonight James
                  Elite GTO

Comment

Thanks bro,you gonna make it to the woods tonight?
                    Magnified Fur
                    Ole Faithful
                    Carbon 4-Runner Pro /
                    Gold Tip pro's

Comment

not tonight, dont get off work until 5. gotta work till noon tomorrow, wont make it out until Sunday morn.
                      Elite GTO

Comment

Working...
                      X