Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holding weight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Holding weight

    I went to 60lbs on my XLR and it paid off. Hit 300 55X last night on XLR. Just wasnt getting there with 50lbs. Nathan Brooks and some say they cant shoot the low poundage indoors or out. Im begginning to understand.

    Whats everyone shooting on there Elites?

    I was hoping to shoot low poundage to help my arthitus in my shoulders.
    OK-Archery DST 40, 09 Elite Z28, Vortex binos 15X50 Vipers , Carter releases, Trophy Taker rests, Vapor Trail strings, Custom Bow Equipment sights, Goldtip arrows. B Stinger Stabilizers. Slick Tricks

  • #2
    with the solid back wall elites have I just dont understand what upping the poundage can change???? seems to me you could pull as hard as you want on the back wall.

    then again ive never shot anything other than a 70 lb bow maxed out.

    DB, cant you adj. cam rotation and drawstop settings to get a lower let off at 50 lbs rather than put your shoulder through the ringer at 60?
    Elite GTO



    "These days man knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Slugger View Post
      with the solid back wall elites have I just dont understand what upping the poundage can change???? seems to me you could pull as hard as you want on the back wall.

      then again ive never shot anything other than a 70 lb bow maxed out.

      DB, cant you adj. cam rotation and drawstop settings to get a lower let off at 50 lbs rather than put your shoulder through the ringer at 60?
      As far as solid back wall goes, yes these elites are very solid. But as far as just pulling into them as hard as you can is not the same as poundage pulling against your release. Plus the harder you pull against the stops the more movement you will get from your pin. You can pull off target by using this technique really easy.
      As far as let off goes I did just that on my XLR and got the holding weight and length of valley where I wanted it and was able to turn the bow down from 59 to 57 lbs.
      Dan
      RICHARDSON'S TAXIDERMY
      Pro Elite
      XXL

      Comment


      • #4
        DB you can adjust holding weight

        You can get more holding weight and keep drawlength and valley the same.
        You can do it a couple different ways. If you want to keep the drawlength the same as it is then just moving the stops will shorten it. What I did was take 3 twist out of the string and add 1 twist to each cable. That lengthened my draw by around 1/8 in. I then moved the stops forward which shortened the draw, valley, and lowered the letoff and which increased holding weight.
        Another option is to go to the next cam size of 29in. Move the stops forward until you get letoff where you want it. You may need to put around 4 twist in the strings to shorten the draw lenth just a little.
        Either of these will get the holding weight where you want it w/ out having to shoot 60lbs.
        Dan
        RICHARDSON'S TAXIDERMY
        Pro Elite
        XXL

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by heaterht View Post
          You can get more holding weight and keep drawlength and valley the same.
          You can do it a couple different ways. If you want to keep the drawlength the same as it is then just moving the stops will shorten it. What I did was take 3 twist out of the string and add 1 twist to each cable. That lengthened my draw by around 1/8 in. I then moved the stops forward which shortened the draw, valley, and lowered the letoff and which increased holding weight.
          Another option is to go to the next cam size of 29in. Move the stops forward until you get letoff where you want it. You may need to put around 4 twist in the strings to shorten the draw lenth just a little.
          Either of these will get the holding weight where you want it w/ out having to shoot 60lbs.
          Dan
          Great info right there ..
          RACKMASTERS OUTDOORS
          AREA 5150 BOWFISHING

          CCS BOWSTRINGS

          Comment


          • #6
            Interesting

            Originally posted by heaterht View Post
            You can get more holding weight and keep drawlength and valley the same.
            You can do it a couple different ways. If you want to keep the drawlength the same as it is then just moving the stops will shorten it. What I did was take 3 twist out of the string and add 1 twist to each cable. That lengthened my draw by around 1/8 in. I then moved the stops forward which shortened the draw, valley, and lowered the letoff and which increased holding weight.
            Another option is to go to the next cam size of 29in. Move the stops forward until you get letoff where you want it. You may need to put around 4 twist in the strings to shorten the draw lenth just a little.
            Either of these will get the holding weight where you want it w/ out having to shoot 60lbs.
            Dan

            But dont you shorten the valley on these cams doing that. My cuda cams dont have hardly any valley at all. You best not creep. I think its going to be OK. I have not played enough with the strings and draw stop. Got a new string coming might try this and do some playing around with it. I need to get a digital scale first.
            DB
            DB
            OK-Archery DST 40, 09 Elite Z28, Vortex binos 15X50 Vipers , Carter releases, Trophy Taker rests, Vapor Trail strings, Custom Bow Equipment sights, Goldtip arrows. B Stinger Stabilizers. Slick Tricks

            Comment


            • #7
              Yes moving the stops shortens the valley. Maybe the second option of going to the 29 in reg rev cam will help you out more. I know the valley on mine was actually very long and I had to shorten my stops to get rid of most of the valley. I know what you mean about a super short valley. My GTO was that way when I had the stops set to far forward. I don't have any experience w those cuda cams to be able to help you out.
              Dan
              RICHARDSON'S TAXIDERMY
              Pro Elite
              XXL

              Comment


              • #8
                Bottomline

                Originally posted by heaterht View Post
                Yes moving the stops shortens the valley. Maybe the second option of going to the 29 in reg rev cam will help you out more. I know the valley on mine was actually very long and I had to shorten my stops to get rid of most of the valley. I know what you mean about a super short valley. My GTO was that way when I had the stops set to far forward. I don't have any experience w those cuda cams to be able to help you out.
                Dan

                Bow shot great. Quess the shoulder will just have to be sore.

                Its just indoor shooting 60 arrows that its a promblem.

                Thanks for the advise.
                DB
                OK-Archery DST 40, 09 Elite Z28, Vortex binos 15X50 Vipers , Carter releases, Trophy Taker rests, Vapor Trail strings, Custom Bow Equipment sights, Goldtip arrows. B Stinger Stabilizers. Slick Tricks

                Comment


                • #9
                  Seems holding more weight on the letoff helped my scores last time i shot. and a little flatter shooting helped as well.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X