Competition Archery for Dummies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competition Archery for Dummies

Could someone fully explain the different avenues of competitive archery to me in dummy terms....I understand distance and 3D, but all the others....

Like FITA, Vegas Shoot, NFAA, Field, 5 spot....and so on....what are the requirements, target types, number of shots, distances, etc....

Thanks,
    Kevin

NFAA (5 spot) - Shot indoors using the NFAA 5 spot target. 20 yards is the distance. This target has 5 bullseyes that are blue and white. A game has 12 ends of 5 arrows each for a total of 60 arrows shot. The white center of the target is worth 5 points and the blue is worth 4. Max score per end is 25. A perfect score is a 300. There is an X ring in the center. It is used for tie breaking. A perfect game would be a 300 with 60 Xs. This is what is shot at the Louisville, Ky indoor nationals.

Vegas (3 spot) - Shot indoors using the Vegas 3 spot target. 20 yards is the distance. The target has 3 bullseyes that are yellow, red and blue. A game has 10 ends of three arrows for a total of 30 arrows shot. The center ring (which also contains an "x" ring) is worth 10 points. Each ring away from the center is worth one less down to 6 for the blue ring. Max score per end is 30. A perfect score is 300. The 'X" ring in the center is used for tie breaking. A perfect game would be a 300 with 30 Xs. This target is used at the Las Vegas indoor nationals.

Field - Field archery is similiar to 3D in that it is shot outdoors at varying distances. In field, however, distances are known. There are 4 different games within field archery. They vary in distances shot, number of targets shot, types of targets shot. Most games are shot at bullseye targets, there is an animal round shot at paper animal targets. A full round consists of 28 tartets and you shoot 4 arrows at each target for a total of 112 arrows. There is a possible 20 points per target and a 560 is a perfect score. Field archery has shots out to 80 yards. It is an excellent way to focus on your shooting withou having to judge yardage.

Here it their website if you want to look at the different games and other rules. http://www.fieldarchery.com/field/info.cfm

You're on your own with FITA. All I'm sure of is that it is an international format. Here is their website.. http://www.archery.org/
    Owner of:

Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Comment

Here is a vegas target.
      Owner of:

Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Comment

Originally posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
        Here is a vegas target.
        18 meters is what the vegas target it shot at. 20 yards is pretty close though.
        No ifs and or buts Just maybee.

Comment

FITA: 12 dozen arrows shot with timing control. 10 zone scoring, X's used as tie breaker

3 dozen shot at 90m on a 122cm face in ends of 6 arrows (4 minutes to shoot).

3 dozen shot at 70m on a 122cm face in ends of 6 arrows (4 minutes to shoot).

3 dozen shot at 50m on an 80cm face in ends of 3 arrows (2 minutes to shoot).

3 dozen shot at 30m on an 80cm face in ends of 6 arrows (4 minutes to shoot).

Maximum score 1440

Current Gents record I believe stands at 1420!

For Ladies FITA the first 2 distances are 70m and 60m
          '09 Ninja XLR 28.25" 57#, Fuse 30" Blade and 12" Blade side rod.
          '07 Synergy 28.25".
          '06 Energy with Rev Cam.

Comment

Originally posted by Maybee-R View Post
            18 meters is what the vegas target it shot at. 20 yards is pretty close though.
            What is a meter?
            Owner of:

Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Comment

Originally posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
              What is a meter?
              Just under a yard. why did I misspell it also? Its all foreign to me. LOL!

Comment

Actually just over a yard (39.37 inches)
                '09 Ninja XLR 28.25" 57#, Fuse 30" Blade and 12" Blade side rod.
                '07 Synergy 28.25".
                '06 Energy with Rev Cam.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Whale View Post
                  Actually just over a yard (39.37 inches)
                  yes my bad. I was thinking 18 meters is just under 20 yards.

Comment

Nope.....it's spelled right. Just that most people call it 20 yards. But we're hillbillies around here....

Believe me.....I personally know what a meter is.......I humped many a kilometer during my play time in the Army....
                    Owner of:

Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Comment

18 M is about 9" shy of 20 yards...
                      Dont forget the v-formation and the imperial round.
                      V-formation =3 shots at each of 20-65 yards in 5 yard increments.
                      Usually shot twice. shot at a vegas/fita face. of varing sizes.

Imperial round is 6 shots at 60 yds each end for 5 ends, then 50 yds, then 40 yards,
                      MY GT500 bow is named NockCracker. my Hunting rig a GT-500 60# 29" G1 Camo, Spot-hogg 5 pin , Limb driver, B-stinger 12" 11 oz, GTul 400's ,295 FPS- 350- Gr or "Stealth" My Camo XLR 29" 54# Spot bow officially out of shake down testing..PASSED!! shot my first 300 VEGAS BABY and my 2nd in the same day..

Comment

Competitive Archery Quiver Survey for College Class on Innovation

I am a student attending the University of Central Missouri. We are currently researching trends and innovative solutions for quivers. If you have a chance, please take our survey through the link shown here to provide your input on quiver designs and desired specifications and accessories for future quivers. Thank you!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XRTNRBL

Comment

Working...
                        X