X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carter Releases

Does anyone use a Carter Backstrap for hunting? I just traded a case for one and was wandering. I'm new to the back tension releases and appreciate your input!

Thanks,
    Semper Fidelis,
    David Miller
    GySgt USMC
    Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.

Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Originally posted by Marine Hunter View Post
    Does anyone use a Carter Backstrap for hunting? I just traded a case for one and was wandering. I'm new to the back tension releases and appreciate your input!

Thanks,
    Marine hunter, I don't use the backstrap, but I do use the Loesch trubacktension release for hunting. This release works on the same principle as the backstrap.
    I have never had any problems shooting deer with it. SEE AVITAR
    Life should be measured by how many selfless acts of kindness someone does to positively influence somebody else's life.

Gt500,Bodoodle,Bstinger,
    Easton fatboys, 28" DL, 53lbs

Comment

If you have TP in any form this type of release will help alot. It help me thru a severe case of TP. It will take alittle time to get use to it. Measure your holding wieght & set the backstrap to go off between 1 &2 pounds heavier . You will shoot better. The first time might scare you when it goes off. No more punchamatic.
      Life should be measured by how many selfless acts of kindness someone does to positively influence somebody else's life.

Gt500,Bodoodle,Bstinger,

Comment

Ray Ray is right, set 1 or 2 pound heavier than your hold weight.
        Enjoy your Carter
        Roger @ VIERANAS SAFARIS

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Nampom View Post
          Ray Ray is right, set 1 or 2 pound heavier than your hold weight.
          Enjoy your Carter
          If you set it just above your hold weight, how would you pull it back without setting it off? Sorry, that might be a stupid question.
          New Breed Eclipse 68# @ 33.5"/John's Customs Strings/CBE Tek Hybrid/Axion Pulse/Black Eagle Rampage/QAD Exodus 125
          2013 PSE Freak 63# @ 33.5"/BG Ascent/Axion Pulse/Black Eagle Carnivores/Gravedigger 125
          Thunderhorn Longbow 63# @ 32"
          John's Custom Bowstrings ~ Black Eagle Arrows ~ Dead Center Archery Products ~ Firenock

Comment

Shooting a back tension just takes practise.
            Roger @ VIERANAS SAFARIS

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen - Winston Churchill

Comment

The safety prevents it from going off until your at full draw.

Gt500,Bodoodle,Bstinger,

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Ray View Post
                The safety prevents it from going off until your at full draw.
                I checked it out on their site and it looks cool. I have been experimenting with BT a little and have had good results. I may have to try it out. I have my current RB Copperhead set at hair trigger and it will go off when I pull hard enough.
                New Breed Eclipse 68# @ 33.5"/John's Customs Strings/CBE Tek Hybrid/Axion Pulse/Black Eagle Rampage/QAD Exodus 125
                2013 PSE Freak 63# @ 33.5"/BG Ascent/Axion Pulse/Black Eagle Carnivores/Gravedigger 125
                John's Custom Bowstrings ~ Black Eagle Arrows ~ Dead Center Archery Products ~ Firenock

Comment

Thanks for all the input. When you say adjust it to 1-2lbs above draw weight, would that be after the let off?
                  Semper Fidelis,
                  David Miller
                  GySgt USMC
                  Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.

Comment

Yes above your holding wieght at full draw

Gt500,Bodoodle,Bstinger,

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Ray View Post
                      Yes above your holding wieght at full draw
                      Thanks RayRay! I'll give it a go, an see how it works out. My GT500 is set at 72.1, so I would set the release at 59lbs, does that sound correct?
                      Semper Fidelis,
                      David Miller
                      GySgt USMC

Comment

No ,Your bow should be around 16 pounds holding weight at 78 % letoff. So set the release at 17 or 18 pounds.

Gt500,Bodoodle,Bstinger,

Comment

Anyone else use this release for hunting. I have been experimenting with BT and I have really seen my groups improve to the point where I am busting nocks. I don't really have any TP, but I like the improved accuracy and consistency. It does scare you a bit when the release goes off. My first time, I thought that I had missed the target completely, but when I went up, my arrow was in the middle of the little dot. I could not believe it.

Comment

Let's say you're at full draw for a long time, 45 seconds plus, and you lose focus while holding for an extended time, and the bow pulls. You immediately return added pressure to your release arm to prevent this. Will it go off?

Also, in a "let down" do you have to re-engage the safety first.

Just pondering.....
                            "Bones Heal, Chicks Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"
                            cartersarchery.com Home of the Zen Master Bow Guru

Comment

If you creep forward or let down as soon as the weight is 1 to 2 pounds heavier it will fire unless the safety is reactivated. If you held for 45 seconds or longer ,you should have already let down.

Gt500,Bodoodle,Bstinger,

Comment

Working...
                              X