Arrow weight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrow weight?

Hello I am in the process of buying a new set of arrows for hunting this fall I shoot a GT500 60# 28"draw right now with carbon express CX200's dipped or wrapped with 4" feathers with either 100 grain field tips or muzzy broadheads, I am not sure on the exact weight of the arrow but what I would like to know is, (What is the lightest possible grain on an arrow that I can shoot through this bow with my set-up?) Also I was thinking of going with the CX maxima 250's this year or is there a better carbon hunting arrow I should look into?

Thanks for any help with this................................
    08.5 GT500 G1 60# 28"
    Vital Bow Gear Kaz-Away rest
    Vital Bow Gear Pro Angular Single Pin Sight
    Carbon Express CX250 Arrows
    G5 Peep
    D-loop
    Limbsaver Ultra Qauds
    Braided Sling

Originally posted by GT500 View Post
    Hello I am in the process of buying a new set of arrows for hunting this fall I shoot a GT500 60# 28"draw right now with carbon express CX200's dipped or wrapped with 4" feathers with either 100 grain field tips or muzzy broadheads, I am not sure on the exact weight of the arrow but what I would like to know is, (What is the lightest possible grain on an arrow that I can shoot through this bow with my set-up?) Also I was thinking of going with the CX maxima 250's this year or is there a better carbon hunting arrow I should look into?

Thanks for any help with this................................

No..................
    Change is Mandatory - Growth is Optional

Comment

Right at 300 grains total weight would be the lightest. I don't know how much your nock, insert, and fletchings weight, but lets just say everything minus the bare shaft weighs 150 grains. That said, you will need to shoot a arrow that weighs 5.5 to 6 gpi. A 6 gpi. gives you a total arrow weight of 318 grains. A shaft with a weight of 5.5 gpi. would give you a total weight of 304 grains. That's right where you need to be. Like I said, this is only if the insert, nock, fletchings, and field tip total 150 grains. You should be pretty close. Hope this helps.

Comment

[quote=HOBO;208976]Right at 300 grains total weight would be the lightest. I don't know how much your nock, insert, and fletchings weight, but lets just say everything minus the bare shaft weighs 150 grains. That said, you will need to shoot a arrow that weighs 5.5 to 6 gpi. A 6 gpi. gives you a total arrow weight of 318 grains. A shaft with a weight of 5.5 gpi. would give you a total weight of 304 grains. That's right where you need to be. Like I said, this is only if the insert, nock, fletchings, and field tip total 150 grains. You should be pretty close. Hope this helps.[/quote

Now would this be alright to hunt whitetail with?
        08.5 GT500 G1 60# 28"
        G5 Peep
        D-loop
        Limbsaver Ultra Qauds
        Braided Sling

Comment

Your CX200 at 27" should give you around 330-340gr. This is what i've used for the last 7-8 years. They work fine for deer. Get pass thrus if I do my part.
          Life should be measured by how many selfless acts of kindness someone does to positively influence somebody else's life.

Gt500,Bodoodle,Bstinger,
          Easton fatboys, 28" DL, 53lbs

Comment

I think HOBO is right I did have a local pro shop once tell me that I think the lightest grain arrow I could shoot through this set-up was 300 grains my only concern with 300/+ grains is kinetic energy and how strong the arrow shaft will be? This is why I was wondering about different arrow manufactures I would like to stay with a 300/+ grain arrow if at all possible but yet be able to hunt successfully with it as I know it will gain some fps over a heavier grained arrow>>>>>>>
            08.5 GT500 G1 60# 28"
            G5 Peep
            D-loop
            Limbsaver Ultra Qauds
            Braided Sling

Comment

There is a website, www.archeryevolution.com , that tested several bows. One of them was a 08' z28. they did some test on it as well as several other bows and the gt500 will be pretty similar. They show how efficiency goes up as you use heavier arrows and they test 300gr, 360, 420, and 540. You just have to decide whats best for you. KE isn't affected as much as momentum.....All in all just make sure your bow is tuned and shoots straight, the lighter arrow will be fine.

Comment

I measured my CX200's bare shaft only and they measure 26 1/8th inches so if I was to times that by 7.3 grains per inch Im looking at a total arrow weight of around 191 grains would that be correct?

Thank you for any help on this as I am learning more and more everyday
                08.5 GT500 G1 60# 28"
                G5 Peep
                D-loop
                Limbsaver Ultra Qauds
                Braided Sling

Comment

Just to give you an ideal, I shoot 66 lbs at 28 inch draw and with a 338 grain Carbon Express Maxima.
                  I am shooting 300 fps with this set up and butting out 72 ft pounds, more than enough to shoot any big game.
                  The Carbon Express are some really tough arrows,
                  Yes 26 1/8 comes to 191 grains with a 7.3 grains per inch.
                  Then you have to add in your incert weight, tip weight, nock weight and the weight of your vanes which roughly weigh 14-21 grains depending on what you use.
                  I use Blazers and they wight about 18 grains for three.
                  With everything added in you should be right over 320 grains at 7.3 grains per inch arrow.
                  Last edited by GTO63; 04-07-2009, 08:09 PM.

Elite team
                  Stokerized stabilizer
                  Sword Centurion Sight
                  Code Red arrow rest
                  Elite Answer ++++
                  RIDGERUNNER SLINGS

Comment

Originally posted by GTO63 View Post
                    ...Yes 26 1/8 comes to 191 grains with a 7.3 grains per inch. Then you have to add in your incert weright,tip wieght, nock weight and the weight of your vanes which roughly 14-21 grains depending on what you use. I use Blazers and they wight about 18 grains for three.
                    With everything added in you should be right over 320 grains at 7.3 grains per inch arrow.
                    Then add your hunting broad ead or mechanical weight and you have your total.

Almost all manufactures require that you use a minimum arrow weight of 5 grains per pound of bow weight. 60 lbs x 5 gpi = 300 gr. HCA is the only exception I believe...

Think of it like this; if you were to use your 300 win mag, 308 win, 30-30 etc to go elk hunting, you would be using a 180-220 grain bullet. Your current arrow set up will do just fine!
                    Change is Mandatory - Growth is Optional

Comment

I know my current set-up is fine but seeing that I am going to be buying a new set of arrows for the fall whitetail hunt I figured I would try to achieve some more fps overall.........a little more speed never hurts
                      08.5 GT500 G1 60# 28"
                      G5 Peep
                      D-loop
                      Limbsaver Ultra Qauds
                      Braided Sling

Comment

Originally posted by HOBO View Post
                        Right at 300 grains total weight would be the lightest. I don't know how much your nock, insert, and fletchings weight, but lets just say everything minus the bare shaft weighs 150 grains. That said, you will need to shoot a arrow that weighs 5.5 to 6 gpi. A 6 gpi. gives you a total arrow weight of 318 grains. A shaft with a weight of 5.5 gpi. would give you a total weight of 304 grains. That's right where you need to be. Like I said, this is only if the insert, nock, fletchings, and field tip total 150 grains. You should be pretty close. Hope this helps.

nice info hobo
                        08.5 GT500 G1 60# 28"
                        G5 Peep
                        D-loop
                        Limbsaver Ultra Qauds
                        Braided Sling

Comment

Help!!!!!!!

I want to know what arrow choices I have to bring my total grain weight of a finished arrow to no more than 300gpi to 310gpi?
                          08.5 GT500 G1 60# 28"
                          G5 Peep
                          D-loop
                          Limbsaver Ultra Qauds
                          Braided Sling

Comment

Victory HV 400's would give you 6.1 grains per inch. They would weigh in at about 300 with 3 blazers on them give or take a few grains. No dip or wrap on the back.

I would personally recommend the CX Maximas over the HV's for hunting though. I have both CX Maxima 3D selects and Victory V1's and I get better grouping from the Maximas.
                            Did you see the size of that CHICKEN??????

it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'.

The 1st Annual EAF South Texas Porkapalooza....It's on Boys!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GT500 View Post
                              I know my current set-up is fine but seeing that I am going to be buying a new set of arrows for the fall whitetail hunt I figured I would try to achieve some more fps overall.........a little more speed never hurts
                              My GT500 is similar to your set up. My DW is 60lbs and my DL is 27.5 inches. I'm shooting the CX 3-D Selects 250's which is the same as the Maxima 250's, just a straighter arrow. They are 7.3GPI and with your set up should give you somewhere in the neighborhood of about 68 lbs of KE.....plenty enough for deer and hogs!!

I fletched mine with the new Flash Flex Fletch vanes that are similar to Blazers but lighter and have a faster rise in the front of the vane to capture air quicker to stablize the arrow faster. My bow with the hunting set up is turning 285 FPS.
                              Live Life.....BOWLIFE!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X