X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who uses Arkansas stones?

I like using broadheads that are one piece with three blades. NAP Hellrazor/Magnus Snuffer SS/G5 Montec style. Currently I need to re-sharpen them and I'm considering getting a couple of Arkansas stones to do this with. I have looked into the "Hard" stone and the "Surgical" stone. I think the hard stone is the equivilant to 600 grit and the surgical is 8000 grit. For you guys that use them will these be the right stones to get my broadheads back to surgical shaving sharp? Please don't advise me to use a different broadhead

TEXAS
    2011 PURE MAX 1
    2014 ENERGY 35 XTRA
    Elite Archery Pro Staff

Proud Member of the Texas Boys
    BH and HTC Nashville

I guess I'm lazy...I went with Rage 2 blade and will just replace the blades.
    XLR 60lb
    XLR 70lb
    Mathews Apex (sale pending)
    Hoyt Protec
    Suffer from BO-CD!

Comment

Pic please!!!!!

Comment

I couldn't get them as sharp as I wanted them using G-5's sharpener, so I tried my Arkansas stones. I still couldn't get them sharp enough so I went with G-5 strikers. I like the montecs and snuffers though, so if you find something that works please let me know.
        Last edited by Dingo; 11-15-2007, 05:00 PM.
        2010 GT500 Max-1

Comment

Originally posted by L-train View Post
          Pic please!!!!!
          Lonnie...are you asking for pictures of the stones? And hey...is that a cow looking into your Double Bull?

TEXAS
          2011 PURE MAX 1
          2014 ENERGY 35 XTRA
          Elite Archery Pro Staff

BH and HTC Nashville

Comment

Yo bro, why dontcha give sandpaper a try first b4 you buy themthar stones?

It is a whole lot cheaper to try....
            Visit --> Tough Antler Tees

Z-28 Owner

Comment

You should post that in your Blog LMAO about the sandpaper trick. What do I need? something like 1200 grit.

TEXAS
              2011 PURE MAX 1
              2014 ENERGY 35 XTRA
              Elite Archery Pro Staff

BH and HTC Nashville

Comment

Originally posted by TEXAS 10PT View Post
                Lonnie...are you asking for pictures of the stones? And hey...is that a cow looking into your Double Bull?

TEXAS
                Truth be told I didnt really read your post to good and thought it was some new BH! I was trying to keep up with Michael

Yea I had a huge herd of cows come to my waterhole last year, let me tell ya its pretty scary with 30 1000# red angus surrounding you in a canvas tent. Didnt have one goat come in they were there for hours

Comment

I have some 2500 grit, will that really work?
                  Elite Archery Dealer
                  Carbon Express Dealer
                  Sword Accusite
                  IDF4L

Comment

I use the stones from my Lansky set. They will get them sharper than new ones.
                    Envy #114 fall leaf 70lb 29" 409gr @309fps
                    GT500 reverse AT 70lb 29" 409gr @306fps
                    Sword, Victory, Posten, G5 Montec

Comment

1.) Go to hardware store and but a 9" x 12" scrap of 1/2" plate glass. It doesn't have to be tempered glass.
                      2.) Go to auto parts store and purchase one sheet each of the following wet/dry sandpaper grits: 600, 1000, & 2000 (or whatever the highest is they have). If you have a Woodcraft store in your city, they will also have this same kind of sandpaper in grits well above 2,000.
                      3.) When you get home, cut your sheets of sandpaper in half or thirds the long way. That way you get more mileage out of each sheet.
                      4.) Starting with the 600 grit, wet it completely with water then spread it flat on the plate glass (grit side up). The water should help "stick" it to the glass. If it starts to move on you, just dump some more water on the sandpaper. The water becomes both your paper adhesive and your sharpening lubricant.
                      5.) Take a sharpie marker and black out all edges that need to be sharpened. Just the edge itself, not the whole blade.
                      6.) Begin sharpening the broadhead just like you would on a diamond plate or flat stone. Flip it to the next side when all of the black magic marker is gone from the side you've been working with.
                      7.) Once you've made it all the way around, move up to the next higher grit of sandpaper and repeat steps 4 - 6.
                      8.) Continue moving up in grits until you've made it through all grits, repeating steps 4 - 6 with each grit change.
                      9.) Now, if you have a leather strop, go ahead and lightly strop each side just to remove any micro burr that may exist.
                      Visit --> Tough Antler Tees

Z-28 Owner

Comment

Very nice. Thanks Jerry.
                        No ifs and or buts Just maybee.

Comment

too hard to sharpen,, I went with Strikers as well,,, I got sick of constantly sharpening the G5's Montecs
                          2012 Elite Answer

As Iron sharpens Iron., So one man sharpens another...Prov:27:17

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry/NJ View Post
                            1.) Go to hardware store and but a 9" x 12" scrap of 1/2" plate glass. It doesn't have to be tempered glass.
                            2.) Go to auto parts store and purchase one sheet each of the following wet/dry sandpaper grits: 600, 1000, & 2000 (or whatever the highest is they have). If you have a Woodcraft store in your city, they will also have this same kind of sandpaper in grits well above 2,000.
                            3.) When you get home, cut your sheets of sandpaper in half or thirds the long way. That way you get more mileage out of each sheet.
                            4.) Starting with the 600 grit, wet it completely with water then spread it flat on the plate glass (grit side up). The water should help "stick" it to the glass. If it starts to move on you, just dump some more water on the sandpaper. The water becomes both your paper adhesive and your sharpening lubricant.
                            5.) Take a sharpie marker and black out all edges that need to be sharpened. Just the edge itself, not the whole blade.
                            6.) Begin sharpening the broadhead just like you would on a diamond plate or flat stone. Flip it to the next side when all of the black magic marker is gone from the side you've been working with.
                            7.) Once you've made it all the way around, move up to the next higher grit of sandpaper and repeat steps 4 - 6.
                            8.) Continue moving up in grits until you've made it through all grits, repeating steps 4 - 6 with each grit change.
                            9.) Now, if you have a leather strop, go ahead and lightly strop each side just to remove any micro burr that may exist.
                            You know what Bro. I found these exact instructions crumpled up in the back seat of my truck. I had printed them from a guy that put it out on AT. I went and got all this sand paper at an auto store after work today and will give it a whirl tomorrow. Anyway you know how good I am at sharpening things I hope it works.

TEXAS
                            2011 PURE MAX 1
                            2014 ENERGY 35 XTRA
                            Elite Archery Pro Staff

BH and HTC Nashville

Comment

I tried sharpening my NAP Hellrazors this evening with the 600/1000/2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper doing it in three stages and it works, these babies are dang sharp now. I need to go shoot something now.

TEXAS
                              2011 PURE MAX 1
                              2014 ENERGY 35 XTRA
                              Elite Archery Pro Staff

BH and HTC Nashville

Comment

Working...
                              X