Help with string terminology

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with string terminology

This new press is going to be dangerous!!! I just want to take everything apart with it!!

Help me with string terminology. Please correct my terms below...

There are 3 "strings" on the Elite bow, a string and 2 cables. The cables are what slave the cams together. The string is, well, the string. You attach the arrow to the string. Am I right thus far?

Do the 2 cables have names? Like top cable or lower cable?

Looking at the cable guard/slide, which cable goes in front? (using the point of reference as if you were holding the bow to draw it.).

The cable slide has 2 grooves in it, one of the 2 cables goes in each groove. Which cable goes in which groove?

Sorry for the inane questions, but I am having fun dismantling and I want to make sure I get things right. These questions just pop in my head as I am tinkering.
    www.predatorsarchery.com
    2014 Elite Energy 35 29.5" 60# - Tomater
    2014 Elite Energy 35 29.5" 60# - The Manimal
    2015 Elite Synergy 29.5" 70#

[quote=Smeagol;308462]This new press is going to be dangerous!!! I just want to take everything apart with it!!

Help me with string terminology. Please correct my terms below...

There are 3 "strings" on the Elite bow, a string and 2 cables. The cables are what slave the cams together. The string is, well, the string. You attach the arrow to the string. Am I right thus far? AIM STRING

Do the 2 cables have names? Like top cable or lower cable? On a dual cam bow there is a bus cable and control cable. Not sure what the proper name is on Binary cams. I call them top and bottom. by the one going to the take up side of the cams. bottom to straight track on bottom. top on the top cam.

Looking at the cable guard/slide, which cable goes in front? (using the point of reference as if you were holding the bow to draw it.). Cable coming from the top cam straight track. Also known as the take up track.

The cable slide has 2 grooves in it, one of the 2 cables goes in each groove. Which cable goes in which groove? deep groove goes toward the riser. Except for the agile.

Sorry for the inane questions, but I am having fun dismantling and I want to make sure I get things right. These questions just pop in my head as I am tinkering.

Track around the hub is let out track the straight track is the take up. Not sure I call it the right way or not but this is the way I call it.
    Last edited by Maybee-R; 04-02-2010, 09:29 PM.
    No ifs and or buts Just maybee.

Comment

Maybee's descriptions are pretty good and I agree with them, although I have always referred to the cables differently.

On binary bows I have always just called them the "up" cable and "down" cable based on which way the center section of the cable travels as the bow is drawn. The "down" cable would be the one that connects to the front of the bottom cam, and closest to the axle on the top cam. As the bottom cam rotates around it takes up a section of the cable while the top cam lets some out, this causes the cable to "move down". The exact same thing happens with the "up" cable, only opposite, moving it up. The down cable would be where you would connect a conventional drop rest.

I don't think my terms are exactly proper, but I guess it is more important to understand how the system works than to reference the parts of the system by the perfect term.
      Last edited by hartofthethumb; 04-02-2010, 10:31 PM.
      Smile!

Comment

Super replys & easy to understand.

Smeagol

Make sure when you put it back together that the power cables cross under the cable slide long slot in the front.
        09/10 Elite GT500 Ninja aka
        el fabricante de viuda
        NRA INSTRUCTOR
        SC CWP INSTRUCTOR

Comment

Single cam bows have a string and a y-cable, also known as a split cable or buss cable.

Hybrid cam bows have a string, a control cable and a power cable(also known as a y cable, split cable or buss cable).

Binary bows have a string and two cables often refered to as control cables, which is partially correct. They are actually control cables and power cables at the same time.
          989-697-5341
          Our racks are loaded.

Comment

Alright, I am super dumb, the terminology isn't clear to me. I am going to take some photos and see if we can point to what is what. Back in a few...
            www.predatorsarchery.com
            2014 Elite Energy 35 29.5" 60# - Tomater
            2014 Elite Energy 35 29.5" 60# - The Manimal
            2015 Elite Synergy 29.5" 70#

Comment

Originally posted by Smeagol View Post
              Alright, I am super dumb, the terminology isn't clear to me. I am going to take some photos and see if we can point to what is what. Back in a few...
              You need to take some pictures? I didn't think there was an angle of your bow that you had not already covered...

Just teasin' ya a bit... You do take some very nice pictures.
              989-697-5341
              Our racks are loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Beaver View Post
                You need to take some pictures? I didn't think there was an angle of your bow that you had not already covered...

Just teasin' ya a bit... You do take some very nice pictures.
                HEHEHEHEHEHE
                09/10 Elite GT500 Ninja aka
                el fabricante de viuda
                NRA INSTRUCTOR
                SC CWP INSTRUCTOR

Comment

Originally posted by Don Beaver View Post
                  Single cam bows have a string and a y-cable, also known as a split cable or buss cable.

Hybrid cam bows have a string, a control cable and a power cable(also known as a y cable, split cable or buss cable).

Binary bows have a string and two cables often refered to as control cables, which is partially correct. They are actually control cables and power cables at the same time.
                  ^Clear, accurate, and to the point^

This is a great reply.
                  Smile!

Comment

Just for you smeagol. Its a little rudimentary but should help you out.

All "strings" are blue. The power cables on the single cam and hybrid are orange and the control cable on the hybrid is white. On the binary the "down" cable is orange and the "up" cable is white.

Single cam:

Hybrid:

Binary:

Smile!

Comment

I'm impressed. I believe the cable routing is even correct.
                      989-697-5341
                      Our racks are loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by hartofthethumb View Post
                        Just for you smeagol. Its a little rudimentary but should help you out.

All "strings" are blue. The power cables on the single cam and hybrid are orange and the control cable on the hybrid is white. On the binary the "down" cable is orange and the "up" cable is white.

Single cam:

Hybrid:

Binary:

Nicely done! Easier to picture it then my poor discription. Now whats a floating yolk System LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Maybee-R View Post
                          Nicely done! Easier to picture it then my poor discription. Now whats a floating yolk System LOL!
                          Baby steps, lol.
                          Your description was good, I thought. Some people are just more visual, and being new to tuning, etc. I could see how it might be confusing for anyone without a visual. Hopefully this will help a little. Man, looking at those pics though, now I miss all those bows just a little, lol.

If you are wondering about the yolk thing though Smeagol, a floating yolk is basically a 2 piece power cable.

First let me explain a static yolk cable to you. A cable with a static yolk is all one peice, but at a point near the limb where the yolk attaches the twists stop and the cable forks out to either end of the limb.

Floating yolk power cables perform the same function, but are made from 2 seperate peices. One short piece; 16" or so generally, forms the "fork" and it's 2 loops go to the opposing sides of the limb. The center of this short piece rides in one loop of the second peice which then goes to the cam on the opposite end of the bow, forming the remainder of the cable. As someone who builds my own strings, I prefer floating yolks, though lots of guys prefer static, it is a matter of preference among different string manufacturers, as well as bow manufacturers. Each has it's pros and cons when compared, but that is a whole other discussion...
                          Last edited by hartofthethumb; 04-04-2010, 01:39 PM. Reason: spelling/typing mistakes
                          Smile!

Comment

Dang your good. I couldnt explain it in words. I like to point and ask whats that. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks Hart- one for the save file.
                              09 GT500 29/70- getting old , now a 60
                              09 Z 28 29/70 now a 60
                              Pulse- 29/60 - gone but still in Family
                              E 35 29.5/60

Comment

Working...
                              X