X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draw-length question

I am sure this info is in here somewhere, but I've read several threads and I am still a bit confused.

I am building my own draw-board, and I want to know where to attach the measuring strip I have. Do I put it 1 3/4" in front of the post (where the throat of the bow grip makes contact)? I believe that will produce an AMO draw-length.

My question: do I want AMO draw-length? When Elite says a DL is 29", is that AMO or some other standard? Or should I be measuring from the throat to the nock-point? What standard is that?

Thanks!
    www.predatorsarchery.com
    2014 Elite Energy 35 29.5" 60# - Tomater
    2014 Elite Energy 35 29.5" 60# - The Manimal

You got it. 1 3/4 from the grip side of the post.
    Here is more info to check out. AMO is Archery Manufactures and Merchants Organization Standards. Here this link is easier to explain.
    http://texasarchery.org/Documents/AMO/AMOStandards.pdf
    No ifs and or buts Just maybee.

Comment

Originally posted by Maybee-R View Post
      You got it. 1 3/4 from the grip side of the post.
      Here is more info to check out. AMO is Archery Manufactures and Merchants Organization Standards. Here this link is easier to explain.
      http://texasarchery.org/Documents/AMO/AMOStandards.pdf
      So, if I say my DL is 29", am I saying AMO? Because, if that's the case, then my DL is 30 3/4". ??
      www.predatorsarchery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Smeagol View Post
        So, if I say my DL is 29", am I saying AMO? Because, if that's the case, then my DL is 30 3/4". ??
        Your DL is 29". That is AMO yes, so your bow will measure 27 1/4" from deepest part of grip to string at full draw. 27 1/4" + 1 3/4" = 29"
        Smile!

Comment

Originally posted by Smeagol View Post
          If you have measured your bow from the throat of the grip to the nocking point and measured 29", and you're telling anyone that listens that your drawlength is 29", that is commonly referred to as true draw. But it is 30.75" AMO, which is what you would order if buying a new one and you should be calling it in any discussions about your drawlength.
          2011 Ninja Elite Pure
          2008 Camo Elite XXL
          2008 Blue Elite XXL
          Victory Arrows & Limbdriver Rest

Comment

Originally posted by hartofthethumb View Post
            Your DL is 29". That is AMO yes, so your bow will measure 27 1/4" from deepest part of grip to string at full draw. 27 1/4" + 1 3/4" = 29"
            OK, so here's where I am perplexed. I put my bow on the draw-board last night. It's my GT500, and it's supposed to be a 29" DL bow. After cranking it back, it stopped at about 30.25" (I placed the measuring strip 1.75" in front of the draw-board post - from where the throat of the riser grip makes contact).

I am looking at the nock-point, not including the d-loop. So, this tells me I am off by 1.25" inches. ?? That seems like an awful large gap from what I expect.

Possible causes for the difference:
            1. String stretch?
            2. Cam timing? I do notice my cams are out of time, so I have to tweak that, but I don't see that making up for the 1.25" difference.
            3. Draw-board: I am pulling at the d-loop, which is the nock-point, so I doubt this would contribute to the 1.25" gap.
            www.predatorsarchery.com

Comment

If you're measuring from the nock point to the throat of the grip your measurement will be off. You need to measure a straight path from the nock point to an area equal to the throat of the grip, but parallel to the nock point... if that makes sense...

... OR measure to an area on the string parallel with the throat of the grip, depanding upon how your drawboard is set-up...
              989-697-5341
              Our racks are loaded.

Comment

you have #3 mods/cams on the gt? Cam timing is not going to really effect the DL, and these strings aren't going to stretch enough to add that kind of length, barring broken strands or other serious issues. From what you describe, you are measuring correctly. I would say the string cable lengths must be off. Stock strings? Have you measured the strings?
                Smile!

Comment

I don't have a GT500, but assuming your cams/or modules are indeed 29", and your drawstops are in the correct place, you have string and cable issues. One of these GT500 guys should be able to help you. But I assume you need to time the cams, then take twists out of the cables and put twists into the string until your DL is correct.

What poundage does your bow max out at ? Not theoretically. Looking for facts since that might tell us if your cables and string are an issue.
                  2011 Ninja Elite Pure
                  2008 Camo Elite XXL
                  2008 Blue Elite XXL
                  Victory Arrows & Limbdriver Rest

Comment

I think I just solved the mystery!!

I just looked at the tune chart for the 2008 GT500 & 2010 GT500. Both say a #1 module is a 30" DL. I just put the new 2010 cams/modules on my 08 GT500, and the mods are #1. Hence, I am getting ~30" DL. Whew!! That 0.25" difference might be the angle of measurement I am taking (as mentioned by Don B. above).
                    www.predatorsarchery.com

Comment

Your mystery is now solved. A #1 mod IS for a 30" draw on the GT.

TEXAS
                      2011 PURE MAX 1
                      2014 ENERGY 35 XTRA
                      Elite Archery Pro Staff

Proud Member of the Texas Boys
                      BH and HTC Nashville

Comment

Working...
                      X