X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I may just give it up!!!

Even with the correct draw I cant even get a grouping at 10 yards. I have gone from being able to shoot those colored stickers at 40 yards with ease to not being able to hold a 2 in group at 10 yards. Trust me guys it aint the bow its all me!!!!!!!!!! I think im another archery casualty
    09 GT500 28.5/64.5

Take a break and clear your head bro.....
    Jerry Reeves
    Rednek Booda Outdoors
    Christ Outdoors Ministry
    www.rednekboodaoutdoors.com
    Home of the BOOCOO TUNE!

Dealer for the following.
    Elite-Mathews-Mission-Bowtech-Diamond-Strothers-PSE/BowJax Inc Carbon Express- Treelimb-Grim Reaper Broadheads-HHA Sports-Vortex Optics- And much More!

Comment

Sometimes you just have to remind yourself that it's not just smacking the 'X'.

For me, it's just being outside, clearing my head from all the day-to-day stuff that is at the core of my enjoyment. You've got to find what makes it fun for you. If it's just smacking the 'X' on every shot, then I would rethink that objective, because it's a VERY tall order. And, if you are a casual archer, hitting that objective is going to be tough. So, it's almost as if you are setting yourself up for failure. Who needs that?

I hope you can find the joy that comes from being outside and flinging sticks around, even if they don't break the X every time. You'll probably find that the more relaxed and less anxious you are about shooting, the more Xs you'll starting nailing. !!??
      www.predatorsarchery.com
      2014 Elite Energy 35 29.5" 60# - Tomater
      2014 Elite Energy 35 29.5" 60# - The Manimal

Comment

Originally posted by Deer3083 View Post
        Even with the correct draw I cant even get a grouping at 10 yards. I have gone from being able to shoot those colored stickers at 40 yards with ease to not being able to hold a 2 in group at 10 yards. Trust me guys it aint the bow its all me!!!!!!!!!! I think im another archery casualty
        Have you ever tried a back tension release? I had target panic so bad years ago I couldn't even come close to a 3-D target, a guy let me borrow a back tension release, said it would free my mind from my finger and let me aim again, and brother it did. I now own one and still pull it out every now and then. You may want to give it a try. Don't give up, stick it out and you'll be a better archer in the end when you beat this thing.
        2010 Ninja Z28
        2005 Mathews Switchback
        Fred Bear Grizzly

Comment

Originally posted by arrowaddict View Post
          Have you ever tried a back tension release? I had target panic so bad years ago I couldn't even come close to a 3-D target, a guy let me borrow a back tension release, said it would free my mind from my finger and let me aim again, and brother it did. I now own one and still pull it out every now and then. You may want to give it a try. Don't give up, stick it out and you'll be a better archer in the end when you beat this thing.
          No i have never used a BT release. Are there any with a wrist strap? Other than the carters?
          09 GT500 28.5/64.5

Comment

Don't give it up. You just need to go back to basics.
            Turn the weight down, relax and just have fun. NO Pressure.
            2014 E32
            2011 PULSE AP
            TUNER OF BOWS BY LONG DISTANCE
            Member of the JURY MEMBER OF THE LEFTY BROTHERHOOD

"If it ain't broke , I can MAKE it better".
            Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Comment

Walk away for a while and then when you go back rethink your process. Giving up is not the answer...

Comment

Keep shooting and admit to your self its ok to miss.
                If you walk away your just buying time. shoot through it and make your self, control the need too shoot quick before you pull off the X or spot your aiming at.
                Let the pin settle and dont ever fire the first time your pin gets on the X. let it bounce back and forth a little before you squeeze the trigger. Its all because of bad mental habits. You feel like if the pin is on hit it quick before it moves off but thats the reason for panic. tighten up the tension on your trigger so it isn't a hair trigger, make it hard to squeeze and you will stop punching and work through the target panic.
                also helps to tell your self you have been doing better and making good shots.
                Back tension is another good way because you have to wait on the pin to settle and use back muscles to fire. you cant slam a trigger.JMO!
                No ifs and or buts Just maybee.

Comment

Originally posted by Maybee-R View Post
                  If you walk away your just buying time. shoot through it and make your self, control the need too shoot quick before you pull off the X or spot your aiming at.
                  Let the pin settle and dont ever fire the first time your pin gets on the X. let it bounce back and forth a little before you squeeze the trigger. Its all because of bad mental habits. You feel like if the pin is on hit it quick before it moves off but thats the reason for panic. tighten up the tension on your trigger so it isn't a hair trigger, make it hard to squeeze and you will stop punching and work through the target panic.
                  Back tension is another good way because you have to wait on the pin to settle and use back muscles to fire. you cant slam a trigger.JMO!
                  That's some very good advice right there, I had TP so bad I couldn't shoot either. Cover your target with a trash bag and just shoot into it.
                  Do what ever it takes to just shoot....No bullseyes.
                  Limited Edition TA GTO 64# @ 28.5"
                  Elite E 500 64# @ 28.5"
                  The start of a love affair
                  Ninja E Force...Black Thunder
                  FMJ Silverflames/Phathead
                  Posten Spot Hogg
                  Ford Tough

Comment

Originally posted by archer58inPA View Post
                    Don't give it up. You just need to go back to basics.
                    Turn the weight down, relax and just have fun. NO Pressure.
                    Originally posted by Maybee-R View Post
                    Excellent advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hang in there.I had target panic so bad I give it up until my 10 yr old son got me hooked again.A back tension release is what helped me start shooting again.The first 3-d shoot I shot last year I think I shot in the 170's with several missed targets.I am now averging 285 with my highest being 297.I hoping to break 300 one day.If you watch you can find HHA LP-3 wrist strap release for sale still.I have 2 of them and they work very well.I have never tried a Carter so I can not tell you anything about them.Good luck and do not give up.

Comment

What some have already said. Don't quite shooting, blank bale, and back tension. Also find someone that KNOWS how to deal with your problems and can help you in person. Its one thing to get advise on here and its another thing to have someone standing there to talk you through it. We can't be there in person to correct you when you get off track.
                        And the most important thing of all. There are a bunch of us that have dealt with this in the past and we made it through. You can too...
                        08 GTO Ninja
                        08.5 XLR Snow Camo A/T (currently)
                        Hoyt Gamemaster
                        Mathews Rival Pro
                        New Breed Horizon
                        New Breed Eclipse

"Don't out smart your common sense"

Comment

Never give up I went form shooting 298 + to 265 + it was killing me. I had to stop & say WHAT is going on?? I found that I had way to much on my plate at once!!! Pastoring a church, a wife I don't understand, kids, hourse with my daughter, soccer with my son & much much more.

I was under so much pressure I couldn't do anything with out thinking of what I had to do next.

Take it slow & enjoy each shot & learn what the bow, arrow & your body are saying. If it don't feel good don't shoot!! Just flow & it will come together.

BE BLESSED
                          09/10 Elite GT500 Ninja aka
                          el fabricante de viuda
                          NRA INSTRUCTOR
                          SC CWP INSTRUCTOR

Comment

like most above..... don't give it up.

back up, breath, quite punching (the release), pushing (the shot), peeking ( to see if you hit the X)

Stella lost her groove.... if you can get out of your head and just shoot for fun, the bow will find the groove (ruts) and get you out of the mud-hole.
                            Abstracted Member of the TEXAS BOYS

Comment

Originally posted by Deer3083 View Post
                              No i have never used a BT release. Are there any with a wrist strap? Other than the carters?
                              I'm not sure. You don't neccesarily need one with a strap though, it's the mechanics of the back tension release thats going to help you because it takes your trigger finger out of the equasion. Try and find a used one on e-bay or Archery talk. I just bought a cheap Stanislawski. Think of it as a training tool.
                              2010 Ninja Z28
                              2005 Mathews Switchback
                              Fred Bear Grizzly

Comment

Working...
                              X