Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far will a GT500 shoot?

357-yds.

Tested this weekend @ 10,000-ft elevation. To be fair, I had a small game tip and a 10-mph sidewind... and I'm not confident I was at 45-degrees. I think I could get more outta her!

Before I get my flame-suit on, I should mention that I was in a wide open clearing with no living beings present... not even the birds had to fear me this weekend...

Ive lunched a few arrows into the great wide open over here and lost sight of the arrow almost immediately...375 yds sounds about 250 yds shorter than I thought it would be.
    ExtremeStrings Staff www.extremebowstrings.com
    Carbon Creations Staff www.carboncreations.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter2678 View Post
      Ive lunched a few arrows into the great wide open over here and lost sight of the arrow almost immediately...375 yds sounds about 250 yds shorter than I thought it would be.
      Only 357-yds, get it straight!

I think there may have been a bit of an incline, too. I'm sure that blunt-tip small game point didn't help any

Comment

You will get more distance from setting your arc at 32.5 degrees if I remember my Physics 10 class right. (Mind you, that was twenty years ago).

But I do know that you will get more didstance at an angle less than 45.
        2012 Answer in hand!!!
        2011 Elite AP Hunter
        2010 Elite AP Judge & Elite AP Snow Z-28

Comment

As kids we took recurves in the pastures at night we taped neon crack sticks to the end and launched them in the air at a safe angle to see how long we could see them and watched them hit the ground, the neon made it easy to find!!lmao
          Elite Archery Pro Staff
          Stage 1 Pro Staff
          VaporTrail Limbdriver Prostaff
          Get Kids Involved!!!

Comment

Nice call on the sticks! I lost sight of my arrow just as it peaked out. I was amazed how true it flew with the sidewind... very little effect on my original aiming point!

Comment

well i know for a fact my Z28 will go about 100 yards at 1/3 draw only to be stopped by a car (d@mn back tension)
              ELITE XXL
              ELITE XLR
              ELITE GT500
              archery is my drug and i am an addict

Comment

Originally posted by cheese View Post
                well i know for a fact my Z28 will go about 100 yards at 1/3 draw only to be stopped by a car (d@mn back tension)
                now that's funny swiss cheese
                Abstracted Member of the TEXAS BOYS

Comment

lol!

I mean, sorry.
                  2014 Energy 35 Snow RAT

Comment

Never seen that before! My neighbor has though.
                    No ifs and or buts Just maybee.

Comment

I like to play archery golf. I have tested my GT500 and you guys are way short. You can get just past 500 yards. I have a sight setup so I can shoot out to 350 yards and usually land within 20 yards of the target. Here is my setup. 70 lbs, 350 grain arrow, short plastic vanes (mini blazers) and a field tip. Anything different will get you less yardage. Feathers will shoot over 100 yards less. The optimum angle is around 38 degrees. Twice last year on two different courses we had shots of 400 yards or more. The first time I did it, the shot was just over 400 yards. I over shot it by 80 yards. The second time, the shot was around 1/2 mile or so. I made the distance in 4 shots, all the other bows took 5 to get to the puck. I made it to the puck in 3 and knocked it over with a 28 yard shot on shot 4. With my Mathews single cams, they will shoot just short of 400 yards. The only bows that came close to the GT is an 80 lb pull Hoyt and it is still shot around 50 yards less, most of the time a little more, and a Mathews Monster, 6.5 brace height, 27 inch draw, 330 grain arrow. It shot 30 to 50 yards shorter. I imagine if that bow was a 30 inch draw, it would likely out distance the GT. As of May of this year, the GT500 out distanced all the bows in our club.

Comment

I like to play archery golf. I have tested my GT500 and you guys are way short. You can get just past 500 yards. I have a sight setup so I can shoot out to 350 yards and usually land within 20 yards of the target. Here is my setup. 70 lbs, 350 grain arrow, short plastic vanes (mini blazers) and a field tip. Anything different will get you less yardage. Feathers will shoot over 100 yards less. The optimum angle is around 38 degrees. Twice last year on two different courses we had shots of 400 yards or more. The first time I did it, the shot was just over 400 yards. I over shot it by 80 yards. The second time, the shot was around 1/2 mile or so. I made the distance in 4 shots, all the other bows took 5 to get to the puck. I made it to the puck in 3 and knocked it over with a 28 yard shot on shot 4. With my Mathews single cams, they will shoot just short of 400 yards. The only bows that came close to the GT is an 80 lb pull Hoyt and it is still shot around 50 yards less, most of the time a little more, and a Mathews Monster, 6.5 brace height, 27 inch draw, 330 grain arrow. It shot 30 to 50 yards shorter. I imagine if that bow was a 30 inch draw, it would likely out distance the GT. As of May of this year, the GT500 out distanced all the bows in our club.

Comment

I never heard of archery golf till now. Sounds like a fun twist on both sports.
                          Got archery?

Looking for archery tips?

Comment

I keep hearing that. I thought everyone knew about archery golf. You gotta have a lot of room. We generally play out in the desert on BLM ground. Some of the courses have shorter holes (50-330 yrds) ours tends to be quite long. The shorter courses allow you the possibility of getting a hole in one. My longest hole in 1 is 130 yards. We put up flags marking the puck and use a 6 inch tall piece of fire hose filled with rags standing on end as the puck. You have to knock the puck over. The fire hose is generally 2.5 inches wide. It is fun practice trying for a 1, but really frustrating when you miss by just fractions of an inch and the arrow skips 20 or sometimes 40 yards. Rules are the same as golf, play it where the arrow stops. Can be expensive when it comes to arrows. You tend to break a lot and lose a lot. The funnest is playing a smoker round of golf. Rules are you cannot repair an arrow. If you lose the nock, then you have to shoot it without a nock. You are out when you cannot shoot the arrow. Lowest score at the end wins, sometimes the guy who gets the farthest is the winner. We will setup those courses in the rocks. Strategy becomes the key to winning.
                            Last edited by bow_dude; 09-22-2010, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X