Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competitions

Hello All,

I am new to archery and would like to ask one, perhaps pretentious question. I am 33 years old and would like to know if I am to “old” to think about professional competitions? I know that this depends on many factors (training, talent, psychic, etc.), but generally is age an issue?

Thank you for your help…

Regards,

Kid Moe

I just shot my first at 39 this year. Archery is a sport that doesn't see your age.

Comment

It is all about the time you put in and natural ability. Training will only get you so far, but far enough to be very competetive..
      2010 Elite Judge Ninja 27/70
      "Night Stalker"
      HHA XL 5010 Slider
      QAD Ultra LD Pro

Get Lucky!

Comment

Thank you for your prompt replies. There are only few archery clubs in Serbia (where I am from) and I had difficulties to find the right one. I was always very competitive in everything I did and I just wandered if there would be a possibility to compete on national or some other levels even if I start at the age of 33. Off course it is implied that a person needs to train a lot and to have certain abilities.

As I see from you replies, if want to compete on a professional level, age is the least of my worries.

Comment

If your starting out new, find a suitable instructor. Starting with the right form and a bow that is best suited for the competitions you will be in, and set up correctly! Most of all, have fun with it.

Comment

Arguably, the best archer in the world today in FITA competition is Roger Willet, Jr., who I believe is 52. He's rattled off three gold medals in a row, which is unprecedented in the FITA world.
            '10 XLR AT Snow

Comment

I have just seen what professional archers do on tournaments (Koreans as well) and realized something very important... I'll stick to just having fun with archery and spending quality time with my kids... I will leave professional competitions to those obviously deranged individuals who hit peanuts from the distance of 30 meters...

Last edited by Kid Moe; 09-06-2011, 12:11 PM.

Comment

I'll be 43 in a few days, and I try to get to as many "big" shoots as I can. Next year I will be hitting all 5 major shoots(NFAA), plus maybe a few FITA events, time permitting from work!! Your never to young, and never to old. Just get out, and enjoy it. Set a realistic goal, and let 'um fly!!
                Hoyt Vantage Elite Plus...current shooter
                [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]2010 XLR...for sale
                [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]2011 Tour...for sale
                Dead Center Archery Products Pro Staff
                Baker's Archery, CedarHill Archery, Stan Lenhart Releases

Comment

My friends have told me I should start shooting competatively, right now I am 51, I'll be 52 next week. I love shooting 3D and shoot as many local shoots as I can, but I don't feel myself that I am "that good" and I am having so much fun doing what I do, that I don't feel I need the presure of the tournaments and time spent away from the family. I am sure there are many really great archers that could compete, and even win, that feel the same. That said, I would love to see one of my kids become a tournament archer one day!
                  2008.5 XLR
                  2010 Z28
                  2011 Pure
                  2011 Tour

Comment

Originally posted by ntypicl11 View Post
                    I just shot my first at 39 this year. Archery is a sport that doesn't see your age.

Too funny I also started shooting competitions at age 39! Wish I had started a long long time ago. It's a lot of fun.

Steve
                    2011 Elite Pure Snow 70lb 29"
                    2012 Elite Answer APG 70lb 29"
                    2013 Mathews Creed 70lb 28.5"

I've got a snow camo Elite hat

Comment

Working...
                    X