X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is rifle hunting kind of lame ?

I know it's a personal taste but I can't help thinking it is kinda lame to shoot deer at 100 plus yards with a gun. All the videos I see they make a big deal out of getting with in 100 or so yards and boom do he goes.

If that's what you like that's great. But I rather get closer for the shot.
    Twin Oaks Archery Range VA
    2013 Nija Hunter
    2009 GT 500 Reverse AP
    2009 GT 500 Black and Carbon Fiber
    Home Brewer of fine Ale

shotgun season became like this for me so I get tags and just use my bow taking the risk of getting a ticket.

Comment

I'm actually rifle hunting this weekend. Is it as exciting as chasing elk with my bow? Absolutely not.... but I do still enjoy it. Frankly, I find tree stand hunting over a bait pile far more lame than spot and stalk hunting game with any weapon choice.

Comment

Nothing wrong with rifle hunting. My average shot distance has been only 30 yards with my longest being 70 yards. That is a bow shot for those out west!
        Elite E35, LimbDriver Pro V, BG Ascent, BE Carnivore 350

Comment

Now that I live east of the big muddy river I no longer use a gun for big game.

However, when I lived out west, I loved gun hunting.

Skeet.
          Match your rig to da gig

Comment

I felt that way too for awhile. Now I like to sneak hunt the big woods in the snow. It keeps me on my feet looking for new spring gobbler and archery spots.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Comment

Im a big time rifle hunter just as equally a bowhunter ! When rifle season ones I always pack my bow with me in the tree just in case Im lucky enough to have one of these illusive Mississippi sad daddys come by me close enough . Mississippi is a very heavly hunted state by the way . Hunting here has always been 5-10xs harder for whitetails vs all the other states Ive hunted in .
              Elite Dealer Sports Center ​Vicksburg , MS 601-638-4262

Comment

I really enjoy rifle hunting. I prefer to hunt with a bow but after 2 months of hunting with a bow which can get mentally draining, I like the more relaxed nature of hunting with the rifle and not toting anywhere near as much equipment through the woods. Just the gun and a backpack. I leave the stand in the car. When the hunt is over, all I have to do is grab my pack and walk out. With bowhunting, I have to get down from the tree in the climber, pack that up, and hike out with it. Even though my climber is pretty light at 19 pounds, all the other crap that goes along with using the stand combined with the weight of the stand equates to an additional 25 lbs. of weight to haul around.

Comment

My bud just got a blacktail with a 308 from 340yds, he coulda been standing next to a red jeep playing the radio and bbq'n!, no sport in it for me, I dont even watch hunting shows with guns
                  2011 Elite Hunter 61#
                  Sauk Trail Spirit recurve 50# / Stalker Recurves Tracker 40#
                  KUIU / CBE / Widowmaker / VPA

Comment

I have a rifle and slug gun, bought tags an may go out once or twice. I prefer muzzle loading over rifle. Bow hunting is more fun for me over any type hunting.
                    LH Energy 35
                    LH GT500
                    LH Judge

Comment

I gave up my long distance gun and switched to a Marlin in .44mag.
                      No more long shots for me, I still spot and stock as close as I can get.

Being a bow hunter has made the sport far more interesting and exciting for me.

Oh, and I rarely take my Marlin out, as long as it's warmer than -20C, no matter the season, I have my bows with me.
                      2012 Answer in hand!!!
                      2011 Elite AP Hunter
                      2010 Elite AP Judge & Elite AP Snow Z-28

Comment

Equality for me

"Is rifle hunting kind of lame ? "
                        No. Not even slighty.

I enjoy shooting guns and gun hunting just as much as bow shooting and hunting. They are equally enjoyable to me, just different activities.
                        Last edited by wdriver; 10-24-2011, 02:52 PM.
                        GT500 Ninja (Predator's Archery)
                        Bowtech 82nd Airborne
                        Bowtech Guardian

Comment

I enjoy bowhunting the most, but I also hunt with a rifle. I used to live in CT, where I only hunted with a bow due to gun restrictions in my hunting zone. Once moving to N Dakota, I realized that rifle hunting can also be fun. The land here is so flat and wide open, you may not always get a shot with your bow. All that matters to me is that I get the meat in my freezer. Love me some venison!
                          2011 Pulse, AT/AP, 29.5"/72lbs
                          HHA DS-5519, QAD HDX, Stokerized 10" Hunter
                          GT Velocity XT arrows , G5 Magloc Compact Quiver

Comment

Originally posted by deerct101 View Post
                            I have a rifle and slug gun, bought tags an may go out once or twice. I prefer muzzle loading over rifle. Bow hunting is more fun for me over any type hunting.
                            X2. I started bow hunting just for the longer season, and more oppertunities. As it has all turned out, I have learned to be a better hunter as a result. Befor that I did'nt know s:censored2:t.
                            XI Legund Mag..........60+ Whitetails, 4 Bear
                            09 Z28, 60# 29", ......2 Whitetails
                            09 GT500, 60# 29", ...4 Whitetails

Comment

I prefer bowhunting as well but when the freezer gets low a gun is a must for me

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
                              Dirty Bird Special a Yeti Production
                              : 29.5"/62#-LD Pro V-Stokerized stabilizer-G5 Rock 4-pin sight

29/70# GTO AT edition with Max1 limbs & Yeti side plates
                              Apache drop away-Easton Axis Nfused

Comment

Working...
                              X