X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peep Rotation from Various Builders

I've had and used strings from numerous reputable strings builders: Stage 1, Vapor Trail, H&M, Croft, Drop Tine, etc., so its not a isolated incedent, but here's my question... When you buy a custom set of strings, should the peep rotate into the correct eye alignment position as the bow is drawn, or should the peep never rotate as you draw the bow.

Typically, I end up setting the dloop straight back with the peep about 1/8 - 1/4 turn to the side, the side depending on which way the twists are. On the draw, the peep rotates into the correct posistion. Is the normal, or should the peep be in alignment the whole draw cycle?
    2014 Elite Energy 35 - Black 30/60 www.elitearchery.com
    Honey Creek Outdoors- Grove, OK https://www.facebook.com/honeycreekoutdoors
    Black Eagle Arrows www.blackeaglearrows.com

I have found that once everything has settled in the peep should not rotate on the draw...A few years ago i would set up for rotation as that the strings back then would take quite awhile to settle. Today the strings and cables are of higher quality and built under more tension.. Hope this helps.

Comment

Stage One on my GT500. Peep comes straight back. H&M on a Hoyt. That peep also comes straight back. That string has not shot much more than a hundred arrows. Stage One has been shot a lot.
      '09 GT500

Comment

My experience though limited is that like Dv8tion said once everything is settled it is usually ok. still maybe a little twist on some bows and zero on other ones!

Comment

I build my own. Usually when i see the peep rotate as the bow is drawn, it is from one of two things... 1- i rushed the string onto the bow, meaning that i should have let it set on the tensioner with XXXlbs longer( I blocked that out to keep that out of the debate if one starts) so that the twists in the string equaled out under the servings.
          2- that i put on a serving in the opposite rotation of what the string needed. (this will cause the peep to all ways rotate a small amount when the bow is draw, where version one will equal out and allow the string to be twisted so that the peep does not rotate when the bow is drawn)
          I think the quality of today's strings are much better and usually what your seeing is a result of a lot of tension being put on the end servings as they are wrapped.

if you want to remove the peep rotation you can build a rail to tension the string for a day or two. (you might have to add a twist or two after doing this to get the string to proper spec at 100 lbs tension)
          JMHO
          Abstracted Member of the TEXAS BOYS

Comment

I have had numerous sets of Stage 1 Strings and never had a bit of peep rotation on any set, even after 2 years of shooting.
            Stage 1 Strings PS, Slick Trick PS, Gold Tip AS, Trophy Blend Scents PS, Bohning SS, CarboMask PS, Spot Hogg PS, Dead Center Archery PS, TightSpot PS, Team QAD, Tenzing FS, Swarovski Field Tech

Comment

Sounds like I'm actually putting the strings in a 'bind' of sorts by setting the bow up this way, actually causing un-needed rotation. Instead of using half twist/untwists of the shoot string to get the peep to proper alignment, I've been forcing the peep into alignment using my dloop. This is not the relaxed or neutral postion for the string when its drawn.

I wonder if this has any adverse effects to string life, tuning, or shootability?

Comment

rotating the D-loop while cause the Center Serving to loosen and possible change the nock height ( when done several times or over and over)

i do it also at times but usually it is one slight offset movement then it stays there. (meaning i move the D-loop a 1/8 turn to be straight with the peep and then leave it there. )

Comment

Originally posted by wassaw View Post
                  rotating the D-loop while cause the Center Serving to loosen and possible change the nock height ( when done several times or over and over)

i do it also at times but usually it is one slight offset movement then it stays there. (meaning i move the D-loop a 1/8 turn to be straight with the peep and then leave it there. )
                  Once the dloop is set, bringing the peep into correct eye alignment rotation, it doesn't spin or rotate on the serving.

I'm doing what you do, but much more drastically, you are doing minor corrections where I'm sometimes doing a 1/4 turn. I clearly see now, this is not the correct way to do it.

Comment

I've had this happen a couple times. Just recently I had one turn a full 1/4 turn and asked for a replacement. The new one never moved an bit from the time it was installed.

Just for info Wassaw. You say if one turns to stretch it for a day. Under how much tension would you recommend it be left for that time or is that the xxx amount you don't want to mention?
                    E35 Max 1
                    2010 Z28 Max 1
                    Target rig...To Be Announced

Comment

[QUOTE=pbuck;490153]I've had this happen a couple times. Just recently I had one turn a full 1/4 turn...QUOTE]

I guess I've been fortunate, once set, I've haven't ever had them change thier amount of rotation, from all the various builders.

Comment

i go up around 200 and let it sit like that over night. usually i need to add 1-2 twist to get it back to proper length at 100lbs which is what i use to spec the string length.

this is only when i know something is going on under the serving. ( the peep is straight and proper when at brace but when drawing back it twists off center)

if the peep is a 1/4 turn off at brace and is the same at full draw, i just add a twist or subtract a twist from the string to get it centered. ( you don't need to put that on a tensioner to correct)

Comment

Thanks. On the string I just got the peep was 1/4 turn off at brace but came around at full draw.
                          E35 Max 1
                          2010 Z28 Max 1
                          Target rig...To Be Announced

Comment

remember that these guys building the strings are making them to spec "without" a peep in. the peep takes off length when you insert it between the strands. AND when you insert the peep you need to make sure you have "balanced" strands on either side of the peep. you can see when you split the strands if one strand is coming from a different area, it will be overlapping other strands. this can cause a turning also. twist rate i think is the word i'm looking for. even after the peep is put in and served that area may have a slightly different twist rate than the rest of the string and will need to balance out from shooting or stretching.

Peeps can be frustrating!

Comment

I have only ever had bad peep rotation on one set of custom strings and that was from 60X who seem to have a good reputation. Maybe when a company gets busy they hurry them through a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X