Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roller Guards vs Cable Slides…Which one is faster ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roller Guards vs Cable Slides…Which one is faster ?

There has been controversy about this issue for a long time, and I decided to test it.

Does a roller guard reduce frictional losses that result in a speed gain as compared to a cable slide?

I determined to find out once and for all, what the truth is and what is myth and fiction.

Test Bow…G5 Primal…28” DL set at 57.5#...340 grain arrow
    Chronograph…Pro Chrono

First I had to determine how to do the test so that the results would be accurate and repeatable.
    Here is the testing procedure;

(A) With NO cable slide installed and no cable offset at all, cables contacting nothing with zero friction….
    Shoot (5) arrows and average FPS

(B) Then install cable slide (offset to clear tall Blazer height vanes)

Here are the results…both setups resulted in 275 fps…a net change of ZERO. The results of test (A) was 275 fps with zero frictional loss, test (B) with the additional cable slide friction resulted in ZERO change in FPS.

The addition of rollers cannot improve or increase FPS due to lower friction, rollers cannot produce less friction than test (A)…which has zero friction.

The obvious conclusion is that the small increase in friction with a cable slide was of no performance loss.

Roller guards may improve wear, but certainly cannot be faster that zero friction..

The idea roller guards increase speed is a myth and a fiction at best.

Thanks
    Joe

Is was my understanding that the roller guard worked much the same way as the BowTurbow did in that it held the cables forward during the draw cycle increasing load on the limbs which in turn increased performance.

Comment

The bow Turbow really doesn't increase bow performance it increases weight during draw cycle. If you increase the weight with a cable slide you get increase speed also.
      Life should be measured by how many selfless acts of kindness someone does to positively influence somebody else's life.

Gt500,Bodoodle,Bstinger,
      Easton fatboys, 28" DL, 53lbs

Comment

Correct !

Originally posted by Ray Ray View Post
        The bow Turbow really doesn't increase bow performance it increases weight during draw cycle. If you increase the weight with a cable slide you get increase speed also.
        Hello,
        This answer is exactly correct.
        Thanks
        Joe

Comment

Well thats cool to know. I ordered a saunders hyper glide that I have yet to receive. It has rollers in it.....I really bought it only to reduce wear on the cables. We'll see how it works. Ive heard from a few people on this forum that they are pretty good.
          2010.5 60# Z28 Real Tree
          Elite 7" Stabilizer
          HHA Slider sight
          G5 Expert 2 arrow rest
          Tree Limb Premium Quiver
          Harvest Time Arrows/Deer Crossing Archery Arrows
          Ramcat BH's

Comment

The Saunders roles on the rod not the cables. You'll like it. It interferes with my tight spot or it would be on my bow. It's taller on the back (roller) side.

Comment

Originally posted by Jbehredt View Post
              The Saunders roles on the rod not the cables. You'll like it. It interferes with my tight spot or it would be on my bow. It's taller on the back (roller) side.
              Oh really. Shoot, I was under the impression the rollers were for the cables. Huh, no biggie. I will still use it. I was just hoping to cause less wear on my cables. They should almost design the cable slides with more of a rounded design, and have the openings at the top and bottom of the guide sort of taper off for a smoother area. This would eliminate alot of the problems everyone has with their cables. The straight flat area the cables currently ride against, with the sharp ends, puts too much pressure on the cables and causes more wear.
              2010.5 60# Z28 Real Tree
              Elite 7" Stabilizer
              HHA Slider sight
              G5 Expert 2 arrow rest
              Tree Limb Premium Quiver
              Harvest Time Arrows/Deer Crossing Archery Arrows
              Ramcat BH's

Comment

Originally posted by oldbuck View Post
                There has been controversy about this issue for a long time, and I decided to test it.

Does a roller guard reduce frictional losses that result in a speed gain as compared to a cable slide?

I determined to find out once and for all, what the truth is and what is myth and fiction.

Test Bow…G5 Primal…28” DL set at 57.5#...340 grain arrow
                Chronograph…Pro Chrono

First I had to determine how to do the test so that the results would be accurate and repeatable.
                Here is the testing procedure;

(A) With NO cable slide installed and no cable offset at all, cables contacting nothing with zero friction….

(B) Then install cable slide (offset to clear tall Blazer height vanes)

Here are the results…both setups resulted in 275 fps…a net change of ZERO. The results of test (A) was 275 fps with zero frictional loss, test (B) with the additional cable slide friction resulted in ZERO change in FPS.

The addition of rollers cannot improve or increase FPS due to lower friction, rollers cannot produce less friction than test (A)…which has zero friction.

The obvious conclusion is that the small increase in friction with a cable slide was of no performance loss.

Roller guards may improve wear, but certainly cannot be faster that zero friction..

The idea roller guards increase speed is a myth and a fiction at best.

Thanks
                Joe
                Nice test Joe.
                No ifs and or buts Just maybee.

Comment

Working...
                X