No announcement yet.

Handheld Release Shooters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason you want you to have your hand at a flatter angle is better leverage on the release making it easier to fire with backtension. Tightening your back muscles rotates the arm around the shoulder joint and having you release flatter will get more action on the release. That is the why, but I am a firm believer in what ever is working well for you is OK.
    "The Yankee Bowman"
    ----------------------------------------
    '08 LH GT500-65lb Next G1 ​sold
    09 LH Z28-70lb AP sold
    '09 LH Z28-60lb AP sold
    '10 LH XLR-60lb AP Snow sold
    '11 LH Elite Pure-70lb Max 1 sold
    '12 LH Elite Answer-70lb-AP Black ​​sold
    '13 LH Hoyt Procomp Elite XL-60lb- Orange with Black hardware
    '14 LH Hoyt Faktor 34-65lb- AP

Comment

i have a weird way of drawing back (since i have punched my self in the nose a few times)
      i extend my thumb, draw bow with hand horizontal and when i get close my thumb cuts across my neck (that sign for cutting the throat). then i place my pointer finger first knuckle at the intersection of my jawbone and earlobe. i then make sure my pointer finger is in line with jawbone (takes about 2 seconds for all of that) then align peep and sight ring, glance at the bubble, check grip on the bow mentally, then focus on the target while flexing my chest outwards and breathing (now is when the vision narrows in, quick glance at the bubble) and then pressure is applied to the grip while extending the elbow backwards. pow! then the OH Sh.. where did it hit thought???
      Abstracted Member of the TEXAS BOYS

Comment

Originally posted by TEXAS 10PT View Post
        I do it just like you Geno. I draw back with top of hand facing upwards then I rotate my hand so my knuckles are facing my jawbone. Don't know if its right or not but I've been shooting that way for years.

TEXAS
        yep. that's the way I'll keep doing it. It works for me and feels natural.
        I read the article again today. Randy Ulmer wrote it, but he did say to do what is comfortable.
        2014 E32
        2011 PULSE AP
        TUNER OF BOWS BY LONG DISTANCE
        Member of the JURY MEMBER OF THE LEFTY BROTHERHOOD

"If it ain't broke , I can MAKE it better".
        Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Comment

Originally posted by wassaw View Post
          i'd say you have good form as far as where the release is and elbow (posture)
          Click image for larger version

Name:	a8d29d2fc86580838640aa89d74adec2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	25486

Name:	84e2ccfa0ccb6088b2881315f45e56d2.jpg
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	25487
          yeah, that's the way I hold.
          2014 E32
          2011 PULSE AP

Comment

i have a weird way of drawing back (since i have punched my self in the nose a few times)
            i extend my thumb, draw bow with hand horizontal and when i get close my thumb cuts across my neck (that sign for cutting the throat).
            I draw with my thumb down and extended Steve. I'm afraid I'll trigger the release if I close my hand up on the release.
            I've punched myself too. Keeping my thumb extended took care of that.
            2014 E32
            2011 PULSE AP

Comment

i'd say you have good form as far as where the release is and elbow (posture)

Name:	a8d29d2fc86580838640aa89d74adec2.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	25486

Name:	84e2ccfa0ccb6088b2881315f45e56d2.jpg
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	25487
              Cool you dug up some pictures where my beard had less gray.....Thank you!!!!

TEXAS
              2011 PURE MAX 1
              2014 ENERGY 35 XTRA
              2015 SYNERGY MAX 1
              Elite Archery Pro Staff
              Proud Member of the Texas Boys
              BH and HTC Nashville

Comment

Originally posted by TEXAS 10PT View Post
                Cool you dug up some pictures where my beard had less gray.....Thank you!!!!

TEXAS
                I would like to grow a beard but I'm tooo grey in the face.
                2014 E32
                2011 PULSE AP

Comment

Originally posted by archer58inPA View Post
                  I read an article in Peterson's Bowhunting today about the proper hand position to use for a hand held (or thumb) release.
                  According to this guy, I'm doing it wrong.
                  I shoot a Pro Diamond Extreme and put the back of my hand against my face with the knuckles of my pointer finger and middle finger at the corner of my jawbone.My little finger up. It seems to be pretty good so far. I've done it this way for 5 years or better.
                  The guy that wrote the article says you should hold your hand the same as you would a wrist release.
                  With the back of your hand flat and facing upward and anchoring with your pointer finger knuckle behind the jawbone.
                  What???
                  How does everyone do it? My way or the article's way?
                  If you hold your hand in the later position, how's it working for you?
                  I do it your way. Works good for me. I like the feel of a consistent anchor that way. The range where I shoot at is split about 50/50 as far as the people I see shooting there. I shoot with a Tru Ball Ultra Extreme (targets) and shoot with a Pro Diamond Extreme (hunting), both with rotating heads.
                  Last edited by wdriver; 03-23-2012, 12:28 AM.
                  GT500 Ninja (Predator's Archery)
                  Bowtech 82nd Airborne
                  Bowtech Guardian

Comment

I just saw an episode of Bowhunting TV and Randy Ulmer was saying that the palm out, elbow high was the method to use. That's how I've been doing it. Opposite of the magazine article. Hmmm....
                    GT500 Ninja (Predator's Archery)
                    Bowtech 82nd Airborne
                    Bowtech Guardian

Comment

for me its about comfort and being able to repeat over and over. if you ever walk a major archery tourney you will see variations from 1 top pro to another.
                      Envy 4 times
                      GT 500
                      E-FORCE
                      ENERGY 35

Comment

Originally posted by Maybee-R View Post
                        Use to do it like you Geno. It was easier to lower my shooting elbow and make the release go off kinda like relaxing enough for it to fire.
                        I spent some years at this and found flat is the best way to stay honest for me. I do know going from up to flat changes POI. I had a long road of left to rights before I figured that one out. Shooting a loop I just think its better if you dont twist it with the release head.
                        if you use a really limp d-loop material minamal tourque on string if any at all. IMO
                        Envy 4 times
                        GT 500
                        E-FORCE
                        ENERGY 35

Comment

Carter Chocolate Addiction , back of hand flat against face. Inside Out hinge release hand perpendicular to face in other words palm towards the ground. Just what seems to work best for me with each release. OMA
                          2014 E35 AP Snow 60lb 31''
                          2013 Pure AP Snow 60lb 31''
                          2010 Judge Anthracite Metallic 60lb 30''
                          2011 Tour AP Snow 60lb 31'' Dead Center Archery Products Factory Staff
                          Light travels faster than sound .... thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm shooting a Spott Hogg Saturday Night Special. I like to try the "flat hand" method and it looks like it would work better. But if Im not really careful with that release I'll trigger it just pushing close to my face in the flat fashion. I just feel more safe with my thumb twisted down. Going out right now and try the level flat way some more. I will say I've always thought the theory of not twisting my loop would be better.

I also have a Trufire thumb trigger release that the head swivels on so it doesn't twist the loop, but the trigger mechanism feels like poop on it. If I had a hybrid of those two releases it would be sweet.

09 Z28 27.5" 60# (Maybee-R tuned)
                            09 GT500 (with 2010 cams)27.5" 60#

Comment

Originally posted by wdriver View Post
                              I just saw an episode of Bowhunting TV and Randy Ulmer was saying that the palm out, elbow high was the method to use. That's how I've been doing it. Opposite of the magazine article. Hmmm....
                              That's interesting. Unless he didn't actually write the article.
                              I must have read his article 5 times to be sure I was reading it right. I was.
                              2014 E32
                              2011 PULSE AP

Comment

Originally posted by woodbooger View Post
                                for me its about comfort and being able to repeat over and over. if you ever walk a major archery tourney you will see variations from 1 top pro to another.
                                Originally posted by woodbooger View Post
                                if you use a really limp d-loop material minamal tourque on string if any at all. IMO
                                I agree. With both posts. I also had a pic taken of my hand at full draw and its not completely flat. my hand is but the release is canted slightly. I think what makes you consistent is more important. I do know thinking about it will distract you.
                                No ifs and or buts Just maybee.

Comment

Working...
                                X