finally got rid of the metallic thud from my GT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally got rid of the metallic thud from my GT

just thought i would share. i researched and tried rubber behind the shaft of the string stop, tried adjusting it in and out touching, not touching. finally tried a bowjax slide silencer slid it over adjusted to barely off the sring and shot. holy crap the bow was as quiet as ever. so in case anyone else was looking to eliminate the noise maybe this will help you out.
    09 GT500 Next G1 Camo reverse AT

28" 66# 391 grains @ 287fps Baldy tuned.

Originally posted by rlowde0f View Post
    just thought i would share. i researched and tried rubber behind the shaft of the string stop, tried adjusting it in and out touching, not touching. finally tried a bowjax slide silencer slid it over adjusted to barely off the sring and shot. holy crap the bow was as quiet as ever. so in case anyone else was looking to eliminate the noise maybe this will help you out.
    That is good information. Would you be able to post pictures of what you did? Thanks
    2010 Elite Z28 AP 70lbs 29"
    2012 Elite Answer AP 60lbs 29"
    2013 Elite Pulse Ninja 60lbs 29"
    2013 Elite Answer Ninja 70lbs 29"

Comment

I was also looking for ways to deaden my GT500 and somebody had mentioned putting a piece of bowjax inside the base for the string stop. I did that and also bought a Limbsaver sharpshooter x-ring that is designed for rifles and put it on the string stop base.

Comment

Interesting that might have been what was making my Pure so loud. First I thought something had to be really loose because it was such a metallic sound combined with a loud slap, I figured the slap was from the string stop but I checked all the bolts/screws/mods etc., trying to figure out the metallic sound. It was significantly more quiet without the string stop installed and a couple monkey tails than with. I tried moving the string stop in and out as well and doing the "credit card" gap thing and it didn't make much difference.

If it's the end of the Al shaft of the string stop "rattling" against the inside of the mount hole I wonder if there's enough room to wrap some electrical tape around it just enough to get it snug enough so it doesn't rattle in there at the shot.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHun View Post
          That is good information. Would you be able to post pictures of what you did? Thanks
          i just sent her out to get a string and tune. as soon as she comes back i will post a picture of it. and if i have time i may try to get a sound bite before and after.

Comment

this would be cool to see
            GT500-Code red rest,Trophy taker V5 sight

Comment

i just sent her out to get a string and tune. as soon as she comes back i will post a picture of it. and if i have time i may try to get a sound bite before and after.
              That would be great, thank you. Looking forward to seeing the difference. I think my Pulse could benefit from your mod.

Comment

TTT. Any updates to report?

Comment

not yet. baldy has it for at least 2 weeks from now as soon as i get her back i promise to work on it.

Comment

not yet. baldy has it for at least 2 weeks from now as soon as i get her back i promise to work on it.
                    Did you send it to Baldy's in OH? If Ken is working on your bow you won't be sorry. He does tremendous work. I usually stop there quite regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHun View Post
                      Did you send it to Baldy's in OH? If Ken is working on your bow you won't be sorry. He does tremendous work. I usually stop there quite regularly.
                      yeah ken has her. making a string, putting on a limb driver and tuning her all up. should be awesome when i get her back!

Comment

Here's what I did with my GT500 to help deaden the sound from the string stop rod.

- take a piece of scrap string leech, bowjax, etc.
                        - remove string stop rod
                        - cut scrap from leech, bowjax, etc down to fit inside hole in string stop rod base and push it in
                        - reinstall string stop rod

I didn't take my stop rod off for the pics because it wasn't moving easily so I left it as is. But you get the idea.

Comment

i tried that nicko it didn't fix mine. but to show the other guys i bought a cable slide dampner from bowjax and slid it over the string stop rod to right where nicko's finger is pointing.
                          Originally posted by nicko View Post
                          Here's what I did with my GT500 to help deaden the sound from the string stop rod.

- take a piece of scrap string leech, bowjax, etc.
                          - remove string stop rod
                          - cut scrap from leech, bowjax, etc down to fit inside hole in string stop rod base and push it in
                          - reinstall string stop rod

I didn't take my stop rod off for the pics because it wasn't moving easily so I left it as is. But you get the idea.

Comment

I can't say I noticed much of a change from it either. I read about somebody doing and felt I had nothing to lose.

Comment

For those waiting I got the GT back today and have not got to shoot her yet. But here is a pic of the bowjax installed, and as promised as soon as I get some time I will shoot the with and without video for comparison.

Comment

Working...
                              X