X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning...where to begin?

I'm working on tweaking my Rev'd E500 and Im new to the tuning game. I have a press, drawboard, scale, and everything (except a vise) to get to work on this bad boy. This is what I have so far.

-AMO Draw Length at approx 28.7" with the #4(28.5") Rev cams...........I'd like to be closer to 29"
    -Draw Weight seems to be maxing at 65.8 lb. with the 135 deflection limbs (50-60lb)
    -I'm hitting peak weight about 7 1/4" into the draw
    -My letoff seems to be 84% as I am holding about 10 lb. at full draw
    -My ATA is 33 7/8"
    -Brace is 7 1/4"
    -And my cams seem to be synced just past the middle dot on the cams with both stops touching the limbs at the same time
    (so not full rotation of the cams yet)
    -When I installed my new cams and limbs I am pretty sure I used the same size shims on both the string and cable side

I also have some cam lean at brace and a little less lean at full draw with both cams leaning toward the cable side of the bow. I will post up some pics of the lean.

My question is....where do I start? Do I need to figure out what is causing the lean and eliminate that first? Or should I start with getting the draw weight down, draw length a little longer, and figure out how to get the peak weight in the 6-6.5" range? This may be less complicated than I am making it out to be, but I'm a newb to tuning my own bows. Any help anyone can offer is much appreciated.
    2012 Elite Tour
    2010 Elite Z28

This is at brace with my bow square against the cam

Sent from Tapatalk
    2012 Elite Tour
    2010 Elite Z28

Comment

And this is at full draw with my bow square against the top cam

Sent from Tapatalk
      2012 Elite Tour
      2010 Elite Z28

Comment

pm sent.

Send a pm to Texas10pt. He will have the spacer sizes you need to use.

Comment

In general, on any tuning issue the place to start is to measure your string and cables under 100lbs tension to ensure they are in spec. This avoids a lot of wasted time in tuning. If done with precision, it only takes a few twists here and there to get it perfectly in tune. Skip this step, and you will waste many hours and endure unnecessary frustration.
          15 Elites - 1 GTO, 3 E-500s, 1 Synergy, 2 SynXTs, 4 Envys, a 2008.5 Z28, 2 2008.5 GT500, a Aigil, Impulse
          2 K&K Vengeance , 2011 PSE Axe 6, 2011 Hoyt Carbon Element, Four Tributes and one Allegiance

Frankenbow Freak

Comment

Sorry to hijack onto the thread , but also have a Q on this as well ..... I strongly agree with bfoot on that method to get started ..... My Q is , how do you actually get the cams to rotate in one direction or the other .. The tune chart doesnt seem to be correct . For example , Lo get the cams say on a gt500 to be able to rotate even more at the end of the draw cycle , would you take twists out of the cables and add twists to the string or vice versa ..
            Elite Dealer Sports Center ​Vicksburg , MS 601-638-4262

Comment

Thanks guys. I will take my string and cables off and find a way to measure them under 100 lb. of tension and go from there.
              2012 Elite Tour
              2010 Elite Z28

Comment

Originally posted by WCork View Post
                I'm working on tweaking my Rev'd E500 and Im new to the tuning game. I have a press, drawboard, scale, and everything (except a vise) to get to work on this bad boy. This is what I have so far.

-AMO Draw Length at approx 28.7" with the #4(28.5") Rev cams...........I'd like to be closer to 29"
                -Draw Weight seems to be maxing at 65.8 lb. with the 135 deflection limbs (50-60lb)
                -I'm hitting peak weight about 7 1/4" into the draw
                -My letoff seems to be 84% as I am holding about 10 lb. at full draw
                -My ATA is 33 7/8"
                -Brace is 7 1/4"
                -And my cams seem to be synced just past the middle dot on the cams with both stops touching the limbs at the same time
                (so not full rotation of the cams yet)
                -When I installed my new cams and limbs I am pretty sure I used the same size shims on both the string and cable side

I also have some cam lean at brace and a little less lean at full draw with both cams leaning toward the cable side of the bow. I will post up some pics of the lean.

My question is....where do I start? Do I need to figure out what is causing the lean and eliminate that first? Or should I start with getting the draw weight down, draw length a little longer, and figure out how to get the peak weight in the 6-6.5" range? This may be less complicated than I am making it out to be, but I'm a newb to tuning my own bows. Any help anyone can offer is much appreciated.
                bfoot is correct and I believe the important aspect of making an E-500 work with Rev cams is having the correct length string and cables. I have #3 Rev cams on mine and I get a 29.5" draw AMO. My BH is 7 1/4 and my ATA is 34". I have a set of custom Barnsdale 6 layer limbs on mine and the shim on the cable side is .095 and the string side is somewhere between .030 and .040 (sorry can't remember the exact number). I'm getting right at 70lbs with 114 deflection limbs. I would think that your 135 limbs would top out at 62-63lbs all else being equal. What harness specs are you using?

TEXAS
                2011 PURE MAX 1
                2014 ENERGY 35 XTRA
                Elite Archery Pro Staff

Proud Member of the Texas Boys
                BH and HTC Nashville

Comment

My harness spec is: cables = 38 9/16", string = 57 5/8"
                  2012 Elite Tour
                  2010 Elite Z28

Comment

Would anyone have any extra .095", .030", .035", or .040" shims they would sell me?
                    2012 Elite Tour
                    2010 Elite Z28

Comment

Originally posted by cmillett79 View Post
                      Sorry to hijack onto the thread , but also have a Q on this as well ..... I strongly agree with bfoot on that method to get started ..... My Q is , how do you actually get the cams to rotate in one direction or the other .. The tune chart doesnt seem to be correct . For example , Lo get the cams say on a gt500 to be able to rotate even more at the end of the draw cycle , would you take twists out of the cables and add twists to the string or vice versa ..
                      put twist into the cable attaching to the bottom of the cam to advance the cam in a counterclockwise direction.
                      ​This would move the timing hole shown on bottom of this cam away from the limb

Comment

Originally posted by WCork View Post
                        My harness spec is: cables = 38 9/16", string = 57 5/8"
                        Yep those are the specs I got from Ben and Dusty. You are on the right track brother. I would think you just need the right shims and get your harness to the right length and you'll be there.

TEXAS
                        2011 PURE MAX 1
                        2014 ENERGY 35 XTRA
                        Elite Archery Pro Staff

Proud Member of the Texas Boys
                        BH and HTC Nashville

Comment

Awesome. Thanks. Just took my harness off, so now to find shims and measure string and cables.

There was a thread recently about how people measured there strings under tension. I searched but couldnt find it. Anybody know the thread im talking about?

Sent from Tapatalk
                          2012 Elite Tour
                          2010 Elite Z28

Comment

Originally posted by cmillett79 View Post
                            Vice Versa! Shorter cables and or longer string = longer DL which is more rotation. shorter cables and shorten the string will rotate the timing holes and keep weight and length closer But shorten the ATA.
                            No ifs and or buts Just maybee.

Comment

Working...
                            X