X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand held vs. Strap type release

Could anyone chime in on the pros and cons of hand held releases?I am tempted to try one but they don't seem to be used all that often for hunting. I haven't been around many target shooters to know what they use. Are they more accurate? I wondering about the back of the hand toward the face shooting style.
    Thanks
    GT500 Ninja
    E500 AT
    XLR Gloss Black

I was also wondering if the release type has any effect on your draw length.
    GT500 Ninja
    E500 AT
    XLR Gloss Black

Comment

I use a Chappy Boss as my primary release for target and hunting. I have been using it for the last 3 years and did notice better accuracy when I moved to it from my Winn Free Flight C-10. I use a Carter Quickie for my back-up when I hunt as it is small and I can throw it in my pocket and not know it is there. Between the two types of releases i personally shoot better with the Chappy Boss than I do with the strap styles.

My $.02
      Z28 28" 60lb
      CJ Supreme DN2
      QAD HD
      Sims Modular

Comment

I switched from a Scott Mongoose to a Carter Chocolate Addiction 3 years ago because of target panic and punching the trigger on the Scott. I have found that I shoot much better with the Carter that has a thumb barrel trigger mechanism. This is all I use for hunting.

TEXAS
        2011 PURE MAX 1
        2014 ENERGY 35 XTRA
        Elite Archery Pro Staff

Proud Member of the Texas Boys
        BH and HTC Nashville

Comment

I use a hand held release for everything as well. I use a spike head 2 finger from Ideal. I had TP bad with a index finger release.
          Pros- silent operation
          no parts to fail
          cons- not straped to wrist(although the one I shoot now does have a strap)
          Not as quick of a shot(if done properly with back ten)though I can still punch one off quick when needed
          Last edited by L-train; 06-17-2008, 06:19 PM.

Comment

I use a Winn free flight glove style. I like it beacuse it makes my wrist, hand, and release feel as one. Plus there is no tension in my fingers, they just hang. I am a puncher though. It is also makes it easy to pull the bow back having the whole release fixed to your hand.

E
            Elite XLR
            Limb Driver, CarbonTech Cheetah 55/80
            G5 Montec, B-Stinger, FOBs, Sword Centurion

Comment

Originally posted by caseys101 View Post
              I was also wondering if the release type has any effect on your draw length.
              I say..... yes,for me it does hand held makes it feel longer
              2009 GT500 w/Cuda cams
              2010 PINK Judge

Comment

Originally posted by dch3k View Post
                I say..... yes,for me it does hand held makes it feel longer
                For some people that go from a wrist release to a hand held it changes their anchor point and that's why it might feel longer. It didn't change for me and it doesn't feel longer either. I don't think I could ever go back to a wrist release.

TEXAS
                2011 PURE MAX 1
                2014 ENERGY 35 XTRA
                Elite Archery Pro Staff

Proud Member of the Texas Boys
                BH and HTC Nashville

Comment

I am in the process of changing from a Scott Silver horn (wrist release) to a Stan SX2 (thumb release). I am shooting more accurately with the SX2, but it has been a steep learning/feeling curve...
                  Change is Mandatory - Growth is Optional

Comment

I like both. With the B.T. release its slow and surprising.(Targets)Most accurate.
                    With the trigger its try and control the squeeze.(hunting)
                    No ifs and or buts Just maybee.

Comment

I can't ever find a consistent anchor point with a hand release. I have an old Bear hand release that I keep in my pocket for emergencies and practice with on occasion, but my wrist release gets 90% of the action. I shoot about the same with each.
                      2006 NVG 6 5/8" BH Energy with Envy cams by S&S Archery
                      2006 AT NVG 8" BH Energy with Rev cams
                      B-Stinger, Spott Hogg, WB, ProLine, SilverFlames, Grim Reaper, Treelimb Premium, Victory

Comment

I use a carter Ember for target and hunting. I do most of my shooting at targets, so it feels natural for hunting. I tried a wrist release a while back, and just couldn't get as good of an anchor as the hand held. Plus, being draw length challenged, it adds about an inch over a wrist release.
                        2011 ninja Pure
                        2008 GTO, AT edition,70#

Comment

hand held thumb barrel trigger mechanism. because you don't have any tension on your thumb at full draw.this allows you to squeeze the trigger not punch. try shooting a strap release & then shoot thumb release. you will feel the tension on the top of your four fingers muscles. they are tight this prevents you from a proper shot. try this test you will know which one to shoot. with thumb release back of hand against jaw bone. 2nd part of your question strap release feels longer to most of our customers. most common error in a strap release is when you have to reach forward at full draw to put your finger on release . it should feel short in your hand when relaxed. when you pull bow back it will pull forward when you reach around for trigger your finger should be relaxed & in first joint. not straight. hope this helps

Comment

you should see my 10 year old daughter punch a thumb release the girl has some serious panic ....we have to work on her...maybe some BT
                            2009 GT500 w/Cuda cams
                            2010 PINK Judge

Comment

Back to the draw length question that I forgot to add my .02 for in my first post. Most of the wrist releases out now have adjustable straps and lengths of the nylon/rod for the actual release head so that you can make them fit better to your draw. With a proper adjusted wrist release you shouldn't see any draw change if you switch to a hand held.
                              Z28 28" 60lb
                              CJ Supreme DN2
                              QAD HD
                              Sims Modular

Comment

Working...
                              X