How slow is too slow?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How slow is too slow?

I know that in the years past bow were no where near as fast as they are today. That being said what is the slowest you would want for a hunting bow. All my shots are within 30 yards.

I have a 2013 Elite Hunter 60 lb weight and 28.5" draw. I would like to crank the bow down to 55 pounds just because it is easier to draw at that weight. I can shoot a 70 bow repeatedly with ease.

55 pounds will kill anything in North America. It's all about shot placement anyway. I hunt elk every year with a guy that shoots a 50 pound bow.

Comment

Shot placement and distance. You can lighten up your arrow as well. And if you are going to say 30 yards max, here is a tip for you to ensure that, don't have any other pins on your sight after 30. Put the 30 pin on your target and if it comes up short then you know it was too far!
      2014 Elite Energy 35 Realtree Xtra 70# 30" QAD HDx, MBG Vengeance, Stokerized SS1
      2013 Elite Answer Max-1 AT 70# 30" QAD HDx, MBG Vengeance, Stokerized SS1

Comment

Originally posted by Tug08 View Post
        I know that in the years past bow were no where near as fast as they are today. That being said what is the slowest you would want for a hunting bow. All my shots are within 30 yards.

I have a 2013 Elite Hunter 60 lb weight and 28.5" draw. I would like to crank the bow down to 55 pounds just because it is easier to draw at that weight. I can shoot a 70 bow repeatedly with ease.
        Not sure if you said what you meant to say. If you can pull 70# repeatedly with ease, then 60# should be easy to shoot repeatedly. Sounds like you might need another Hunter with 50 lb limbs. No one can own just one Elite.
        2014 Energy 35 Black
        2014 Energy 32 RTX
        2014 Spirit Max-1 (Wife's Bow)
        2012 Pure APS/Blk
        Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob1 View Post
          55 pounds will kill anything in North America. It's all about shot placement anyway. I hunt elk every year with a guy that shoots a 50 pound bow.
          Your right on the mark. I have killed a lot of animals with bows that shot under 200fps you know in the old days!!!!
          It comes down to three things shot placement, shot placement, shot placement!!!
          EAT, SLEEP, BOW HUNT!!!!!

Comment

Yep. I killed my water buffalo with an arrow that was only travelling at 213 fps but it hit with 87 lb. ft. of energy. Speed doesn't kill, shot placement and penetration kill.
            2012 Answer AT Max-1 71# 29.5"
            2013 Answer Snow 73#, 29.5"
            2014 Energy 35 RAT Snow 60#, 30"
            2014 Energy 35 Ninja 70#, 30"

Past Elites
            2009 Z28 70# & 80# 29.5" AP
            2010 Z28 70# 29.5" AP Snow
            2012 Tour 60# 29.5" AT AP Snow

Comment

If it bounces off the animal its too slow! I read an article few months back by fred eichler and it was about how he has taken many big animals grizzlies, alaskan moose etc with his 40# recurve and axis arrows. Too many people bit by speed bug.

Comment

Which will do more damage... A golf ball going 200mph or a baseball going 165?

Comment

I set a GTO up at 54lbs after shoulder surgery and took this dude early last spring.
                  Proud Member of the Texas Boys

GTO AT 29.5",Hogg It,TT Rest,FMJ Stingray Stab
                  GTO AT 29.5",Hogg It,TT Rest,FMJ
                  Aigil Black&Carbon,Hogg It Hunter,LD Rest,FMJ
                  Aigil SS 09Z Cams,Stage One,LD Rest,Centurion,Rattler Grips

Comment

Nice hog Mr Childress, sure as heck is ugly though. 50# is the minimum legal for elk in Oregon. For deer, it's 40#.
                    2014 Energy 35 Black
                    2014 Energy 32 RTX
                    2014 Spirit Max-1 (Wife's Bow)
                    2012 Pure APS/Blk
                    Semper Fi

Comment

How slow is too slow?

Originally posted by labonte.r View Post
                      If it bounces off the animal its too slow! I read an article few months back by fred eichler and it was about how he has taken many big animals grizzlies, alaskan moose etc with his 40# recurve and axis arrows. Too many people bit by speed bug.
                      Fred pulls a little more...#54. And kills lots of ****. Fred's a big dude. could def pull more but knows it's not necessary. 30.5" draw helps.

Comment

Working...
                      X