No announcement yet.

Poison Ivy, again!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cool thing about that medicine is that you also have no remorse for the way you treat everyone until weeks later.

09 Z28 27.5" 60# (Maybee-R tuned)
    09 GT500 (with 2010 cams)27.5" 60#

Comment

I feel your pain. We had a huge oak tree that broke and fell into the back yard a few years ago. I went out there with a chainsaw and spent all day cutting it up. Little did I know that the vines around the tree were poison oak and I basically sprayed myself with poison oak for hours. That is some nasty sh*t ! Took me 2 steroid shots, a couple bottles of Caladryl and a bunch of oatmeal baths. Think I battled that for 3-4 weeks. I am extremely cautious now, I won't even go into the woods without long sleeves and pants on, lol. Hope it clears up for you soon.

At least it's not on your junk......or is it? LOL
      2011 Pulse, AT/AP, 29.5"/72lbs
      HHA DS-5519, QAD HDX, Stokerized 10" Hunter
      GT Velocity XT arrows , G5 Magloc Compact Quiver

Comment

Me and a buddy were hanging treestands once several years ago. He squated to take a dump and didnt realize it but was all up in the Poison Ivy. He was also violently allergic to the stuff. He missed 2 weeks of work and had 3 trips to the Doc before he got it all cleared up. He said he had to lay on his back, with his legs spread and elevated like he was about to give birth, with a box fan blowing on his crotch for days.....

So anyway, it could always be worse

Comment

That is hilarious smash!
          2010 GT500 40lb
          2010 Judge 50lb harvest moon
          2012 Prime Shift LR 40lb Optifade Forest
          2014 Elite Energy 35
          Custom Strings starting at $45! To order, click link below!
          https://catfishcustoms.wufoo.com/for...stoms-strings/

Comment

Originally posted by Pulse76 View Post
            At least it's not on your junk......or is it? LOL

Hahahaha, not this time, but I have had it from front to back in that there region!

Comment

There are a ton of home remedies but this is something I know works and will at least let you sleep at night.
              Before going to bed run hot water, as hot as you can stand, over the area where the rash is. Then pat dry. This will immediately stop the itching and will last for up to a hour. Usually, it will give you enough time to fall asleep. You can also do this during the day for some needed relief. While you should use very hot water do not burn yourself and do not use water hotter than that that comes out of the hot water tap.

I feel your pain. Never had poison ivy until in my 50s and now I can look at it and get it.
              15 Elites - 1 GTO, 3 E-500s, 1 Synergy, 2 SynXTs, 4 Envys, a 2008.5 Z28, 2 2008.5 GT500, a Aigil, Impulse
              2 K&K Vengeance , 2011 PSE Axe 6, 2011 Hoyt Carbon Element, Four Tributes and one Allegiance

Frankenbow Freak

Comment

I agree 100% with the HOT water method. Home remedies are like most prescription medicines in that they only work for certain folks..but I would bet the hot water trick will work on everyone. I can get 8-9 hours of complete itch free relief from just hot water..i'm talking turn the water heater up HOT!! You get to scratch the h3ll out of it at the same time and to me its one of the best and worst feelings at the same time...BLISS!

If it don't work, put on your big boy pants and go hotter

Comment

The steroid shot is the best for sure. If you get prednisone tablets then take them in the mornings with food. If you get the pack you can actually take the whole days worth at one time, no big deal. Also, take Benadryl and use Ivarest.

Smash's story reminded me of a friend I had back home. He was in a tree sitting on a limb hunting. Well apparently he got bored and needed something to occupy his time. I will just say that while "occupying his time" he lost his balance and fell out of the tree and landed on some poison ivy. Yep, he got it on his manhood. The worse part is he ugh, ugh had a date. Yep she got "cat scratch fever".

Luckily for me I am not allergic to the stuff.

Comment

I guess while the stories are coming out I'll add my two cents.

Originally posted by DustyRx View Post
                    That's what I thought too. Use to do a lot of tree work and land clearing and never had a problem, still don't for the most part. Would be the go to guy when the area was loaded with the stuff. Most I would ever get is a little bit of an itch in scratches on the forearms. Never had it really blister up or spread. Even had one girl freind catch it from doing my laundry and I was fine. Then on one particular nasty job, in the heat of summer while keeping well hydrated had to take a leak. Probably should have been wearing gloves while working and probably would have been fine. Haven't got it since except for scratches and make sure I wash up before touching any skin that isn't exposed normally.

Comment

Dusty your story reminds me of the first time I got poison ivy..I was 17 and had recently starting seeing a new girl and she had it pretty bad. Like any teen guy in a new relationship, I didn't let that stop our fun. From that day on I can now get it from the plants as well..I used to could roll in it and never get one blister.

Off subject but I'm 36 now and believe I now have allergies for the first time

Originally posted by DustyRx View Post
                      The steroid shot is the best for sure. If you get prednisone tablets then take them in the mornings with food. If you get the pack you can actually take the whole days worth at one time, no big deal. Also, take Benadryl and use Ivarest.

Smash's story reminded me of a friend I had back home. He was in a tree sitting on a limb hunting. Well apparently he got bored and needed something to occupy his time. I will just say that while "occupying his time" he lost his balance and fell out of the tree and landed on some poison ivy. Yep, he got it on his manhood. The worse part is he ugh, ugh had a date. Yep she got "cat scratch fever".

Comment

Originally posted by benel3006 View Post
                        I guess while the stories are coming out I'll add my two cents.

That's what I thought too. Use to do a lot of tree work and land clearing and never had a problem, still don't for the most part. Would be the go to guy when the area was loaded with the stuff. Most I would ever get is a little bit of an itch in scratches on the forearms. Never had it really blister up or spread. Even had one girl freind catch it from doing my laundry and I was fine. Then on one particular nasty job, in the heat of summer while keeping well hydrated had to take a leak. Probably should have been wearing gloves while working and probably would have been fine. Haven't got it since except for scratches and make sure I wash up before touching any skin that isn't exposed normally.
                        We were taught in pharmacy school that everyone is eventually allergic to it if exposed enough times. For some that might be 1 time for others it might be 100.

Comment

When i was young I was definitely immune, now I am most vulnerable!!!!

09 Z28 27.5" 60# (Maybee-R tuned)
                          09 GT500 (with 2010 cams)27.5" 60#

Comment

I get poison ivy REALLY bad sometimes, and for me, nothing beats Zanfel. It's not cheap ($30-40 for a 1 oz. tube) but it works quicker than the steroid shot from a doctor.

Comment

Be careful about the Steroid shots, they work by reducing your immune response. If you have a disease, or the flu or any infection do not get a Steroid shot, it can cause your condition to worsen or take much longer for it to go away.
                              15 Elites - 1 GTO, 3 E-500s, 1 Synergy, 2 SynXTs, 4 Envys, a 2008.5 Z28, 2 2008.5 GT500, a Aigil, Impulse
                              2 K&K Vengeance , 2011 PSE Axe 6, 2011 Hoyt Carbon Element, Four Tributes and one Allegiance

Frankenbow Freak

Comment

I burned a brush pile back in Texas(Stagecoach Farms near Tomball) and it had some poison Ivy in the pile and my wife breathed the smoke. She was in the hospital for about a week and the Dr. gave her mega doses of cortizone and it ate up her thyroid glands.....She had open sores for a while and it was in her throat also. She is really afraid of that stuff.
                                Life is too short to live without a Quigley 45-70
                                www.broughtonart.webs.com
                                Sebastion Flute w/ Kaya limbs
                                Bear Kodiak Hunter
                                Athens Afflixtion

Comment

Working...
                                X