Fathers day Gun help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fathers day Gun help

For fathers day I would like to fix my dad's handgun. It was handed down to him by his father who brought it home during WWII. I have only seen/held it once so I will try to go be memery. It is a .357 double action 5 shot revolver. I was told it is a browning. The spring that pushes the hammer forward broke and about 15 years ago my dad tried to track down the replacement but the two gunsmiths that he talked to didn't want to handle the gun. Does anyone know where to track down parts for this gun.
    Mathews Switchback XT
    2009 Elite GT500

I don't know much about handguns so sorry if my terminology is off. To help me describe the gun better, it has about a 4 inch barrel, blued finish, and plastic grips. The grips were held on with 2 or 3 screws. The spring that broke looked to be a flat piece of metal that contacted the hammer and bottom of the grip frame. I don't remember seeing a safety on the gun.
    Mathews Switchback XT
    2009 Elite GT500

Comment

I believe Browning never made a Revolver. Maybe it is a Colt? May help in your search for parts
      In loveing memory
      ERIN KATHRINE HURR
      " NOODLE"
      12/09/00--3/23/10

Erin's Hope Project inc
      Our Mission:
      Through kindness and compassion, giving hope to children with life-threatening illnesses!

BELIEVE

Comment

I have been looking at parts websites. I may have to take a ride over there one day this week to see if I can get some covert pics to help with an identification. I would really like this to be a surprise. I Looked thru guns on a few websites and some of the colts remind my of the gun. The one thing I always notice on the colts is the safety on the right side of the gun between the grip and cylinder. I don't remember this gun having a safety. It just been so long since I have seen it. I would love to see if I could take it to a gun shop to get it fixed myself but that would be hard to do without him knowing and I would like it to be a suprise. Something tells me taking it without him knowing would be a bad idea.
        Mathews Switchback XT
        2009 Elite GT500

Comment

Originally posted by COWBOY View Post
          I believe Browning never made a Revolver. Maybe it is a Colt? May help in your search for parts

You're correct, Browning didn't make a revolver. He did however design the first auto pistol round- the 32 auto. Some manufacturers back in the day would stamp "Browning" on the top strap to increase sales. They're justification was the gun used the 32 auto Browning cartridge. So there's no telling who the maker was without pics and a closer examination of all the markings on the weapon.

So anyway, there's my useless knowledge for the day

Comment

Brownell's is pretty good source for parts ( www.brownells.com ) but you'll need specifics on gun, such as manafacturer, model and serial # if possible. Good luck

Comment

The gun was manufactured before 68 so it doesn't have a serial number. Which also means its not a colt because colt began putting serial number on all there guns as a way to track quality issues back in there early 1800s. At least know I know its not a browning or a colt.
              Mathews Switchback XT
              2009 Elite GT500

Comment

Alot of different companies manufacture guns during wars including companies that didn't even build guns before the war. I would contact some gunsmiths after finding out as much as you can. Your probably gonna have to send it to one anyway. They can make a leaf spring pretty easily.
                Member of the West Coast Elite Brew Crew

Comment

Update with pics
                  Mathews Switchback XT
                  2009 Elite GT500

Comment

From what I can tell its a S&W. I had a couple of details wrong. Its a. 38 and a break action.
                    Mathews Switchback XT
                    2009 Elite GT500

Comment

Correction thames arms company
                      Mathews Switchback XT
                      2009 Elite GT500

Comment

Looks like you have it figured out. The pics are similar to the Schofield or the SW model 3.
                        In loveing memory
                        ERIN KATHRINE HURR
                        " NOODLE"
                        12/09/00--3/23/10

Erin's Hope Project inc
                        Our Mission:
                        Through kindness and compassion, giving hope to children with life-threatening illnesses!

BELIEVE

Comment

Here is a for sale link for a parts gun that you might be interested in. http://www.gunsamerica.com/954271729...S_W_3_25_I.htm
                          In loveing memory
                          ERIN KATHRINE HURR
                          " NOODLE"
                          12/09/00--3/23/10

Erin's Hope Project inc
                          Our Mission:

BELIEVE

Comment

Working...
                          X