X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTO String Noise (Twang)

I purchased GTO bow new and I replaced my Mathews Switchback with it. I love the bow other than the twang that I hear after every shot. I first thought it was from the string hitting the rubber string stop, but that it not it. I then went through every accessory on the bow and removed them, to try and eliminate every thing. I still here the string twang. I even added string silencers to the bow and it is still there, so I have removed the string silencers from the bow, since I would rather not have them. I am shooting a 29" draw (73 lbs) with a 26" arrow (352 gr) at 330 fps. I am using one pin out to 43 yds and you can't hardly beat that. I have also had to request a replacement rubber string stop since it split off of the bow after only a few days of shooting. Has anyone else hear of this problem?

i had this problem, now this may sound stupid, but i was sure it wasent the bow, i checked everything on the bow and found the noise , i held the bow by the bottom limb and slapped the stabalizer lightly until i pinpointed the noise , it was a loose screw inside the sight.
    08 GTO Reverse AT

Comment

I have also shot it without the sight and it stll has the noise. I have stripped it down and back up again to no avail. Thanks

Comment

What rest are you using.

Comment

Is your string touching the string suppressor? If so adjust it back to leave a little room between the two. See if that helps.
          Limited Edition TA GTO 64# @ 28.5"
          Elite E 500 64# @ 28.5"
          The start of a love affair
          Ninja E Force...Black Thunder
          FMJ Silverflames/Phathead
          Posten Spot Hogg
          Ford Tough

Comment

twang

Have you replaced the bowjack silencers with Limbsavers? That fixed mine.
            2008 GTO G1 28" 70# LD tuned by Michael

Comment

I have also had to request a replacement rubber string stop since it split off of the bow after only a few days of shooting. Has anyone else hear of this problem?
              Do you have the string suppressor on it at all right now? If not, when you put it back on, back the string supressor off the string so that you can slide a business card in-between the string and the rubber stopper. You will have to work with the position until you find the "sweet spot", each bow has it's own. When you find it you will know.
              Did you see the size of that CHICKEN??????

it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'.

The 1st Annual EAF South Texas Porkapalooza....It's on Boys!!!!!!!

Comment

Keep in mind that you are shooting your bow at 73lbs and shooting a 352gr arrow. You are also shooting your bow with arrows that are under the limits of the 5 gpi rule and it is also a recipe for a loud bow. This is exactly one of the reasons I never hunt with any arrow that weighs less than 400grs. I even like heavier arrows than that. If you have checked everything else, I would take everyones advice and check the position of your string suppressor and then replace the BowJax with Sims Limbsaver Quads and see how it does. I still think that you may quiet the bow some but it will still be loud using that light of arrow.

TEXAS
                2011 PURE MAX 1
                2014 ENERGY 35 XTRA
                Elite Archery Pro Staff

Proud Member of the Texas Boys
                BH and HTC Nashville

Comment

check your cable guard rod mine have come loose on 3 elites and they can make quite abit of racket
                  09/10 GT 500 61LB
                  2010 Z28 62lb

Comment

Originally posted by TEXAS 10PT View Post
                    Keep in mind that you are shooting your bow at 73lbs and shooting a 352gr arrow. You are also shooting your bow with arrows that are under the limits of the 5 gpi rule and it is also a recipe for a loud bow. This is exactly one of the reasons I never hunt with any arrow that weighs less than 400grs. I even like heavier arrows than that. If you have checked everything else, I would take everyones advice and check the position of your string suppressor and then replace the BowJax with Sims Limbsaver Quads and see how it does. I still think that you may quiet the bow some but it will still be loud using that light of arrow.

TEXAS
                    +1 I think this is right on track, good advice. Your new bow is probably shooting 20 fps faster than the Switchback, more energy = more noise to silence, although I would not call the GTO loud anyway but louder than some with less performance.
                    Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not
                    me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've
                    traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Comment

You are definately shooting too light an arrow for that setup... Unless you want to start having issues with limbs breaking and arrows shattering.. I'd advice you to stiffen up your setup.. Just because you can shoot an arrow that light, doesn't mean you should.,.. I generally shoot at least a 400 grn arrow for hunting.. I go with the lighter arrows when shooting 3/D, but I also lower my poundage on my bow... YOu can always hear a huge difference in setups... The lighter the arrow setup,, The louder the noises... If you have to shoot that light an arrow.. Use double Limb Savers and string silencers I recon..But still back your poundage down to at least 70lbs with a 350 grn arrow...
                      2012 Elite Answer

As Iron sharpens Iron., So one man sharpens another...Prov:27:17

Comment

Originally posted by chap View Post
                        Have you replaced the bowjack silencers with Limbsavers? That fixed mine.
                        That is what I am going to try next. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by vanuch View Post
                          What rest are you using.
                          Muzzy Zero Effect.

Comment

Originally posted by labdad View Post
                            Is your string touching the string suppressor? If so adjust it back to leave a little room between the two. See if that helps.

I've already tried that too. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TEXAS 10PT View Post

TEXAS
                              I have backed the weight down to about 55 lbs and the noise is still there. I do not believe that it is an arrow weight problem since I have also shot another guys arrow that is 30" long and weighs far more than mine and the noise is still there. I have tried adding a 125 gr point and it is still the same noise. I was shooting 72 lbs on my Switchback with 400 spine arrows at 26 1/4" long with the Muzzy Zero Effect rest and it was whisper quiet. I understand that I am shooting a harder bow now, but I am also shooting the recommended spined arrow for that length and poundage. The arrows are Easton Axis Nfused at 9.0 gpi and I would consider that to be pretty heavy of an arrow. I really appreciate all of the help and ideas here!!! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X