Lets fix the way left centershot on the GT500

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets fix the way left centershot on the GT500

ok, I have been getting a ton of calls and quite a few bows sent to me by customers who are unhappy with their gt500's needing to be set up way left to tear a bullet on paper.

The fix is quite simple.

The issue that I have found in 90% of these bows is the spacers. If you have a quality caliper you will find that most stock gt500's come with a .070 spacer on the string side of the cam and a .055 on the cable side.

I find that if I stack two .045's on the string side to give me .09 and use a single .035 on the cable side of the cam the rest will paper tune much closer to the center of the shelf, around 3/4" to 7/8" typically as opposed to many which are over an inch.

These plastic spacers are available from elite. The .045's will be in a bag marked .5 and the .035's will be in a bag marked .40. My caliper measures different than theirs ;> Also, some are black plastic, some are brown plastic, doesn't matter, they are the same. Just make sure to measure them with a caliper before putting em in. Also remember thicker on the string side of the cam to move center shot closer to the riser.

They are dirt cheap and makes the center shot a lot more palatable, at least imo...

I'll be leaving for a western Ohio bowhunt late tonight and wont be back till next Sunday. If anyone has questions please use my regular email that goes to my blackberry and I'll try an get back to you.

michael.marzo@gs.com
    Mike
    Precision Archery, LLC
    Pittstown, NJ

Dealer for Elite and Strother Archery, Spott-Hogg, Vapor Trail Archery (Limb Driver), Firenock, Hooyman Saws (these saws are awesome for anyone who hasn't tried ...)

This is why I cant justify buying an elite yet. Why should I have to go through all that to get the thing to shoot straight. It should shoot straight right from the factory.

Comment

Is it good for the z28 or only the Gt500?

Comment

Originally posted by WidowMaker View Post
        This is why I cant justify buying an elite yet. Why should I have to go through all that to get the thing to shoot straight. It should shoot straight right from the factory.
        Its a small company in comparison to the "big guys" who have been at it a whole lot longer. Its a minor "glitch" and they are more than happy to fix it for you. But you can do it yourself too. They will get it all sorted out at some point. No one gets it all right all the time especially at the beginning. I'll tell you one thing, they are more than amicable to deal with and will do almost anything to make you happy. I'd like to see that from Hoyt, BT or Matthews, good luck.

I still feel that these bows outshoot anything else out there and most of you love tweaking your rigs anyway. Best of both worlds... ;>
        Mike
        Precision Archery, LLC
        Pittstown, NJ

Dealer for Elite and Strother Archery, Spott-Hogg, Vapor Trail Archery (Limb Driver), Firenock, Hooyman Saws (these saws are awesome for anyone who hasn't tried ...)

Comment

Originally posted by alain View Post
          Is it good for the z28 or only the Gt500?
          This technique should work on any of their rigs that are having way left of center issues.

You should check more obvious things first like fletch contact and spine issues, but if you clear those as potential "pain" points the spacers may get you where you want to be.
          Mike
          Precision Archery, LLC
          Pittstown, NJ

Comment

Does this spacer change void the warranty? Is it advised by Elite? Just curious.
            GT 500 70#, 30" dl, 385gr @ 326fps
            Stage 1/Fury X tuned
            Limb Driver
            B-Stinger
            Spot Hogg

Comment

Originally posted by dsa View Post
              Does this spacer change void the warranty? Is it advised by Elite? Just curious.
              I can't imagine it does, I have done this for more than 1 customer and did explain it to Kristen (at Elite) as she is the one who sent me the spacers.
              Mike
              Precision Archery, LLC
              Pittstown, NJ

Comment

I also hear about swapping limbs to fix the same issue. A question about that is there a top and bottom cam or are the same???
                "The Yankee Bowman"
                ----------------------------------------
                '08 LH GT500-65lb Next G1 ​sold
                09 LH Z28-70lb AP sold
                '09 LH Z28-60lb AP sold
                '10 LH XLR-60lb AP Snow sold
                '11 LH Elite Pure-70lb Max 1 sold
                '12 LH Elite Answer-70lb-AP Black ​​sold
                '13 LH Hoyt Procomp Elite XL-60lb- Orange with Black hardware
                '14 LH Hoyt Faktor 34-65lb- AP

Comment

Thanks for your time and effort. I am going to help a friend out and let him know about the spacers. He is having a rough time with his GT 500 and is dead set on doing all the tuning himself. This should get him going in the right direction; he cannot get rid of a right tear. We have tried everything: switched from a LD to a G5 expert II, tried several different arrow combinations and he still has problems. He does not enjoy the fact that my bow is grouping BH and field points together. Thanks again.
                  GT 500 70#, 30" dl, 385gr @ 326fps
                  Stage 1/Fury X tuned
                  Limb Driver
                  B-Stinger
                  Spot Hogg

Comment

Originally posted by standsitter View Post
                    I also hear about swapping limbs to fix the same issue. A question about that is there a top and bottom cam or are the same???
                    There is a top and bottom specific cam.

As far as limb swapps go, feel free to try it but the issue on the bows with the problem is where the string tracks. You can see it quite obviously if you have a laser.

I believe its a cam offset issue rather than a limb twist issue. Wouldn't the limbs simply twist the other way and create the opposite problem if it were that. Either way, I've had 100% success in fixing way left of center by using the spacer method so I'll stick with it for now.
                    Mike
                    Precision Archery, LLC
                    Pittstown, NJ

Comment

Thanks for the answer on the cams. I think the issue with the limbs is un-equal length. Search the forums it was clearly explained in detail by Elite themselves. I know I saw it very recently.
                      "The Yankee Bowman"
                      ----------------------------------------
                      '08 LH GT500-65lb Next G1 ​sold
                      09 LH Z28-70lb AP sold
                      '09 LH Z28-60lb AP sold
                      '10 LH XLR-60lb AP Snow sold
                      '11 LH Elite Pure-70lb Max 1 sold
                      '12 LH Elite Answer-70lb-AP Black ​​sold
                      '13 LH Hoyt Procomp Elite XL-60lb- Orange with Black hardware
                      '14 LH Hoyt Faktor 34-65lb- AP

Comment

Originally posted by marzomi View Post
                        I can't imagine it does, I have done this for more than 1 customer and did explain it to Kristen (at Elite) as she is the one who sent me the spacers.
                        Mike, if you already let the factory know there is a problem and they agreed there is a problem why don't they just take care of it at the factory? I was pretty much set on a Z28 for my bow but I have to agree with WidowMaker, customers and dealers don't need this grief especially with the price of todays bows. I guees I'll wait for this to get resolved because I still want an Elite.

Comment

Widowmaker and Beefdog,

I laid out $700.00 in 2007 for a Bowtech Tribute.

I immediately tossed the $1.00 cable slide and put on a Simms at about $18.00 because the factory part was junk.

I had to toss the strings and put on Vaportrails for about $65.00 because the factory wouldn't deal with the fact that their dealer ruined my string setting up their bow.

I cant tell you how many phone message I left and e-mails I sent to Bowtech trying to get string and cable lengths and help with tuning.

It was a nightmare.

I have nothing but praise for Elite and the way Kristin and others have helped me with my GT500.

When I called I immediately got someone who could actually help me. No message machines, no unanswered e-mails.

Just people who care about the products they build.

Yes, I have had some tuning issues, but when you can actually talk to the guy who designed the bow and get the help you need, well....thats a brand I believe in.

Proud to be in the Elite family!

Michael
                          08.5 GT500, 28.5", 69 lbs, 395gr, 309fps
                          Stage 1/Fury X Strings and Tuning
                          Sword, G5 Expert, B-Stinger, Fletcher Flathead, Slick Tricks

Comment

Originally posted by mbrown View Post
                            Widowmaker and Beefdog,

I laid out $700.00 in 2007 for a Bowtech Tribute.

I immediately tossed the $1.00 cable slide and put on a Simms at about $18.00 because the factory part was junk.

I had to toss the strings and put on Vaportrails for about $65.00 because the factory wouldn't deal with the fact that their dealer ruined my string setting up their bow.

I cant tell you how many phone message I left and e-mails I sent to Bowtech trying to get string and cable lengths and help with tuning.

It was a nightmare.

I have nothing but praise for Elite and the way Kristin and others have helped me with my GT500.

When I called I immediately got someone who could actually help me. No message machines, no unanswered e-mails.

Just people who care about the products they build.

Yes, I have had some tuning issues, but when you can actually talk to the guy who designed the bow and get the help you need, well....thats a brand I believe in.

Proud to be in the Elite family!

Michael
                            Thats what is so cool about this forum. and Im sure Elite is on top of any issues. I doubt you can buy a new bow with this same issue.
                            No ifs and or buts Just maybee.

Comment

THat seems to be an easy fix Marzomi,,,, I have also found that by sometimes just adding a very thin washer or two inbetween either side that had slop helped tremendously in keeping the limbs from twisting irreguarlly or if you have some cam lean... Either way mine ended up still with only 7/8" centershot which to me is respectable.. I just liked things tight and it seems to have helped.. Just don't ever spread the limbs apart to try and achieve tighre clearances because you could cause the limbs to split... Just take out the slop that exisits and no-more...
                              2012 Elite Answer

As Iron sharpens Iron., So one man sharpens another...Prov:27:17

Comment

Working...
                              X