Thread: Stan SX2 thumb release opinions

Default Stan SX2 thumb release opinions

I want to get some opinions on the Stan SX2 release, the green and gray one. This is not the newest model, it's the older one. I've been using a Scott Little Goose but gave it to my son who just started shooting. I've tried the Carter Target 4 on someone elses bow and loved it but can't afford one of those! I now understand the backtension principle and it hit me like a bolt of lightning! It now makes sense why BT is the way to go. I want the thumb release so I can safely draw back without fear of it going off since my basement target is small.
    SO, is this similar to the Carter Target 4 in operation?
    Beer Nuts are $1.69.....Deer nuts are still under a buck!
    Elite GTO

Respected Member Ten Point ccasanova's Avatar

I've never used the Carter, but I really like my SX2. It has tons of adjustability.
    2006 NVG 6 5/8" BH Energy with Envy cams by S&S Archery
    2006 AT NVG 8" BH Energy with Rev cams
    B-Stinger, Spott Hogg, WB, ProLine, SilverFlames, Grim Reaper, Treelimb Premium, Victory

Senior Member Forked Horn tomcat8794's Avatar

I have an SX2L and it is a great release. A lot of adjustability and I have a large hand and it fits me fine. Alot of people shoot carters two and they love them. Either release I don't think you can go wrong. Good luck.
    07 ENVY #301 30" 70# Mossy Oak Winter TA
    08 GTO/Envy 30" 70# Target Black
    09 Z28 SS Ninja 30" 70#
    09 Alien X 30" 70#
    Nobby Custom Strings
    Postenized

Rattler Grips

a great release. Very crisp trigger, very adjustable and is short from handle to hook. Also is a closed hook, so for hunting just hook it on your D loop and its ready.
    2011 ninja Pure
    2008 GTO, AT edition,70#

I got mine Sat. morning via USPS. It's not the SX2. Is there an older model called just SX that's all green and a one piece housing? It does not have as much adjustability as the SX2 and I don't know the model name. I love it though. The trigger doesn't even feel like it's moving. It's the 3 finger medium and my hands are smack between a medium and a large. If feels good in my hand even drawing back 70lbs which was a huge concern of mine, I was afraid of if slipping out of my hands. For less than half the price of a new one I couldn't be happier. It's very easy to use and I'm already about 200 arrows into it. Hitting alot of X's and 10's. Maybe I'll be one of the few to shoot a 300 60x with a GTO! at least I'll try.

Stan make a great release from what I can tell by mine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one and probably will get the SX2 in time.
    Beer Nuts are $1.69.....Deer nuts are still under a buck!
    Elite GTO

I am a fan of both the SX2 and Carter releases. I am shooting the SX2 right now and I love the adjustability of the release. I took off the arm on the thumb trigger and just put on the Carter barrel. That made all the difference in the world. I think you made a good choice.
    The Original Bear Whitetail
    2011 Elite Pure
    2012 Elite Tour
    2012 Elite Pulse

Team S.O.B. Spot On Bowstrings

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandad did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Junior Member Fawn grey squirrel's Avatar

Cool Stan SX2

I am a newbie to the backtension style of shooting also.
    I know what you mean by "bolt of lightning", it hit me too. LOL.
    I have been shooting a Stan SX2 for a couple weeks now and really love it.
    I have no trigger travel and trigger pressure I have set a 3 lbs. which allows me to put around 1-1.5lbs. of pre-pressure on the trigger without fear of it going off.
    The trigger is very crisp and I love the way you can adjust all the things about this release.
    I have small hands so I bought the medium and it fits me really well.
    Hope this helps,
    --grey squirrel
    >>>----------------------->
    Mathews DXT 26" 70#
    Elite ??? Hopefully Soon!
    The Flingin' Sling -- Custom Bow Slings and Bino Loops Send me a PM to order yours today.
    ProLineBowstrings National Shooting Staff
    Stan SX2 B-Stinger

Senior Member Eight Point ROCKETMAN's Avatar

I just spoke to someone as Lancaster who stated the SX-2 was loud when fired. It was presented that it would NOT make a good hunting release for this reason.

Thanks for your thoughts and time. I hope the OP is not upset with me posing this question.

Thanks again
    RM
    "Bones Heal, Chicks Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"
    cartersarchery.com Home of the Zen Master Bow Guru

Respected Member Ten Point ccasanova's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
    I just spoke to someone as Lancaster who stated the SX-2 was loud when fired. It was presented that it would NOT make a good hunting release for this reason.

Thanks for your thoughts and time. I hope the OP is not upset with me posing this question.

Thanks again
    RM
    I shoot an SX2 and don't really agree with that. Its definitely a lot quieter than other releases I've used or "heard" used. You should really try to get one in your hands if possible to judge for yourself. May not be able to, but give it a try.
    2006 NVG 6 5/8" BH Energy with Envy cams by S&S Archery
    2006 AT NVG 8" BH Energy with Rev cams
    B-Stinger, Spott Hogg, WB, ProLine, SilverFlames, Grim Reaper, Treelimb Premium, Victory