Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hunting arrow speed question?

Respected Member Ten Point ccasanova's Avatar

Default Hunting arrow speed question?

I've been shooting 325+ for a few years now and I'm wondering how much I would miss those 20-40 fps if I picked up a lighter draw weight bow.

I shoot my 70#er barn-burner comfortably, but could pull a 60# single-cam like butter. I think it would really make a difference hunting a thick, tight spot where movement matters even more. It would also help in cold weather.

Would I miss the 30-40fps @ 20yds and less?

The bow I'm looking to pick up is a SBLD. The brace height and light pull would make it a great close range or cold weather hunting bow and I could use my Energy/Envy for when I'm in more open areas with longer shot opportunities (and warmer weather).

Does this sould like a decent idea? Any thoughts?
    2006 NVG 6 5/8" BH Energy with Envy cams by S&S Archery
    2006 AT NVG 8" BH Energy with Rev cams
    B-Stinger, Spott Hogg, WB, ProLine, SilverFlames, Grim Reaper, Treelimb Premium, Victory

Respected Member Ten Point eliteshooter's Avatar

remember one thing when hunting speed does not kill accuracy does. If you can shoot the lower poundage bow more accuratly then that makes you a better hunter. The fastest bows out there are about half the speed of sound the deer is going to hear your bow before the arrow gets there anyway. The ol lady shoots 52 pounds and has shot pass throughs on deer and a 373 lb black bear with only 52 lbs. Shot placement is what matters not how fast your arrow is going. I think a lot of archers get caught up in the speed war. I myself go for the kinetic enegy more than speed a heaiver shaft for me thus less speed.think about it.
    I have a few elites

Senior Member Eight Point Nampom's Avatar

Accuracy and shot placement, a good sharp BH. I know of a lady that shot an Eland with a GTO, set at about 50 lb, Eland over a 1000 lb's.
    Roger @ VIERANAS SAFARIS

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen - Winston Churchill

Senior Member Forked Horn shaft-slinger07synergy445's Avatar

Default ?

There have been a lot of animals killed with slow bows. I just wouldn't try and stretch it out to far and keep it whisper quit. I like quit, where they don't know it's comin.
    The TRUTH is easier to remember
    1971 First Whitetail Archery Hunt

Senior Member Eight Point Nampom's Avatar

Very true on a lot of kills with lower bows.
    Roger @ VIERANAS SAFARIS

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen - Winston Churchill

Oh, I have no doubt the slower bow will kill just fine. And I agree, accuracy over speed anyday. The 9" brace should really help with tough shots in a treestand, too. My old Martin Prowler @ 64# was not exactly humping my 450gr arrows along, and I got a nice passthrough on a 185# buck 4 years ago.

Will I still be able to shoot 1 pin out to 20-25yds (hunting accuracy) @ 270-280fps?
    B-Stinger, Spott Hogg, WB, ProLine, SilverFlames, Grim Reaper, Treelimb Premium, Victory

Senior Member Four Point 5Points's Avatar

Question Do the Math

Quote Originally Posted by ccasanova View Post
    I've been shooting 325+ for a few years now and I'm wondering how much I would miss those 20-40 fps if I picked up a lighter draw weight bow.
    Do you insist on a single cam? I am not familiar with all bow makers specs, but the GT500, on paper can sling a properly sized 330 grain arrow over 325 fps., with a 60# bow. I did some chrono tests with a friend, and these bows will shoot within a few +/- fps of what they say they will on paper.

You can push a lot of numbers, but as mentioned, shot placement is everything.

I would be interested on peoples feelings about momentum vs. kenetic energy, vs arrow weight, speed and drop (trajectory tables). Where is more KE more critical than Momentum and vise versa, given average hunting range of archers. I probably should start a new thread on this, so as not to hi-jack this one.

Good luck,
    Last edited by 5Points; 01-25-2009 at 10:16 PM.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

The older I get, the better I was.

Yeah, the GT500 won't fit my 31" DL and my Energy/Envy is pretty much the same specs, maybe a tad faster.

I've had a 60# Energy, Envy, and GTO. The solocam is just easier to draw and let down easily. I don't know what it will be like going back and forth, though. Guess I'll just have to practice a lot with both.

Senior Member Four Point 5Points's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ccasanova View Post
    Yeah, the GT500 won't fit my 31" DL and my Energy/Envy is pretty much the same specs, maybe a tad faster.

I've had a 60# Energy, Envy, and GTO. The solocam is just easier to draw and let down easily. I don't know what it will be like going back and forth, though. Guess I'll just have to practice a lot with both.
    Just using that as an example. Numbers are funny.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

The older I get, the better I was.

Junior Member Fawn NocKed&LoAded's Avatar

assuming you shoot 5 gpp @ 70lbs you wont lose 20-40 fps shooting 5 gpp at 60 lbs...did I misunderstand the question???
    Last edited by NocKed&LoAded; 02-11-2009 at 10:53 PM.