Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Minimum draw weight/K.E. for turkey hunting

Senior Member Forked Horn Bullzeye's Avatar

Default Minimum draw weight/K.E. for turkey hunting

Anyone know what the minimum draw weight/ K.E. is to kill turkeys? Not sure how to ask the question, I'm trying to figure out when my son will be able to hunt turkeys with a bow. His draw length is 21" right now and he is shooting 25#'s dw. I haven't weighed his arrows or chrono'd the bow. Just wanted to know if anyone has some ball park numbers.

I hope he will be able to do it next year.

Thx.

Senior Member Four Point 7 DIRECTIONS's Avatar

I think it depends on the states regs. Here in Illinois I THINK it has to be a bow that draws 40 lbs pull. Believe me you want at least that to get through all those feathers and bones. It is amazing how they stop arrows from blowing through. Or you could go for the ol head shot- something I say I will try each year, and then chicken out when it's go time. For now have him call in your birds- my daughter is 21 months, and works a slate well until the attention span wears off at about 8 seconds. If I wasn't so worried about her grabbing the cams when I draw or getting hurt by the broadheads she would be turkey hunting with me this year.

I checked with the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries Department. The only thing I see for archery turkey hunting, relative to my question is this...
    Bows must be capable of propelling a broadhead arrow at least 125 yards.
    UHHH.... I agree with what you said, I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of what the min. KE is for harvesting a turkey. I have read somewhere that 40 ft lbs of KE is required to harvest a whitetail deer. Has anyone else read or heard this about deer?

Respected Member Ten Point Stag CATrapper's Avatar

I would say that if he can hit a four inch circle consistently at 20 yds and you limit the distance, then he should have no problem with a 30lb bow. I would use a cut on contact, 2 blade head though. I would not worry about someone else's KE suggestion but you can conduct your own penetration tests ease your mind. Heck, we are allowed and do shoot them with pellet rifles, so how tough can they be? LOL

Respected Member Ten Point jschulz's Avatar

I think a cut on contact broadhead out to 30yards should not be a problem as long as he's comfortable with it. Here in Indiana, we have a minimum draw weight of 35#.
    Elite GT500, G5 XR Sight & Expert II Rest, Victory V Force Arrows, Blazer Vanes, Treelimb PS Quiver, Doinker 10 1/2" Stabilizer, Ranger Bow Strings, Pathfinder Arrow Wraps & Decals, Chameleon Slingz Bow Sling

Senior Member Eight Point steve r's Avatar

Might wanna check with the state you reside in .here in ga the is no minium dw .
    Loves my elites.Speed bows from git -go.

Quote Originally Posted by steve r View Post
    Might wanna check with the state you reside in .here in ga the is no minium dw .

Already did, I just wanted information from others.

I checked with the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries Department. The only thing I see for archery turkey hunting, relative to my question is this...
    Bows must be capable of propelling a broadhead arrow at least 125 yards.

HardCoreHunter

In IA we have no poundage or draw length reqirement. I think your sons setup is a little too light personally, and there is no doubt he would need to shoot a fixed head. As an example, I shot 2 birds this spring at 20 yds with speed bows shooting 70#'s out of a 29" draw. I used Gobbler getter Spitfires, and both birds shot, the arrow did not leave the bird, but did get a complete pass thru. I am shooting some major kinetic energy with my setups. Turkeys' kill areas are so small, that I am glad I have the advantage of a using a mechanical on them. My girlfriend only shoots a 26.5" draw out of a 45 lb bow, and I wouldn't consider having her shoot a mechanical at a big tom.

Now, if he could get head shots and use a bullhead or Guilotine on them, then he would be able to put a tom down. Body shots with his light setup would be a no no imo.

I agree 100% with you on his current set up. I'm really looking at next spring. He MIGHT be able to draw enough weight to deliver a fatal shot by then. He just killed his first bird this spring with his 20ga. He needs to practice more than he does now before I would even let him go turkey hunting with a bow.

Thanks for your honesty....Keep it coming guys.

What brand broadheads do you guys think are best for youth turkey hunting with low poundage?

HardCoreHunter

any fixed blade that delivers good accuracy for him. My girlfriend is using slicktricks.