Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Only been noodlin once...

Senior Member Six Point venisun's Avatar

Awesome.
    GTO >>>MAULED BY BEARFOOT ARCHERY <<<
    300gr Arrow 336fps.. 390gr Arrow 298fps..

Respected Member Ten Point cordwood's Avatar

You're a redneck man! ...I wish I was half the redneck you are, but I gotta draw the line somewhere. Puttin my hand down into the water trying to get bit is crazy man!!! For one, ive seen snapping turtles around here capable of tearing off a limb(or at least a finger). And two, those cats are huge and can throw there weight around... I guess im just too chicken... Even if I did successfully get a big cat to bite my hand instead of a turtle, im afraid he'd break my arm off or drown me.

Awesome cats...but you're crazy man!

Cordwood and Lee's Custom Strings - coming soon!
    "Life is a dirty game, u need to play dirty to win"-@#Harris

P.Smash

My only real concern with the whole concept is a cotton mouth. A flathead nesting hole is always clean and smooth. Holes with leaves or sticks can mean a snake or a beaver could be hiding in there, either one is trouble. Once you know its clean you're in the clear.

Banned Stag

A real Redneck wouldnt be wearin sissy rubber gloves, j/k, pretty cool P.

Quote Originally Posted by P.Smash View Post
    Almost forgot, the 36 pounder in the picture had a 16" largemouth bass in its gut that would've prolly weighed nearly 2 lbs. The bass's tail was sticking out of it's throat. They're pretty amazing predators, people think they are slow or lazy, but to catch a bass of that size shows what kind of predators the flathead really are. Flathead are'nt like other catfish, they prefer live food, they're not scavengers. That's why I like 'em so much, they are hunters.
    Most people dont know the differance between a flathead, a blue, or a channel. I have several friends and family who thought they didnt like catfish until they tried flathead. The meat is white and flakey and I like it about as much as crappie. In Missouri were not allowed to noodle so we have to use bank poles or trot lines. I would love to try noodling sometime though!
    2011 Pulse Snow/AT
    2010 Judge Snow Camo

Respected Member Ten Point Stag DustyRx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ultramax View Post
    Most people dont know the differance between a flathead, a blue, or a channel. I have several friends and family who thought they didnt like catfish until they tried flathead. The meat is white and flakey and I like it about as much as crappie. In Missouri were not allowed to noodle so we have to use bank poles or trot lines. I would love to try noodling sometime though!
    How true that is. Oh the days of living in Texas between the Red River and the Sulphur River. There is a huge difference in farm raised channel cat and river flatheads.

P.Smash

Quote Originally Posted by L-train View Post
    A real Redneck wouldnt be wearin sissy rubber gloves, j/k, pretty cool P.
    I had to go in to the office that morning and I wear rubber gloves when cleaning them to keep the smell down. If you've ever cleaned a big flathead you'd know that the smell is almost impossible to get rid of for a while.
    Sometimes I dont mind the smell, but it's not very professional.

Senior Member Eight Point labdad's Avatar

Nice fish, I like to catch flatheads and blues. Noodling is fun but I havn't done it in years. Getting lazy, to easy to sit in the boat and catch them.
    Limited Edition TA GTO 64# @ 28.5"
    Elite E 500 64# @ 28.5"
    The start of a love affair
    Ninja E Force...Black Thunder
    FMJ Silverflames/Phathead
    Posten Spot Hogg
    Ford Tough

Senior Member Six Point cdhunter's Avatar

As a Canadian still can't wrap my head around shoving your hand in a fishes mouth for it to clamp down on!!!!!!! either way nice fish time to go get some walleyes.
    this awesome avatar is courtesy tough antler tees I stand in awe of his great work
    I live with fear every day and some days she lets me go hunting

Default Turtles

My dad tells me stories about "noodling", but I was always more baffled by the "feeling for snappers" that he and his brothers used to do. They would wade small streams, and feel for snapping turtles, reach in, pull them up, and put them in burlap sacks. He said you can always tell which end was the head because the shell was smooth there. It was sawtooth on the back end near the tail, so that was how they knew which end to grab.

I did "noodle" once, but that was only because I was on a Boy Scout Survival outing, and I saw a nice blue cat swim into a half buried barrel in some shallow water. Still pretty wild, I can't imagine if you couldn't see anything. I did eat well that night though.