Thread: Shot 3D for the first time

Senior Member Forked Horn Bullzeye's Avatar

Default Shot 3D for the first time

Last Sunday it was cold as snow covered the ground here in Virginia. The morning started off about 20* and the high was 30*. That would not stop me from going to my first ever 3D shoot. I shot the open class with my hunting bow because of my "moveable" sight. I ended up in 4th place out of 8 shooters. I scored a 254. I know that's not a great score but my goal was to go shoot, have fun and not miss any of the targets. I did everything I set out to do. I had a great time, met some really nice folks and scored several 10's and 11's. No missed targets.

I think I'm going to join this club. They have a shoot the 3rd Sunday of every month except during hunting season.

http://www.dixiebowmen.org/

Respected Member Ten Point Stag shootstraight's Avatar

Good to hear you had a great time, I did the same as you 3 years ago. I had some friends down there at that shoot on Sunday. If you heard a bunch of guys being really loud it was probably them. We have a shoot this weekend at Twin Oaks archery in Appomattox, not sure how far it is, but it's a great group of guys and we always have a blast.

www.twinoaksarchery.com
    2011 Pure Sno AT 29/60
    Frequent Frankenbower

Senior Member Six Point WVBowhunter10's Avatar

Glad you had fun. Don't pay any attention to the score, it will take care of itself. The second you begin to count points they will start to go down. Keep at it and continue to have fun.

You guys going to make any of the Mid Atlantic Challenge shoots that are down your guys way. I plan on making the trip down to NC as well as Spotsylvania. Then the last one is in Hagerstown, MD.

Respected Member Ten Point Stag TX Rattlesnake's Avatar

Keep it up Bullzeye and you will be scoring high before you know it. It is a great way to pass the offseason.

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I probably won't make any of those shoots, I don't have the time to make the road trips yet. My kids keep me very busy. However, I am going this Saturday to shoot the one at Ft. Lee in Petersburg, Va. Another close to home shoot!

Shootstraight, I did talk to a few guys from out your way last Sunday. They were telling me about the shoot in Appomattox also. One of the guys was Ron Beamer, he said he was kin to the Va. Tech Hokie football coach, Frank Beamer. They weren't very loud. But I did hear some guys hoopin' across the course from time to time.

Default 3-d

glad you had a good time!it's addicting,i and my family probably made about 45 shoots last summer up here in central wi.its not real exspensive,it takes somewhere between 2-4 hours and you end up meeting tons of cool people!what better practice is there during the summer.good luck!

wassaw

keep at it and congrats!
    i shot in my first the 20th of this month out in Austin,Tx. had a blast also and learnd alot about my range judging above the head and below the feet levels and lots of shadows, wow! hunter class with a lowly 259 posted out of 30 targets, i'm starting to dislike bobcats, fox's and coons.. that's a tiny 10 area!!! :O i think i'm gonna make some arrows out of closet rod for the next shoot!! LOL

Shot the course at Ft. Lee yesterday. I was doing great( for me ) until target #14. I judged the distance, set my sight yardage, took another look with the binos, then drew back for the shot. While at full draw, I was trying to locate that "mark" on the target when all of the sudden.....I squeezed the release. I didnt even have the pin on the target. I shot right under it. That gave me a big fat ZERO. After that I think I was done for the rest of the day. I never shot as well on the remaining 16 targets. I ended up shooting 249 in the open class. Oh well, I still had a great time.