Thread: Do you guys have to deal with dogs

Respected Member Ten Point Stag shootstraight's Avatar

Default Do you guys have to deal with dogs

Not sure if this is in the right section or not but here goes. So I took the day off hunting since I've hunted all week. Need to get some work done around the farm. Around 10:30 I hear a truck stop at the culdesac and about a minute later a couple of dogs are screaming through my property. It is legal to run dogs in our county, I guess I need to check to see what the law is on running them through someone elses property. Caught one of them and the tag has a guys name that doesn't even live in our county. He is not a landowner anywhere near us. Sorry but this drives me crazy. I plant foodplots and only bowhunt my 62 acres, I put a lot of work into it. Just doesn't seem fair somehow. There I feel better now.

Respected Member Ten Point Soumi's Avatar

The only dogs I've had to deal with are bear hunters and bird dogs. Bear hunters with dogs are plain obnoxious in my books. They chase their dogs in trucks with tracking devices and have no control where they go. The bird hunters at least hunt on huntable land.

If your land is posted, I would bet it's illegal for them to run them on your property.
    Elite Fire, AT, 60 lbs.
    Elite Ice, AT, 60 lbs. Gone
    Black Widow PSAX Bacote. <><

Yeah I know I need to check, my land is posted. I was thinking of running a scent line from the culdesac all the way down my drive to my kennel. I'll keep em for a couple of days and fatten them up nicely.

I like dogs but I've had some trouble with a neighbors dog even after talking with him. The same dog cornered my other neighbors wife once and wouldn't let her move. Pellet gun comes in handy for those moments. He doesn't come up here anymore.

I keep a pellet pistol ready and just a few pumps set on sting will do wonders in keeping a pesky dog away. Always have the .22 ready if I need it also since we've got alot of coyotes around, or if a dog gets nasty around my kids which in that case I'd have no second thoughts taking him out.

I believe it's a dog owners responsibility to keep their dogs on their property, keep them from barking and annoying others or being a danger to anyone. I've gone to great lengths to train my dogs to not bark, not leave our land and to behave around other people.
    Elite Fire, AT, 60 lbs.

I agree with that but that's more less common sense rules for neighborhood dogs. What I'm dealing with are beagles raised for one thing, to run deer. These guys must hunt some land close to mine so they just drop them off at the top of the drive and let them chase anything they can find. I had planned on working around the farm this morning and then hunt here this evening. Was no point, these dogs have been running my property all day.

Raised to run deer? Are you serious? Dogs that run deer around here are going to get shot, sometimes even by their owners.
    Elite Fire, AT, 60 lbs.

Junior Member Fawn

I've got a bit of a three strikes rule for dogs. First time talk to the owner, second time catch them and call the dog pound, third time employ the three "S" 's (shoot, shovel, shut-up).
    Crackerized 2005 Bowtech Allegiance 100# 29" Carbon Tech Safari, Bear Super Razorhead 620 Grain 290 FPS
    Martin Cougar Speed Flight 97# 29" CX 400 Bear Super Razorhead 401 Grain 266 fps
    "Do or do not, there is no try" -Yoda

The three s's that's hilarious

Senior Member Eight Point BAArcher's Avatar

Check with your local warden, I thing land owners have rights that prevent running dogs (intentionally) through your land. If not....The three "S" thing will stop it. The sad thing, its not the dogs fault.....Ignorant owners!
    XLR 60lb
    XLR 70lb
    Mathews Apex (sale pending)
    Hoyt Protec
    Suffer from BO-CD!