Thread: Do deer move while its snowing?

Senior Member Eight Point

Default Do deer move while its snowing?

It has been really cold here and they are calling for snow tomorrow. We dont get much snow here and so i am not sure about deer movement in snow. I know when it rains they dont move much until its over or before it hits. Is this the same with snow or do they move to food sources because they realize they have to eat now because of the snow cover that is coming? i know that this sounds like a stupid ? but we just dont get that much snow. i would love to wait until the next day after the snow but the wind will be wrong and tomorrow when the snow is flying its going to be the perfect wind for a stand that i am dying to sit! any advise would be most helpful. thanks

P.Smash

I have a ton of trail cam pictures from a real blizzard that we got the other night. Blizzards are pretty rare in these parts. Anyway the snow was coming down like crazy, being driven by 40 mph winds and I had deer feeding in front of my camera all night. Prolly more pics that night than any other that week.

Respected Member Ten Point benel3006's Avatar

Where I hunt it can start snowing in Oct right thru to April. (Granted the Oct snows melt away but by the end of Nov the snow may be there to stay.) In my experience the snow doesn't seem to bother movement as much as the wind. The snow is a lot quietier than the rain.

Senior Member Eight Point DrenalinHunter's Avatar

Its supposed to snow here in the morning and ill be out hunting so ill let you know!!! Lets hope they do
    2011 Elite Pulse
    Strict 9 Custom String's "Pick Your Poison"

Respected Member Ten Point Stag standsitter's Avatar

Default Yes.

They do move in snow, I have shot several in near blizzards, it is the wind that accompanies a storm that puts them under cover.
    "The Yankee Bowman"
    ----------------------------------------
    '08 LH GT500-65lb Next G1 ​sold
    09 LH Z28-70lb AP sold
    '09 LH Z28-60lb AP sold
    '10 LH XLR-60lb AP Snow sold
    '11 LH Elite Pure-70lb Max 1 sold
    '12 LH Elite Answer-70lb-AP Black ​​sold
    '13 LH Hoyt Procomp Elite XL-60lb- Orange with Black hardware
    '14 LH Hoyt Faktor 34-65lb- AP

Senior Member Eight Point DrenalinHunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by standsitter View Post
    They do move in snow, I have shot several in near blizzards, it is the wind that accompanies a storm that puts them under cover.
    Yep that wind is what makes them bed down...we have had bad wind all week really except this morning...theres supposed to be almost no wind in the morning with snow and then it supposed to start raining at around 11 in the morning so hopefully they will be moving
    2011 Elite Pulse
    Strict 9 Custom String's "Pick Your Poison"

Senior Member Six Point macilacc's Avatar

I hunted about a week ago in a snow storm. I had about 1" of snow on my camo so I was blending in very well! lol I saw 4 deer and one was a nice buck. He never gave me a shot but was within 40yds. It was really cool to see him shake off the snow like a dog getting out of the water!

Respected Member Ten Point Stag

Saw five at the woods we hunt during the snow today from my truck This was at 10:30 am.

Senior Member Eight Point

well they where moving like mad! saw 22 does! no shot opps. didnt set up on my big buck cause the wind was wrong so i just set in a ground blind i had set up next to some standing beans! they where on them like stink on sh**! lol