Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brace Height

Junior Member Fawn

Default Brace Height

Hey everyone, kind of a newb question...but..

How does a 6" brace height shoot different than a 7" one? What kind of trade offs does one get over the other..is it speed for the 6 and accuracy for the 7? Any input is appreciated, thanks!!

Sean

Respected Member Ten Point Stag Scablands's Avatar

More speed with the 6" because of an inch more power stroke with the same draw length.
    Trade off is a better chance of hitting sleeve when wearing bulkier clothing in the cold. It may feel a bit stiffer because you may feel more weight earlier in the draw cycle than you are used to.
    Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not
    me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've
    traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Respected Member Ten Point Stag Daniel Boone's Avatar

Default Sean

Quote Originally Posted by BigDeer View Post
    Hey everyone, kind of a newb question...but..

How does a 6" brace height shoot different than a 7" one? What kind of trade offs does one get over the other..is it speed for the 6 and accuracy for the 7? Any input is appreciated, thanks!!

Sean

The 6" brace heigth seems to work best for the shorter draw guys to get the speed. Longer brace heigth helps most shoot better.
    DB
    OK-Archery DST 40, 09 Elite Z28, Vortex binos 15X50 Vipers , Carter releases, Trophy Taker rests, Vapor Trail strings, Custom Bow Equipment sights, Goldtip arrows. B Stinger Stabilizers. Slick Tricks

Respected Member Ten Point THE PHENOM's Avatar

Technology has advanced so much that the 6" bh issues of the past are no longer there...They shoot like a 7''bh nowadays....

Respected Member Ten Point Stag TEXAS 10PT's Avatar

If you are new to shooting I would stay away from short brace heights. If you are a somewhat accomplished shooter then by all means. The Judge does not shoot like a 6" BH bow. My 6 5/8" BH Energy's are just as easy to shoot for me as the 8" BH's were but it is a longer ATA bow and I believe that makes a huge difference because I have a good string angle and my form is pretty good.

TEXAS
    2011 PURE MAX 1
    2012 ANSWER SNOW
    2013 PULSE MAX 1
    2014 ENERGY 35 XTRA
    Elite Archery Pro Staff

Proud Member of the Texas Boys
    BH and HTC Nashville

Quote Originally Posted by Scablands View Post
    More speed with the 6" because of an inch more power stroke with the same draw length.
    Trade off is a better chance of hitting sleeve when wearing bulkier clothing in the cold. It may feel a bit stiffer because you may feel more weight earlier in the draw cycle than you are used to.
    I went and shot the JUDGE last week. For some reason, everytime I shoot at cbarbers shop, I whack my arm, with a 7 inch brace. I shot the Judge, 2 as a matter of fact, and had no such thing happen. Picked up my Synergy, and slapped my arm silly again. The best shooting bow for me was a 6 inch brace Hoyt I used to have. At least until I bought an Elite. It was my first bow, and had no trouble. My form isn't great, but I just shoot 6 better. The Judge does not have an aggressive curve at the beginning. I like it better than the 08-09 GT500. I thought it was smoother. JMO

Respected Member Ten Point THE PHENOM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS 10PT View Post
    If you are new to shooting I would stay away from short brace heights. If you are a somewhat accomplished shooter then by all means. The Judge does not shoot like a 6" BH bow. My 6 5/8" BH Energy's are just as easy to shoot for me as the 8" BH's were but it is a longer ATA bow and I believe that makes a huge difference because I have a good string angle and my form is pretty good.

TEXAS
    I agree and feel the short bh bows shoot better with the longer ata....

Respected Member Ten Point Stag Scablands's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ntypicl11 View Post
    I went and shot the JUDGE last week. For some reason, everytime I shoot at cbarbers shop, I whack my arm, with a 7 inch brace. I shot the Judge, 2 as a matter of fact, and had no such thing happen. Picked up my Synergy, and slapped my arm silly again. The best shooting bow for me was a 6 inch brace Hoyt I used to have. At least until I bought an Elite. It was my first bow, and had no trouble. My form isn't great, but I just shoot 6 better. The Judge does not have an aggressive curve at the beginning. I like it better than the 08-09 GT500. I thought it was smoother. JMO
    I shot a PSE X 6" and a Synergy side by side a few years ago and had better luck with the 6" clearance X Force as well. I don't know why for sure because there was no draw board but I suspect the Synergy was close to 29" actual draw and the X around 27 3/4". X force set with 27" mod and Synergy set with 28" modules.
    I just stated that it MAY feel stiffer, really depends on the way the draw force curve is built into the cam. That's why we like to try them before we buy.
    Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not
    me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've
    traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Respected Member Ten Point Rev. Juan's Avatar

If you had a few years with a bow in your hands then don't worry 6''-7''-8'' you should be fine. If not go with a linger BH you will be glad. The new bows don't shoot nothing like the old ones but, you need to shoot some with different BHs to see what is good for you.
    09/10 Elite GT500 Ninja aka
    el fabricante de viuda
    NRA INSTRUCTOR
    SC CWP INSTRUCTOR

Junior Member Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Juan View Post
    If you had a few years with a bow in your hands then don't worry 6''-7''-8'' you should be fine. If not go with a linger BH you will be glad. The new bows don't shoot nothing like the old ones but, you need to shoot some with different BHs to see what is good for you.

I have been shooting for about 10 years now and I always had heard from people that I had asked archery questions too, to try and get a bow between 6-7" bh. I just didn't know what the trade off was. I'd say I am a fairly good shooter, have won some 3-d shoots before, so maybe going to a 6 is no big deal then...