Thread: Amazing turkey hunt!!!!

Default Amazing turkey hunt!!!!

I just wanted to share with you all about a group in the Toledo Ohio area that puts on a turkey hunt for people with disabilities. In cooperation with the NWTF the Maumee Chapter of the Wheelin Sportsman does an amazing job. We had the absolute honor of being asked to come and be part of this event last weekend. They wanted Faith at Full Draw to come and be guides for these hunters and film the event. When they asked I instantly said we would be there. I didn't really know what to expect foing into the event, I mean I had a good idea but the impact it made on my entire team was amazing. It started with a banquet Friday night in which they asked us to say the blessing over which was pretty cool. We got to meet our hunters that night and then Sat morning we hit the woods. Most of the 14 hunters are whheel chair bond for various reasons and they never get a chance to enjoy the outdoors like they did this weekend.

Denny Sharrone and I had the pleasure of guiding a hunter by the name of Mike. Two years ago Mike was a 24yr old 6'3" 270lb muscle freak. Had a lot going for him, then one night a cop with an itchy trigger finger wrongfully shot him in the back 15ft away with a .40cal. Mike was instantly paralyzed from the waist down and had tons of internal problems due to the shooting. His life as he knew it was completely turned upside down. Having the opportunity to spend many hours in the ground blind with him was amzing to say the least. Seeing how he gets around now and lives day to day would blow some of your minds. Bottom line is...we went there to be a blessing to those people and they ended up being a blessing to us. If you didn't leave that weekend and at some point had to wipe a tear from your eye, then there is definitely something wrong with you.

Anyways, Sat was a bust as we didn't see a single turkey. Denny and I scouted a new area, saw some sign and just knew we had to get Mike in there for Sundays hunt. At 5:15am we were in and all set up. Shortly after day break we heard some gobbles and that went on till 9am but still saw nothing. About 9:30am we heard a nice gobble couple hundred yards in front of us. We finally saw him about 130yds out, as soon as he saw the decoys he literally walked right to us. The big ol tom came in text book style and when he approached the 15yd mark Mike said "I'm going to take him"...I said "no your not...lol". I knew that turkey was locked onto the decoy and I knew that I could capture some amazing footage. He circled the decoy a couple times pecking away at it's head. He nocked over the hen decoy and as he made his way around around I gave Mike the go ahead and he dropped him at 7yds. The back ground in which this wasall filmed was amazing as is the entire hunt its self. Was it difficult getting him through the fields, woods and water in a wheel chair, sure was...but I would do that and even more anyday to be able to experience something like this again. These people are truly something special in how they over come their disabilities.

Well, sorry for the long post but this is just to good of stuff to not share. On with the pictures....

Here is myself (driving) Larry and Seth and Wayne in the back seat. We were on our way there, Denny met us at the dinner.

Here we all are at the dinner.

Myself and our hunter, Mike.

The footage I got a this bird coming in is....well, is some of the best turkey on a decoy footage I have ever seen.

One of the other hunters watching our kill footage I down loaded to the MAC real quick.

Denny, Mike and I.

The entire Faith at Full Draw team with Mike.

www.faithatfulldraw.com
    Elite GTO
    BuckEye Cam Pro Staff

Respected Member Ten Point Stag Grizz's Avatar

AWESOME! Thats all I can say.

Respected Member Ten Point Stag deerct101's Avatar

A wonderful thing you guys are doing. Keep up the good work.
    LH Energy 35
    LH GT500
    LH Judge

Senior Member Forked Horn

Thanks for the story and God bless you all for your kindness.

Respected Member Ten Point benel3006's Avatar

Great job! bet it won't be your last hunt helping out some one with some special needs. Like taking a kid youth hunting, these types of hunts can be much more rewarding than if your doing the shooting. Congrats and thanks for the post.

Great story! Kudos to you guys for donating your time and effort for truely a worthy cause. It's fantastic these less fortunate folks are out there getting it done. Again, well done gentlemen.
    2012 Answer 29/70
    2011 Pulse 29/70 a.k.a "Spitting Death" Too many other bows that are no longer relevant!

Senior Member Six Point Blacktail187's Avatar

Thats Great! God bless everyone involved
    2011 Elite Hunter 61#
    Sauk Trail Spirit recurve 50# / Stalker Recurves Tracker 40#
    KUIU / CBE / Widowmaker / VPA

Respected Member Ten Point Stag Chippy (aka Slippy)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail187 View Post
    Thats Great! God bless everyone involved
    wow.........
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body"

- Kevin Strother

Senior Member Eight Point Todd Imiola's Avatar