Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Arrow tilted downward for papertune?

Hybrid View

Respected Member Ten Point Stag eltaco's Avatar

Default Arrow tilted downward for papertune?

I just recently swapped rests, and got out shooting. The other night, I put some broadheads on and they were hitting low of target. Dropping the rest below level sorted out the problem in short order. Out of curiosity, I just put the bow through paper, and its shooting bullets. Everything seems to be shooting perfect... the only thing is that my arrow is tilted point down just a bit. To this point, I've set everything up level and had good results. Does this sound odd to anyone?

Respected Member Ten Point Stag chappy's Avatar

What rest?
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
    2014 RTX Elite Energy 35, 60lbs, 29", GT Velocity Pros, Limb Driver, Spot Hogg Real Deal ,Bstinger Sport, Slick Tricks and Hammer Heads.

Limbdriver Pro-V.

My groups are just as good as ever, and I don't see any funky flight... just that my broadheads were low of the fieldpoints. As the bubble sits currently, I'm getting bullets and a good broadhead tune. Just seems strange.

EDIT: Here's a pic of the bubble, currently.
    Last edited by eltaco; 08-18-2011 at 09:52 AM.

Senior Member Six Point longbow42's Avatar

Funny, I just put a Pro V on my bow and finished BH tuning and noticed the same thing. Twice, I leveled the arrow, but my BH's would hit high, so I kept lowering until they grouped, but arrow is pointing down a good 1/8-1/4". It seems to fly great out to 50 yards though, so I am going to leave it. My bow was a PSE VXL Hybrid.
    New Breed Eclipse 68# @ 33.5"/John's Customs Strings/CBE Tek Hybrid/Axion Pulse/Black Eagle Rampage/QAD Exodus 125
    2013 PSE Freak 63# @ 33.5"/BG Ascent/Axion Pulse/Black Eagle Carnivores/Gravedigger 125
    Thunderhorn Longbow 63# @ 32"
    John's Custom Bowstrings ~ Black Eagle Arrows ~ Dead Center Archery Products ~ Firenock

Quote Originally Posted by longbow42 View Post
    Funny, I just put a Pro V on my bow and finished BH tuning and noticed the same thing. Twice, I leveled the arrow, but my BH's would hit high, so I kept lowering until they grouped, but arrow is pointing down a good 1/8-1/4". It seems to fly great out to 50 yards though, so I am going to leave it. My bow was a PSE VXL Hybrid.
    That's interesting... we were having opposing BH flight?

My BHs were low of fieldpoints, moving the rest down seemed to bring them together. I was also having a point high tear through paper, which suggested the movement of rest should be down. Seems I had the adjustment wrong in my head, but it obtained a good result...
    Last edited by eltaco; 08-18-2011 at 10:41 AM.

When I get home tonight, I'll check to make sure I don't have any fletching clearance issues. Time to break out the baby powder, I guess!

Cams are sync'd and bow measures square.

I did move my nocking point just a bit higher since the rest was low. Before setting up this rest, I was setup as low as I could go, dropping the rest didn't seem like a bright idea

Well, it seems that there must be a contact issue somewhere... not yet sure if it was/is the rest or shelf.

I went home over lunch to play with this again... because it's been driving me nuts all morning. I slowly moved the rest up until I went point above level, and what do you know, the BHs came back to the FPs. I shot out to 40 and all of my pins are on. I've never had a concern for fletching contact before, so I'll have to figure out how to check it.

For what it's worth, I'm shooting Blazers with a pretty severe helical off of an Arizona Mini. I'm guessing I was low enough to cause a shelf clearance issue... just hoping its not this rest; I'd really hate to give it up!

Senior Member Four Point

Default Why change rests

That makes alot of sense that your bh's are hitting low with your arrow tuned point low. When you tune for bh's you always move the rest toward the field pts impact point. If bhs are hitting low of fp's then move the rest up. I do not think you have a clearance problem at all unless you powder test your shelf area and see some evidence of interference. I wouldn't change a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by eltaco View Post
    Well, it seems that there must be a contact issue somewhere... not yet sure if it was/is the rest or shelf.

I went home over lunch to play with this again... because it's been driving me nuts all morning. I slowly moved the rest up until I went point above level, and what do you know, the BHs came back to the FPs. I shot out to 40 and all of my pins are on. I've never had a concern for fletching contact before, so I'll have to figure out how to check it.

For what it's worth, I'm shooting Blazers with a pretty severe helical off of an Arizona Mini. I'm guessing I was low enough to cause a shelf clearance issue... just hoping its not this rest; I'd really hate to give it up!
    Elite Tour, Pulse, Pure, XLR, CBE sight & Scopes, Scott Releases, Trophy Taker Rests Carbon Express Arrows

Senior Member Six Point evworld's Avatar

Actually that is not that bad for a bubble. As long as the broadhead is hitting were you want I wouldn't worry to much about it. I had my bows tune worse in the past. I think allot has to do with how one grips his bow.

Junior Member Fawn

I am having a HORRIBLE time with nock low tear... I sync'ed the cams last night and set the knock and rest point at 90 to the string dead center the burgers. 3/4 in nock low tear every time.

I am shooting a 09 GT with a QAD pro. 400 easton axis at 28inch shaft length. 100g tips, with x2 blazers. the half size because of clearance issues.

I have set up dozens of bows (archery tech at gander mtn) and some tune more difficult than others... This one likes the nock point WAY high... so high that it seems wrong. The top of the arrow will be even with the top of the frist berger, and the bottom of the arrow will be even with the bottom of the second berger... I have not put a square on it but I would bet that I am pushing 5/16 to 3/8 inch above the 90 degree nock point.

This is shooting paper at 5-8 feet. like I have done in all of my other set ups and gotten bullets.

one more thing, the limbs are cranked down, and i added 4 twists to the cables, and it will not pull more than 65 lbs... was told it is a 70 bow. do I have to take the limbs off to see what the defeltion is? or where is the number located.

Matty